ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-23-2010, 02:00 PM   #1
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

Intermittent Rubbing Sound

I get a rubbing sound that I believe is coming from the rear driver's side. It's periodic with vehicle/wheel speed. By that, I mean that the frequency with which the little "shik, shik, shik" sound occurs gets faster as I speed up. The best part, is that it's intermittent. It seems to most often happen after I've made a right turn.

When I first noticed it (last fall), I brought it in to the dealer and they didn't find anything. They also couldn't replicate it. I'll be taking it back in once I get my Jeep back from getting some work done but wanted to get your thoughts on what it might be.

I've popped the car up on jack stands and removed the rear wheels just for a visual inspection and didn't notice anything unusual (e.g. brake heat shield bent). The scary part is that, now that it happens more, it is sounding list it might be metal on metal.
      07-23-2010, 02:20 PM   #2
Hughbert
Guilty as Charged
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 Z4M Roadster

Do you notice it more when you are turning in one direction vs the other?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosstones View Post
I get a rubbing sound that I believe is coming from the rear driver's side. It's periodic with vehicle/wheel speed. By that, I mean that the frequency with which the little "shik, shik, shik" sound occurs gets faster as I speed up. The best part, is that it's intermittent. It seems to most often happen after I've made a right turn.

When I first noticed it (last fall), I brought it in to the dealer and they didn't find anything. They also couldn't replicate it. I'll be taking it back in once I get my Jeep back from getting some work done but wanted to get your thoughts on what it might be.

I've popped the car up on jack stands and removed the rear wheels just for a visual inspection and didn't notice anything unusual (e.g. brake heat shield bent). The scary part is that, now that it happens more, it is sounding list it might be metal on metal.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2010, 03:19 PM   #3
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughbert View Post
Do you notice it more when you are turning in one direction vs the other?
Happens more after a right turn. I hate intermittent problems!
      07-24-2010, 11:35 AM   #4
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

I had this (or similar) issue on my Z4M. It turned out being a very small rock that had made it's way between the brake backing plate and brake rotor to lodge inside the parking brake drum.
Appreciate 0