ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

12-04-2008, 07:22 PM   #1
knuklz
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 Bmw Z4 3.0Si

covertible temptation

I went into the Bmw dealership today to pretty much take a look at the Z4's. I looked around for a coupe model but they didn't have any used ones at all..So i went to check out the Mcoupe and they didnt have any Z4Ms. So I was forced to look at the convertibles which I don't really mind its just I'm not to fond of the convertibles look at all.. but after sitting in one.. revving up the engine (3.0SI) the thing just purrs.. even with freezing tempatures outside the Z4 just purrs. I got out of the Z4 Convertible and the sense of enjoyment and I dont know how to describe it but man.. the convertible is really growing on me :P What a beautiful car..From what I heard the seating isn't all that comfortable and from what I experianced I'd have to say thats 100% incorrect.. The seats were just perfect.. The only flaw I'd have to agree with everybody on is the cup holders. Overall I can't wait to purchase my Z4 and as for a Coupe or Convertible, I was all about getting a coupe but after really taking a good look at the convertible.. I have to say it is really growing on me! I know this wasn't the greatest post I just thought i'd give it a go on these forums since I'm always on here reading about everything that pops up! Cheers mates!

-Chris
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2008, 07:33 PM   #2
Mikewarlover
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: white

I would highly recommand a convertible because the Z4 isn't deseigned as a coupe. The z4 was one of the few cars thats born to be a true roadster along with Boxster and s2000. plus the fact that the next gen z4 has a hardtop this will make the current z4 more memorable in the future. Unfortunately though u live in toronto and the winter is harsh there.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2008, 08:25 PM   #3
marcus1701
up all night
United_States
Rep
Drives: 3.0si, alpine white, auto, nav

I think if you really think the coupe design looks better than get it. Vert tops are hard and expensive to maintain....I put up with it because I love convertibles, but I'm 24 and find myself wanting more "grown-up" things like a 4 door sedan. The only thing I really don't care for about the coupe is its rear, and at certain angles, the car looks kinda funny. Also, when I sat in one....I felt like it was kinda claustrophobic...that's just me though. I think the coupe will hold its value though, and be better for people who want to put like a roll cage in or more luggage.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2008, 08:34 PM   #4
knuklz
Private
Rep

My buddy's think I should get a 350Z over the Z4 Coupe over the fact that it has more "Umph" he said the z4 is a overall nice ride to cruise with but he said you don't feel the power like you do in the 350z.. as if it doesn't give you the kind of heart stopping rush like the 350z.. Any takes guys?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2008, 09:26 PM   #5
pmeloche
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 F25 X3 xDrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by knuklz View Post
I went into the Bmw dealership today to pretty much take a look at the Z4's. I looked around for a coupe model but they didn't have any used ones at all..So i went to check out the Mcoupe and they didnt have any Z4Ms. So I was forced to look at the convertibles which I don't really mind its just I'm not to fond of the convertibles look at all.. but after sitting in one.. revving up the engine (3.0SI) the thing just purrs.. even with freezing tempatures outside the Z4 just purrs. I got out of the Z4 Convertible and the sense of enjoyment and I dont know how to describe it but man.. the convertible is really growing on me :P What a beautiful car..From what I heard the seating isn't all that comfortable and from what I experianced I'd have to say thats 100% incorrect.. The seats were just perfect.. The only flaw I'd have to agree with everybody on is the cup holders. Overall I can't wait to purchase my Z4 and as for a Coupe or Convertible, I was all about getting a coupe but after really taking a good look at the convertible.. I have to say it is really growing on me! I know this wasn't the greatest post I just thought i'd give it a go on these forums since I'm always on here reading about everything that pops up! Cheers mates!

-Chris
And you have not even try the M. For a long ride the regular seats will feel uncomfortable but the M seats are just perfect. I have a coupe and I would not change it for a convertible, mostly because of the Montréal weather. However, with the new Z4 and its hardtop it will be very tempting.

Patrice
2013 F25 X3 xDrive35i Vermillion Red
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2008, 09:31 PM   #6
pmeloche
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 F25 X3 xDrive35i

Quote:
My buddy's think I should get a 350Z over the Z4 Coupe over the fact that it has more "Umph" he said the z4 is a overall nice ride to cruise with but he said you don't feel the power like you do in the 350z.. as if it doesn't give you the kind of heart stopping rush like the 350z.. Any takes guys?
I think your friend is crazy. I have just done a 5000 km road trip from Montréal to Tampa to Montréal and I was getting bored with the Z4 while cruising on the highway because this car is meant to go on twisty roads and rather fast at that. However, the power of the M is readily available and the car handles incredibly but overall I would have prefered to do the trip in my X5. I can't wait to go in the Southwest or in the Rockies to fully enjoy the Z4MC.

Patrice
2013 F25 X3 xDrive35i Vermillion Red
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2008, 10:21 PM   #7
BZZZE
Evil Clown
Rep
Drives: 2007 MZ4 Roadster

Coupes are nice but if I wanted a hard top I would get one with a back seat. Of course I live near the beach and nothing beats a vert when driving along the water...especially at night. My Z4M roady is not my daily driver and I also am not a track junkie so nothing against the coupes but a roadster makes for an all around fun car. The bottom line is get the car that fluffs your skirt and everybody else's opinion be damned!

Last edited by BZZZE; 12-05-2008 at 06:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2008, 12:32 AM   #8
knuklz
Private
Rep

Thanks for the feedback everyone.. My friend didn't mean that the Z4 3.0Si isn't fast.. he just said that it doesnt have that like umph feel when u step on the gas.. like ur heart stops kind of feeling like the 350z does.. not sure how to really explain it
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2008, 12:45 AM   #9
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Z4MR

try one with a sport package, with sports mode on. it feels like a different car
      12-05-2008, 12:53 AM   #10
marcus1701
up all night
United_States
Rep
Drives: 3.0si, alpine white, auto, nav

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback everyone.. My friend didn't mean that the Z4 3.0Si isn't fast.. he just said that it doesnt have that like umph feel when u step on the gas.. like ur heart stops kind of feeling like the 350z does.. not sure how to really explain it
Well having driven a 350Z, I can tell you that it does go, but a 3.0SI is pretty much heart stopping....at least to me. It has a 0-60 of 5.1sec so it's faster than a 350. If you want "Umph" get a turbo car
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2008, 08:26 AM   #11
PKL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4, 2022 X6

Find yourself a used M Coupe! Just say NO to 350Z! CANNOT compare these German cars to a plastic Z from Nissan.

I was dead set on a 350Z about 4 years ago, before I got an '05 M3, and then an '06 M3, and then my Z4M. German Engineering FTW
      12-05-2008, 10:46 AM   #12
rc'Z
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Convertible

It's pretty widely known that the 350Z has a front in problem that eats tires. Nissan either can't fix it or doesn't want to.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2008, 06:20 PM   #13
buddrinker
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: Bmw Z4 3.0i

I love my convertible. Thats why I bought it. Wind in the hair and all that. I have taken it on many long road trips and love the passing power and the seats have givin me no problems. Just parked it a week ago for the winter. and I live in COld alberta. I do not think the 350Z could keep up to the z4 in the corners. I know a few guys with bikes that cannot keep up to me in the corners and I only have a 3.0...lol
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2008, 07:45 PM   #14
knuklz
Private
Rep

Thanks for the Responses guys.. I really appreciate the Feedback! As for Buddrinker, I might be moving out to Calgary in a few months how is it down there?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2008, 02:20 PM   #15
buddrinker
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: Bmw Z4 3.0i

Quote:
Thanks for the Responses guys.. I really appreciate the Feedback! As for Buddrinker, I might be moving out to Calgary in a few months how is it down there?
I live 5 hrs northwest of Calgary by Jasper. I am not sure how its been in Calgary for weather but you can pretty much count the number of days that have been below freezing on one hand. Today plus 5 deg cel and sunny. I could still be driving my Zed. No snow. Gotta love global warming...lol
Appreciate 0