ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-21-2018, 09:02 AM   #1
Nate4641
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 M Roadster

Garage List
Water in driver side footwell

Cleaning my car yesterday I noticed the carpet was a little damp on the driver’s side. Today driving home from a cars and coffee that got shit down from heavy rain I reached down and could feel water pooling a little bit, enough o make a little splash when I pat it. It looks like it is coming in from between the two trim panels on the front of the door opening, but I can’t fogure out why or how to get the panels off. I soaked up as much water as I could and used a hair dryer to dry off more. Any ideas of how to get these panels off, or what I could do to stop this aside from not driving in the rain?
      07-21-2018, 01:37 PM   #2
antennahead
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MR silver grey

Garage List
Read this thread, especially the end of page 2:

https://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1090014
Appreciate 1
Nate4641149.50
      07-22-2018, 07:29 AM   #3
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

I just read the thread referenced. I noticed that early on in the thread I suggested using a smoke test machine to find water leaks. I still highly recommend this procedure. Had the OP in that thread used a smoke test machine he may have averted the several weekends of major disassembly to trace down the leak.

Smoke test machines can be had for under $150 (I have a Stinger brand one), or one can be built using a quart paint can and a few dollars in parts. The cheap smoke test machines use mineral oil as the smoke generating liquid, which is not pleasant to smell, so using it for finding interior leaks may not be the best idea. Using a professional smoke test machine that uses smoke-generating compounds that don't smell would be the better option.

My 2 cents.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2018, 06:18 PM   #4
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

Just recruit a friend who vapes.