ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

11-09-2014, 11:03 AM   #1
basuni90
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 z4 3.0i

Stock Cross Brace Torque Spec?

Would anyone happen to know what the torque spec for the stock cross brace bolt is? The one that sits diagonally from the middle of the firewall to the strut towers?

I found this thread from before the past but it was left kind of uncertain. http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=357541

Thanks in advance

Last edited by basuni90; 11-09-2014 at 11:21 AM.. Reason: added link
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2014, 02:59 PM   #2
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by basuni90
Would anyone happen to know what the torque spec for the stock cross brace bolt is? The one that sits diagonally from the middle of the firewall to the strut towers?
There are two kinds of fasteners, so there are two answers. See this thread. Pics of different fastens on page 2.

http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthre...=504806&page=1
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2014, 11:17 PM   #3
basuni90
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 z4 3.0i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
There are two kinds of fasteners, so there are two answers. See this thread. Pics of different fastens on page 2.

http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthre...=504806&page=1
Thanks Finnegan. So I have the old nuts. Are both the nuts (firewall and strut tower) torqued to 41 Nm? Since I didn't have the specs earlier, I was attempting to estimate the torques by carefully increasing the values on the torque wrench to try and guess the torque spec. Once it seemed like I was tightening the nut further, I would stop. 41 Nm sounds about right for the nut on the firewall, but it seems a little high for the one bolted on the strut tower. I was getting a range between 20-25 Nm. I might be wrong though. Please advise!
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2014, 12:08 AM   #4
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by basuni90 View Post
Thanks Finnegan. So I have the old nuts. Are both the nuts (firewall and strut tower) torqued to 41 Nm? Since I didn't have the specs earlier, I was attempting to estimate the torques by carefully increasing the values on the torque wrench to try and guess the torque spec. Once it seemed like I was tightening the nut further, I would stop. 41 Nm sounds about right for the nut on the firewall, but it seems a little high for the one bolted on the strut tower. I was getting a range between 20-25 Nm. I might be wrong though. Please advise!
41nm, 30 ft. lbs for both strut tower and firewall. Use loctite or Nordlocks. These are prone to loosen again.
Appreciate 0