ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-25-2017, 07:36 PM   #23
JJZ4MR
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Armor All Outlast Brake Dust Repellant Trial

So as a stop gap measure before switching brake pads from my "apparent" OEM, I'm giving this stuff a try. First off, bought a gallon of Royal Brown wheel cleaner from FLASH Auto Detail Shop. They make all their own products and happen to be local. It is sold on Amazon for $30, but in the shop, they sell it for $15. This stuff is incredible, acid free, paint and tire safe. Just a good coat, nearly all the thick dust buildup washed off. I did a second spray and used my new lug nut brush, a wheel woolie knock off from O'Reilly's, a microfiber long handled "wand" that I picked up somewhere that you can bend to clean behind the spokes and I even stuck a Qtip into the little holes near the lugs. The rears are a FULL Qtip deep. Anyway ( I detail for my side hustle ) I dried everything down with a microfiber, put on a coat of tire shine ( recommended on the Outlast can ) It also states that the product will run down onto the tires during the ONE HOUR dry time, AND leave a WHITE MARK, which can then be wiped off. Thinking that if the product makes the tires white, got me thinking of how I could stop the tires from getting coated while I sprayed the outside edge of the rims. Well, had some thin plastic sign board in the garage, took a measure of the rim diameter ( 18 " wheels are 19.5 " at the edge ) and then using a trash can lid that was one inch smaller diameter, traced it a bit bigger, and cut it out, then used half, so I could hold it easily and stop the spray from hitting the tires ( and paint on wheel well openings ). Worked excellent ! It was a little floppy, in the pic it was bent, so it looks sorta smaller, but it fit perfect. I'm sure a piece of cardboard ( my first choice ) would work fine. Sprayed a medium coat all around, then to stop excess from getting on tires, pushed a piece of paper towel at the bottom edge, sure enough this stuff runs quick to the low point.

I will update my results, supposed to last 4 weeks. Read some good reviews, Eagle One makes one also, anyone used any of these type products ?
Attached Images

Last edited by JJZ4MR; 04-07-2017 at 05:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2017, 08:44 AM   #24
CTHuskyinMA
United_States
Rep
Drives: '03 Z4 3.0

How many miles on those wheels? They look spotless. I put Wheel Wax on mine, which is supposed to repel brake dust, but I don't think it does much other than makes it a little easier to wash off.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2017, 11:58 AM   #25
JJZ4MR
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
It's got 56K, took pic of my "best" wheel. I have researched having them recoated/powder coated or just replace them. All of which is a bit pricey. Ceramic pads will decrease my stopping power and I'm getting ready for my 2nd AutoX, so don't want that, HPDE will be next. For $10 thought I'd give this a try. I have a lot of paint flaking off the other wheels, no curb rash, so they are worth keeping. I'd like a lighter wheel, that was metal alloy so I could just polish them. Wheel wax will help on the cleanup, which is also what this spray does and it's a lot faster. Washed car yesterday, but did not wipe water off as I didn't want to effect the coating. When I detail, I use a high power leaf blower to dry every part of the car and get the water off of all the nooks and crannies on the car.
      03-27-2017, 05:05 PM   #26
garz747
Captain
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4MC 01 330i 18 X3 M40i

Anytime the dust level is less there will usually be some compromise! The manufacturers strive to get a good compromise on cars like ours-especially those that do some track days. I just use car wash soap and water- no magic elixir needed-just a dedicated wheel and tire brush. Follow that with a silicone spray and ur done.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2017, 06:37 PM   #27
JJZ4MR
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Your silicone spray allows you to take it off with just soap and water. When it's baked on and built up, soap and water takes awhile. My DD is generally pretty clean, I sprayed on the Brown Royal let it set a couple minutes, high pressure hose off with a garden hose and they were perfect. I like experimenting with different products. When professionally detailing, time is of the essence.
      03-28-2017, 04:14 PM   #28
STR8-6IX
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: RWD 528i N52

probably akebono but stopping power wont be quite as good as OEM.
Appreciate 1
JJZ4MR30.00
      03-28-2017, 05:31 PM   #29
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

A little off topic, but I put Akebono "Ultra Premium Ceramic" pads on my Wife's Expedition and my Son's Ram 1500, and wow, are they nice.
I put ceramics on the trucks because trucks like to squeal, and it drives the Wife nuts.
IMHO they grip better than the stock pads on those vehicles.
Quality and fitment are top notch, too. Way better than the Duralast Golds I used to use.
      03-28-2017, 07:45 PM   #30
antennahead
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MR silver grey

Garage List
I've had Akebono ceramic's on my M roadster for 6 years now and I'm very happy with the tradeoff of dustless versus OEM grip.......... of course I'm not tracking anymore, so this is street use only...... nice clean wheels :-)
Attached Images

Appreciate 0