ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Cosmetics Modification (Exterior/Interior) Discussions
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-27-2014, 12:58 PM   #1
SwissArmy
Why so serious?
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4; BMW X5; BMW 733

Spyder Headlights

Hey guys,

I am looking to purchase Spyder Headlights to replace my Bi-Xenon headlights.

Can someone please tell me if I purchase the HID version of Spyder headlights, will it be a direct plug and play? Or would there need to be any splicing involved?

Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2014, 09:08 PM   #2
brock5ga
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 03 Z4 3.0i

The Spyder lights listed to replace the xenon headlamps are plug and play, though they convert to halogen and will not take the stock xenon lamps and controls. I purchased the HID conversions for both the low and high beams, as the high beam in the Spyder is the flash-to-pass lamp in the xenon oe lights. Disappointed with the HID in the low beam through the projectors. The high beams take about 5 seconds to warm up, in which time you have little to no light, but then put out a good amount of light. This is ok if you dim and go back to bright in a short period of time as not to allow the lights to cool. Bottom line is the Spyder lights look great in the front of the car. If you don't mind the halogen lights, then no problem. If you are expecting anything similar to the xenon lights, even with HID kits, you will be disappointed.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2014, 06:45 AM   #3
SwissArmy
Why so serious?
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4; BMW X5; BMW 733

Quote:
Originally Posted by brock5ga View Post
The Spyder lights listed to replace the xenon headlamps are plug and play, though they convert to halogen and will not take the stock xenon lamps and controls. I purchased the HID conversions for both the low and high beams, as the high beam in the Spyder is the flash-to-pass lamp in the xenon oe lights. Disappointed with the HID in the low beam through the projectors. The high beams take about 5 seconds to warm up, in which time you have little to no light, but then put out a good amount of light. This is ok if you dim and go back to bright in a short period of time as not to allow the lights to cool. Bottom line is the Spyder lights look great in the front of the car. If you don't mind the halogen lights, then no problem. If you are expecting anything similar to the xenon lights, even with HID kits, you will be disappointed.
Thanks Brock.

Pictures indicate a blue/white light output. As long as they aren't the halogen dirty white/yellow output I'm fine.

I guess it's time to get me some new headlights, and put my current headlights up here for sale.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2014, 01:50 PM   #4
misterawa
John 14:6
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by brock5ga View Post
I was actually considering the Spyder headlights before, but not anymore. Thx!

Mods: Eibachs/Konis, Eibach camber kit, JTD RSMs, 19" WedsSport SA67, Hamann headlight trim, Aero front bumper, Aero sides, AC Schnitzer side deflectors, Hella euro taillights, Hardtop, Dinan strut & supplemental bars, RD Sport intake, Dinan Stage 2 Software, RPI scoop, Bastuck catback exhaust, Radenergie CF engine cover...
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2014, 02:17 PM   #5
M-Power M3
Retrograde
Rep
Drives: Bagged Z4

^^I was as well. I really wish you could buy just the headlight covers for our lights like you can on the e46's. I'd rather bake off my old cover and replace it than opting for cheaper aftermarket lights just to have non hazed lenses.

I've gone through getting them buffed multiple times and they keep hazing back up.

Bagged TT 225Q SOLD - e46 M3 SOLD - W202 SOLD - e46 325i SOLD
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2014, 02:19 PM   #6
speddmn
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 05 3.0i

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-Power M3 View Post
^^I was as well. I really wish you could buy just the headlight covers for our lights like you can on the e46's. I'd rather bake off my old cover and replace it than opting for cheaper aftermarket lights just to have non hazed lenses.

I've gone through getting them buffed multiple times and they keep hazing back up.
ditto

buffbuffbuffbuff

bags are for groceries.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2014, 11:39 PM   #7
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

I put headlightarmor on mine and they're holding up really well.
I can see some haze along the top where the sheet doesn't cover, so without it I think they'd be all hazy again by now.
      06-07-2014, 06:37 PM   #8
threeOZ
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4 3.0 Sport, Prem, Conv

Mine are 2-1/2 years old and still look like new.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2014, 09:54 AM   #9
E86Z
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 3.0si

Quote:
Originally Posted by StickMon View Post
I can see some haze along the top where the sheet doesn't cover, so without it I think they'd be all hazy again by now.
Exactly what is happening with mine as well. Lamin-x headlight covers was one of my best purchases for the car
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 04:29 PM   #10
SloMo
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Convertible

Guys i've been trying to figure what it will take to make them work on my car. Forgive me if i'm repeating a question that's been asked before but i have a 2003 3.0 Sport with stock halogen. I'm looking at the spyder headlight assembly and it says it's prefitted with HID. Here's the ones i'm looking at: http://www.protuninglab.com/20bmwz4e...id=18283950120

Will it plug and play as it says? I see a lot of people going from OE Xenon to Spyder but haven't heard about what it takes to go from OE Halogen to this setup?
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2014, 12:17 PM   #11
SloMo
Private
Rep

So i pulled the trigger and tried them out myself. They went on fine, the beams were not aligned so i had to adjust them. However took me a little bit to figure out where the left right knob was. Work well but i haven't tested them out on the road at night yet. The projector cutoff is good, but toward the edges looks like it curves off.

Overall they look great. The halo's are not very bright in the daytime though, not comparable in brightness to the OEM angel eyes you see on the new BMW's. However i like it subtle.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-29-2014, 01:35 PM   #12
Arsonism
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 M Coupe

Lots of people have changed out the Angel Eye bulb for an aftermarket LED and have seen great results. It may be worth looking into if you would like to improve the DRT functionality of these lights. Also we are always curious to see the Angel mods.

Lookin good boss.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2014, 03:11 PM   #13
SloMo
Private
Rep

I thought they only did that bulb swap for the halos on the OEM lights. I didn't know we could change the bulbs on the Spyder lights. I was under the impression they are LED rings. Thanks for the info!
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2014, 10:06 AM   #14
Rodshopr
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2003 BMW Z4

Can anyone help me with this little problem, I have an 03 and I believe before I got it, it was in a small front end collision. On the passenger side I have xenon lights but on the drivers side it is the halogen light, I would like to get spyder headlights but im not sure how to fix the two different headlight problem.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2015, 07:04 PM   #15
Handyman2007
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2004 Z4 3.0i, 2014 328d xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by StickMon View Post
Try this

Chemical Guys JetSeal 109

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNZZkPa_u1w