ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > Z4 DIY (Do It Yourself) Articles
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-29-2007, 11:59 PM   #1
unionjack
Conceited Prick
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe previously

Garage List
2007 Z4 M Coupe  [0.00]
BMW OEM MkIV Navigation System firmware update

Well thanks to the awesomeness that is x5world and their extensive technical threads, I was able to update my OEM BMW Navigation firmware to the latest and greatest version. Understand that I did not write most of this, I just rewrote a bit of it and tailored it to my needs and to make it a bit easier to accomplish. Again, many thanks to x5world.

This DIY is for the MkIV DVD OEM BMW Navigation System only!!!

Important: You can not simply do this procedure with the same version of firmware already on the NAV unit. If your NAV unit has V32 installed already and you create a new CD with V32 then it will not update the splash. You need to either upgrade or downgrade to a new or old unmodified version. Then re-install the newly modified splash version of the firmware. This is so the NAV recognizes that there is a new update.

Disclaimer:
Keep in mind that changes will be made to system ROM files and could seriously damage your navigation computer. The provided set of tools which will accomplish the aforementioned task are not Guaranteed to work 100%. As always, you take on any liability and responsibility for damages. If you need help try searching this thread first. Now with that out of the way here's a step by step guide. You will need some manipulation tools installed first.

Changes:
- BMW Nav firmware version 32
- Custom Splash (boot) screen) [OPTIONAL]
- USA English female voice changed to Great Britain female English voice [OPTIONAL]

Step One
Download latest firmware (v32) - http://www.megaupload.com/?d=IP0KD0O0

Step Two
Obtain UltraISO and Navtweak
GTK+/WIN32 Runtime Environment

Step Three
Using UltraISO, extract NAV_SW.mdf

Step Four
Changing the splash image

1. Load image onto PC
2. Locate "navboot" file. Usually located in \V_2\RR\0101\BMWC01S\app_sw\
3. Copy "navboot" to hard drive on PC
4. Using navtweak open "navboot"
5. Once opened, click "Image"
6. Now in the "rombitmaps" box highlight the first entry and using cursor scroll down to the image that you will change. Located at line 14.
7. Now select the gif you want to change by right-clicking on the line and selecting "save"
7. NOTE! the new splash image has to fit the screen so you'll have to edit it (with Paint, PhotoShop, etc...) by making sure that it has aspect ratio of Width 400 x Height 234 x Depth 8bit 96X96dpi, single frame. And saved as a *.GIF file
8. If the new gif image is larger than 4544KB then you'll need to check the box "Do not check file size"
9. If you're running into a problem with images not being recognized even after they meet the specs in step 7. Then you need to check the box read "complicated" gifs.
10. Now select the gif you want to load by right-clicking on the line and selecting "replace"
11. Voila!! now you have a new splash that will startup

I chose this:

Step Five
Changing the language

Navigate to
V_2/Voices/0502

rename usa_f.csf to 1usa_f.csf
rename gb_f.csf to usa_f.csf
rename 1usa_f.csf to gb_f.csf

V_2/language/0103

rename usa4f.tsf to 1usa4f.tsf
rename gb4f.tsf to usa4f.tsf
rename 1usa4f.tsf to gb4f.tsf

AND

V_2/language/0105

rename usa4f.tsf to 1usa4f.tsf
rename gb4f.tsf to usa4f.tsf
rename 1usa4f.tsf to gb4f.tsf

Step Six
Creating the Image

1. Start UltraISO (you will see window split into four sections)
2. Goto File->Open (locate the Navigation CD image of firmware) or Open CD/DVD
3. Once CD is loaded into "Image" window goto Actions -> Add Folder and replace \V_2\
4. You will be prompted to verify replacement. Select "yes"
6. Now you're ready to make the new ISO image. In the top left window labeled "Image", click the first entry (it will look like 20060220_120036 with a CD Icon) edit the line to reflect "NAV_SW" and press return
7. Goto File -> Save as .ISO

Step Seven
Burning the image to CD

1. Open UltraISO
2. Goto File -> Open and select NAV_SW.iso
3. Once open, Goto Tools -> Burn CD/DVD image
4. Change the write speed to the minimum setting then click "Burn"

Step Eight
Flashing the NAV system

1. Go to your vehicle and turn the ignition switch to position 1.
2. Let the navigation system boot up and get into a normal operating mode.
3. Leaving the system on (never turn the power off during these steps!!) eject the navigation DVD from your drive unit.
3. Load the new burned V32 disk into your Nav unit.
5. Watch your screen and be patient. Once it find the disc, the monitor will turn off.

6. A few minutes later, the monitor will turn back on. It says it will take 6 minutes to do the upgrade, but it doesn't take that long. When it’s done it will eject the CD automatically.

7. Put your navigation DVD back in the drive and make sure everything is working properly.

Images courtesy x5world.

AW/IR | Premium Package | Heated Seats | Navigation | Valentine One | Shorty Antenna | Black Kidney Surrounds

Last edited by unionjack; 11-17-2008 at 05:36 AM.. Reason: Updated link and reference to latest version
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2007, 09:37 AM   #2
em2b96p
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: cbr600rr

i just updated my v29 yesterday using winrar and imgburn.

questions:

1) when i DL navtweak, i extract it, open the folder and when i click on the program i get the message " this application has failed to start because libgdk-win32-2.0-0.dll was not found. re-installing the application may fix this problem" so ive tried to DL it using the other ones and i still get the same message.

2) i can see you use navtweak to change the splash screen. now do i use that also to change the navi voice as described in step 5?
thanks unionjack!

Last edited by em2b96p; 06-30-2007 at 10:40 AM.. Reason: added questions
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2007, 10:10 AM   #3
unionjack
Conceited Prick
Rep

Garage List
2007 Z4 M Coupe  [0.00]
you'll have to downgrade to v28 then back up to v29 as the system will only update if it sees a different version.

AW/IR | Premium Package | Heated Seats | Navigation | Valentine One | Shorty Antenna | Black Kidney Surrounds
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2007, 11:05 PM   #4
em2b96p
Private First Class
Rep

ok i dont see the audiotext option nor the GAL option.

can you explain what nav-vol +/- does? the manual tells how to adjust but not what it does..

also is there a way to select certain POI icons to show up on the map? such as gas station and restaurants..
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2007, 06:16 PM   #5
kopite4eva
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335d A SE Coupe

I get the same problem when running navtweak.exe failed to start because libgdk-win32-2.0-0.dll was not found. re-installing the application may fix this problem"
Quote:
Originally Posted by em2b96p View Post
i just updated my v29 yesterday using winrar and imgburn.

questions:

1) when i DL navtweak, i extract it, open the folder and when i click on the program i get the message " this application has failed to start because libgdk-win32-2.0-0.dll was not found. re-installing the application may fix this problem" so ive tried to DL it using the other ones and i still get the same message.

2) i can see you use navtweak to change the splash screen. now do i use that also to change the navi voice as described in step 5?
thanks unionjack!

Wife's car (my old one) 330ci Clubsport Estoril blue, with all the extras you can wish for.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2007, 04:46 AM   #6
unionjack
Conceited Prick
Rep

Garage List
2007 Z4 M Coupe  [0.00]
Sorry folks, I forgot about the GTK+/WIN32 Runtime Environment you need for navtweak. I updated my original post.

nav-vol +/- allows you to adjust the volume for the Nav voice.

- No, you do not use navtweak for the voice. Simply rename the voice files as described.

Appreciate 0
      07-04-2007, 11:40 PM   #7
em2b96p
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by unionjack View Post
Sorry folks, I forgot about the GTK+/WIN32 Runtime Environment you need for navtweak. I updated my original post.

nav-vol +/- allows you to adjust the volume for the Nav voice.

- No, you do not use navtweak for the voice. Simply rename the voice files as described.
is the nav -vol +/- same as using the nav voice in the settings?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2007, 12:27 AM   #8
RCNet
Woof!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Ti Silver Z4 M Coupe

Using unionjack's instructions, I just changed my splash screen to this.
Name:  Z4M_splash.gif
Views: 69079
Size:  37.7 KB

If you have already upgraded to V29.1 and now want to add your own custom splash screen or make other changes, you can make a custom release of the SW so that your car will upgrade to include your new changes. Also from our friends over at X5world are the quick and easy instructions.
Quote:
Alternatively you can upgrade to your "custom" version by branding it to a number higher than 29.1: hex-edit files lng_rel.tbl and sw_rel.tbl in \V_2\RR\0101\BMWC01S. The first four bytes "0910" indicate the software version (29.10). You can simply edit the fourth byte to brand your custom version as 29.11.

These are binary files. Do not use but hex-editors with them.

Last edited by RCNet; 07-15-2007 at 12:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2007, 05:55 PM   #9
Veruca
Private
Rep
Drives: 06 M Roadster

Garage List
2006 M Roadster  [10.00]
While downloading these files, I realized that they are exe files. What if i'm on a mac?
      09-06-2007, 11:51 PM   #10
RCNet
Woof!!
United_States
Rep

I too am a Mac user. If you just want to download the latest version of the Nav Software and burn it without any tweaks, then just use "Disk Utility" and burn the image. I did that when I initially upgraded to V29.1

If you want to go ahead and add a custom splash screen to the image, you will be forced to use a Windows computer. I have Parallel's Desktop virtualization software on my iMac so I can run Windows XP side by side with my mac software. When I updated my splash screen I did all of the graphic editing on the mac side of things and then just used UltraISO and Navtweak on the windows side of things to create the new image and update the revision number.

RCNet
      09-07-2007, 05:24 PM   #11
Veruca
Private
Rep

Garage List
2006 M Roadster  [10.00]
Thanks!
      09-14-2007, 11:18 AM   #12
Veruca
Private
Rep

Garage List
2006 M Roadster  [10.00]
OK, I messed around with this last night on my husband's computer until about 1:30 a.m. Couldn't be more pleased with the results. My next step is to change the icon that represents where you are to be something that resembles my car. So if anyone has any Super Mario like graphics of our cars please post them. It needs to be something simple.

Here is my accomplishment.

And now I have 3d maps - though I'm not completely sure it comes from this update. I think it's the one where you go into the hidden menu and change some settings. I'll have to check on that.

I also put this picture up as the splash screen but I couldn't get it to show when I was there with the camera of course.

09-24-2007, 03:51 PM   #13
z3speed4me
Need a replacement.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4 wheels

i saw that you can change the picture of the sky on the x5 thread...ima bout to try that too!
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2007, 09:54 AM   #14
jarrow
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 Z4 3.0i

Garage List
2004 z4 3.0i  [2.00]
Which file contains the accept screen?
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2007, 06:59 PM   #15
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Any pics of your car UJ?
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2007, 07:51 PM   #16
unionjack
Conceited Prick
Rep

Garage List
2007 Z4 M Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Any pics of your car UJ?
Here's an old one taken by a friend of mine. It's been dropped since then and I'll be ordering some goodies real soon that won't be revealed until it's complete.

Appreciate 0
      01-14-2008, 10:39 AM   #17
kav
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4M

Figured it out.. Going down to try to install the disc. Wish me luck!

Last edited by kav; 01-14-2008 at 04:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2008, 06:07 PM   #18
kav
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

okay. got it installed thanks to these instructions. Now when I turn off the car and restart it there is not warning or splash screen? Also my voice activation is still a male voice?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2008, 09:21 PM   #19
RCNet
Woof!!
United_States
Rep

kav,

I've found that the splash screen doesn't appear every time you start the car. I haven't figured out the rhyme or reason for when it does appear. It usually shows up after the car has been sitting for a while. Also, I don't think that the tweaks change the voice from "voice activation", but instead changes the voice of the spoken directions from the navigation. Somebody feel free to correct me if that's wrong.

RCNet
      01-14-2008, 09:36 PM   #20
kav
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCNet View Post
kav,

I've found that the splash screen doesn't appear every time you start the car. I haven't figured out the rhyme or reason for when it does appear. It usually shows up after the car has been sitting for a while. Also, I don't think that the tweaks change the voice from "voice activation", but instead changes the voice of the spoken directions from the navigation. Somebody feel free to correct me if that's wrong.

RCNet
Thanks for the reply.

I left the car for a while then restarted and this time only got the warning screen and no splash screen.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2008, 03:52 PM   #21
Epiks48@aol.com
Registered
Rep
Drives: '07 3.0si

Software Update

Hey Guys, I am new tp the site, I have looked over all these intructions, I am wondering if someone has the cds for me to just install. I would pay for them via pay pal. I am running an older mac, so it will be pretty difficult.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2008, 03:11 PM   #22
M2audioman
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Same for me. Anyone have a CD they can send me for a few bucks?
Appreciate 0