ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

02-13-2011, 10:00 PM   #23
roo97ss
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4, X6M, Tesla Plaid, MYP, Ram

the problematic autos were in 01-03 cars. nearly all 04s are ok.

I had a 01 325ci with 48k and the trans go.

They were zf units compared to the GM one they are using in the cars you're looking at.

As far as pricing for rebuild/replace.
a rebuild is 3500 at indy shop and 6000 from bmw...

But as everyone else has said, the car you're looking at is a 2.5 auto with 76k, other than white and sport package there's nothing there for my fancy. find a car with lower miles or grab a 3.0, you won't be disappointed by the extra power, especially if you're going with an automatic.
      02-14-2011, 06:49 AM   #24
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by roo97ss View Post
the problematic autos were in 01-03 cars. nearly all 04s are ok.

I had a 01 325ci with 48k and the trans go.

They were zf units compared to the GM one they are using in the cars you're looking at.

Thanks for that. My car is an '06 so I expect its okay.

But what do you mean by "zf units" and "GM ones"? Is that a different type of transmission used in different production years?

Cheers

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2011, 07:07 AM   #25
pokeybritches
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: ESS/G-Power Z4M, VF Z4, 996tt

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4M  [10.00]
2006 BMW Z4M  [8.50]
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz-Z View Post
Thanks for that. My car is an '06 so I expect its okay.

But what do you mean by "zf units" and "GM ones"? Is that a different type of transmission used in different production years?

Cheers
I'll look for a link I had about the transmission choices. I thought the ZF were in all the 6 speed manual cars, whereas the GM was in the 5 speed... but this is off the top of my head and very vague, so treat it like I'm saying that you should do a little more research rather than a statement of facts on my part.

I do know that companies like ESS typically limit the power on the automatics. They aren't built as strongly as the manuals, but I also haven't heard of them failing prematurely.

Edit: 2003 automatics (both the 2.5i and 3.0i) had a ZF 5HP19 transmission. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZF_5HP19_transmission

According to realoem.com, the 2004 2.5i shares its transmission with the 2.5L E39 and E46 models. P/N 24001423931

Last edited by pokeybritches; 02-14-2011 at 07:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2011, 07:36 AM   #26
bhoch
SSGT USMC - '78 - '86
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si

Garage List
2007 BMW Z4  [7.33]
I have the sport package on my 3.0si. I don't find it spine jarring or anything like that. It is firm, though, but it has the type of ride I actually wanted when I was looking to purchase.

I know nothing about the automatics, as I have a manual.

Like others have said, test drive the one your looking at - and try to test drive a couple different ones before making your decision.

They are nice cars to drive and a lot of fun.

2007 3.0si Roadster Black/Red, sport, Piano Black F14 Forgestar's
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2011, 10:02 AM   #27
roo97ss
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4, X6M, Tesla Plaid, MYP, Ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokeybritches View Post
I'll look for a link I had about the transmission choices. I thought the ZF were in all the 6 speed manual cars, whereas the GM was in the 5 speed... but this is off the top of my head and very vague, so treat it like I'm saying that you should do a little more research rather than a statement of facts on my part.

I do know that companies like ESS typically limit the power on the automatics. They aren't built as strongly as the manuals, but I also haven't heard of them failing prematurely.

Edit: 2003 automatics (both the 2.5i and 3.0i) had a ZF 5HP19 transmission. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZF_5HP19_transmission

According to realoem.com, the 2004 2.5i shares its transmission with the 2.5L E39 and E46 models. P/N 24001423931
correct here, the zf was the problem unit, used in 03 models. i believe that some later production 03s might also have the GM trans which is pretty solid.

http://www.noreverse.org/complaints.html
      02-14-2011, 10:14 AM   #28
MinneapolisJeff
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2003 BMW Z4 3.0i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipkiller View Post
There are only two belts on the car. The main serpentine belt and the air-conditioning belt. I would change them every 50K or so. They are cheap. Less than $100 for parts.
^^^this^^^
nice little project to get used to the car, did this when I first bought my 03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
If you are a starving student make sure you can afford it for good at your current income. You are not guaranteed a job at graduation (as my brother has realized, sadly)
glad you commented first on this Hawkeye I love how that generation has a sense of entitlement...
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2011, 10:19 AM   #29
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roo97ss View Post
correct here, the zf was the problem unit, used in 03 models. i believe that some later production 03s might also have the GM trans which is pretty solid.

http://www.noreverse.org/complaints.html
Thanks!!! I'll sleep well tonight knowing that!

Appreciate 0
      02-14-2011, 11:09 AM   #30
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by fakepatron13 View Post
Don't get it, for the following reason:

1. A 2003-2008 (Z4 WITH THE SPORT PACKAGE) will break your spine. BMW did a Terrible job on the sport chassis set-up of the Z4 that come with the sport package. You will feel every single bump, pothole, and imperfection on the roads. Make sure you take the car for an extended test drive all over city (freeway, hills, uneven pavement, city driving, etc) While the handling is great, unfortunately, that does not make up for the unacceptable ride pattern with the sport package. I know many owners will disagree with me on this but I am speaking from experience. I traded my 04 Z4 with the sport package and bought the redesigned/face-lifted 07 Z4 (no sport package), A WORLD OF DIFFERENCE. Because of your financial situation, try getting an 04-06 that does not come with the sport package.

2. If he is a real dealer than you should be meeting him at the dealership lol, and no where else.
WHO ARE YOU? and what are you talking about?

Your issues with ride quality are more a function of the runflat tires, not the sport suspension. I as well as many others here have the sport suspension and none have ever complained about its harshness, if anything some of us wish the shocks were even firmer.
      02-14-2011, 11:40 AM   #31
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubbedown View Post

Your issues with ride quality are more a function of the runflat tires, not the sport suspension. I as well as many others here have the sport suspension and none have ever complained about its harshness, if anything some of us wish the shocks were even firmer.
I agree 100%. I replaced my run flats last August with conventional tires and in my opinion, the improvement in the comfort, smoothness of ride and elimination of steering twitch (tram-lining) is nothing short of spectacular. My wife has gone from hating to drive the car to being unable to wait to get her hands on it come spring.

You have to recognize that in order for a run flat tire to support the weight of the car without collapsing when it has no air in it is entirely due to a very stiff sidewall. that stiff sidewall transmits all road irregularities directly to the suspension system of the car. In non run flat equipped cars, there is a softer side wall that flexes and absorbs some of the resulting shock. So, that is why Z4s with run flats exhibit a harsh ride.

Appreciate 0
      02-14-2011, 11:44 AM   #32
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubbedown View Post
OMG - its Jeremy Clarkson!!!!!

Appreciate 0
      02-14-2011, 12:29 PM   #33
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
^^ Agreed. This noob is completely out of line. I love my Z4 WITH THE SPORTS PACKAGE and it is definitely not that harsh of a ride. I would highly recommend a 2003-2008 Z4 WITH THE SPORTS PACKAGE over the slower counterpart any day of the week.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2011, 01:02 PM   #34
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
^^ sport button alone makes it worth it.
      02-14-2011, 02:22 PM   #35
fighting_fish
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2.5i Z4 2004

I read somewhere (don't know if it's true) that the sport package suspension just lowers the car 15mm, but that the springs are virtually identical, just shorter; and therefore just as stiff.

The other differences with the sport package are the larger wheels, and supposedly it's tuned a little more aggressively in regards to throttle response and steering.

I have the sport package on mine but I was led to understand that it wasn't such a big difference. The sport button is standard on all of them.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2011, 02:47 PM   #36
ANUSTART
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4

New rubber makes it a completely different car. Can't speak to the sport button, mine is base without it, but it was a real pain in the arse before I put my Continentals on.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2011, 10:03 PM   #37
bdejong11129
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 87 E30

Look, I have a 3.0 with sport and the dreaded automatic. So here is how the car actually performs. I drive over 75 miles every day as part of my commute. My Z4 is my main car and a daily driver. It does not crush my spine and it is not jarring. Oh. And I am a very tall and large man so if anyone was going to feel it, I would.

I love the sport button. I love what the car feels like when it is pressed. Changes the whole feel of the car. As for the automatic. Phoey on all the naysayers, I have had several with the automatic and they all went past 200k. my car has over 100k on it and it will easily last the next several years at which time I will find another shiny Bmw to plant my ars in.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2011, 10:18 PM   #38
bdejong11129
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 87 E30

And as far as 3500 to replace that is bull as well. There are several writeups for fixing it and just in my area there are several shop that can repair it for as little as 1200 complete. The 3500 is for Bmw to do it and that is always losing proposition.

Whenever I hear people make absolute statements I count them as not very informed. The truth does somewhere between the everyone will fail and none of them will fail which is like another item on the car.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2011, 11:44 PM   #39
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Me

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by fighting_fish View Post
I read somewhere (don't know if it's true) that the sport package suspension just lowers the car 15mm, but that the springs are virtually identical, just shorter; and therefore just as stiff.

Nope. The sport package on the 03-08 Z4's did NOT adjust the suspension.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2011, 12:39 AM   #40
FerRrari
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Catrinel Menghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
If you are a starving student make sure you can afford it for good at your current income. You are not guaranteed a job at graduation (as my brother has realized, sadly)
Agreed, just wait until you have a stable job, it'll be a lot more rewarding knowing you can afford the car, gas, insurance, etc.
'07 IR/SBL ///M Roadster (GONE), '08 Tornado Red Triumph Daytona (GONE), '09 BRG/Cloth 6MT MINI Cooper S (Spontaneously Combusted), '06 IR/IR ///M3 Convertible 6MT (GONE), '04 JB/CR Z4 2.5i SMG (GONE)
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2011, 01:13 AM   #41
Swashplate
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: in Anger.

Garage List
May I please say this. We don't yet know if she already has an offer.
Or her Major, so let's not do her Father's job or jump the gun.

Remember, life is short and unpredictable.

Enjoy it while you can. Is that not why we bought cars like these?

You could die tomorrow! Embrace every moment. Embrace every loved one.

But be smart about it! Because having a car payment for something that makes you suffer every time you make a payment doesn't make sense.

Remember She probably doesn't have kids or a house payment. That makes a big diff.
!!! BOILER UP !!!
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2011, 04:05 AM   #42
imom
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Subaru BRZ ....... Z4MR (SOLD)

I've had a 3.0SI and the sport suspension is not rock hard as one of the member claims, unless he's been riding a 1975 Cadillac. It is a bit rougher...not nothing like an M suspension. I have an M now, and I was returning the 3.0SI from a lease, so the differences was there.

Timing chain doesn't require maintenance...unless there's been some major abuse.

I recommend you take it to a mechanic you trust and has lift so he or she can inspect under the car and look at the frame and make sure it hasn't been in an accident.

Also the mechanic can help you see if the motor is acceptable. You may have to ask for a engine compression test...not sure if they will do it for you unless you ask.

I'm also in LA area... if you need a referral for mechanic, just PM me. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2011, 12:47 PM   #43
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBroker View Post
May I please say this. We don't yet know if she already has an offer.
Or her Major, so let's not do her Father's job or jump the gun.

Remember, life is short and unpredictable.

Enjoy it while you can. Is that not why we bought cars like these?

You could die tomorrow! Embrace every moment. Embrace every loved one.

But be smart about it! Because having a car payment for something that makes you suffer every time you make a payment doesn't make sense.

Remember She probably doesn't have kids or a house payment. That makes a big diff.
Better to have loved, gone broke and then lost, than to never had loved at all, eh? I appreciate your statement in most aspects of life... maybe not this one though. Living without my car now that I have had one would suck.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2011, 08:16 PM   #44
z4girl
Rep
Drives: X3

Thanks for all the great info everyone! Especially regarding the automatic transmission!!! But unfortunately I'll have to stick with an automatic because my brother thinks a manual is a no no for me, especially with the LA drive - he says it'll be expense to replace the clutch and etc. I guess I'll just have to find one with much lower miles. I actually went to see the car today and sadly it was a bust. It was DEFINITELY not what I saw in the pictures... ultimate fail...

But I haven't given up... I'm still searching for the perfect one~

Re: my current status, I'm currently in my last year of law school but I have enough saved up to buy a used z4. I'm hoping to spend no more than about $13,000.

I found a few more Z4s possibly in my price range, but they're SMG transmissions. From what I understand they're "automatic manuals." My brother is advising against it because he says it's super expensive to change the clutch and etc. Any thoughts? And thanks again for being so helpful~

I can't wait to hopefully join the z4 club and be a car fanatic like my bro is - but he's an Audi fanatic haha
Appreciate 0