ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

08-08-2011, 11:26 AM   #45
Flying Scotsman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 2.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roffle Waffle View Post
no I mean weight
PMSL, sorry mate looked at that another way lol. They don't feel as robust as OEM lights, so possibly lighter. Still looking for weight savings?
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2011, 05:25 PM   #46
HABANEROTE
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 09 35i

Garage List
2009 BMW Z4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roffle Waffle View Post
how bright are the halos at night with the lowbeams on?
Good enough to see the halos there from more than 20 fts
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2011, 05:33 PM   #47
HABANEROTE
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW Z4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirOpsMgr View Post
How did you wire your halos/running/turn signals?

I was looking at the wiring picture when I bought mine and could not understand what function was what.

I realize the halos need to be wired with the running/marker light, but what I don't know is what they are using for the RL/Turn.

Is the outside marker light now a turn signal, or is the "eyebrow" the turn (since the lower turn signals are deleted?)

thnx much!!
The installer connected the wires to the City running lights... then the turn signal is a single bulb for the running lights that goes brighter than regular when flashing... is something like the bulb has 6 volts and when goes higher goes 12V l will post a video tomorrow so you can understand..

See ya
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2011, 07:11 PM   #48
mikeinsf
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by davelrodriguez View Post
I did the same.. the risk is always important for me.. so l got a good deal in another website.. also not everything on ebay is crap. but that's another story... the long story short... I'm in love with my car again.

Ps. l installed HID in the highs lows and the fog...

Everybody loves my car now.. and more important I'm in love with my 06 black on black..
Any more pix of these from a "full frontal" view? If these are the ones I criticized, and they look as good as I think they might from this pic, then I'm more than happy to eat crow.

2007 ///M roadster
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2011, 08:28 PM   #49
HABANEROTE
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW Z4  [0.00]
This is another Pic lights off only the halos...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-08-2011, 09:58 PM   #50
zubydafa
tosser
Isle of Man
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC

i'm spending $200 more on tekcarbon. the link in the original post didn't say much for quality...but dave's doesn't look bad at all.

i just can't argue with this. perfect.

Appreciate 0
      08-09-2011, 05:28 AM   #51
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

^
I just got mine back from Tekarbon.
They are absolutely amazing
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2011, 09:32 AM   #52
mikeinsf
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Roadster

Those all look much better on the car than they do in sitting on a table for product photos. Off the car they look kind ricey. No offense intended.

2007 ///M roadster
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2011, 10:13 PM   #53
AirOpsMgr
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0i

So I got my e-bay lights in and installed, here are my notes for those of you thinking about them.

Made by Sonar / Spyder, they are DOT compliant, installed on a 2006 3.0i with halogens, got them for $325 for the pair, came very well packaged within 7 days of my order.

Pros: decent contruction, lens plastic seems heavy duty; you can choose how you want to wire the extra lights (incadesent eye-brow bulb, LED Halos, LEDs just below eye-brow).

They are indeed plug and play, you just have to decide how you want to connect the other LEDs/eyebrow - I connected mine to the wires of the eye-brow). No bulb warning lights on the dash after installation, so everything is the correct load so as not to trip the bulb warning indicator.

Mine came with high-beam bulbs already installed, but no H7 bulbs in where the halogen low-beams are at (which is fine as I have an HID kit anyway), all I had to do was cut a hole in the removeable rubber plug of the H7 low beam back and route the wires through and seal them up. If you are just going to use your H7 halogens, then you connect via the wire thats already inside and put the rubber backing boot on and you're done.

The projector lenses and focus are good, nice crisp cut-off lines, they are straight lines and then do slant upward to the right (as they are supposed to) looking like this: ___/ ___/ kinda..... you get the picture.

Cons: Halos are not very bright during the day - in direct sun-light, you can barely tell they are there .... nice and bright at dusk and dark though.

Wiring is exposed on the back of these lights (not like OEM where you have a compartment cover on the back that keeps everything closed up). I have already run through several rain storms the past few days and have not seen any leaks or condensation yet.

The clear incadesent bulb (W5W12V blade type) for the eye-brow light gives off a yellowish hue compared to the whiter light of the halos, so I swapped the eye-brow bulb out with an amber LED bulb so that the light would match the side marker until I can find white LED bulb replacement. The reflector/diffuser behind the eye-brow light doesn't do a very good job of diffusing the light, so you tend to get a dot effect during the day, spreads out a little more at night

Due to the placement of the wiring on the back of the headlights, the wheel-well access covers touch a bit and take a little more effort to put on than with the OEM stock head-lights

They do have adjuster bolts for up/down & side to side adjustment, however, they are not as easy to access as the OEM lights. You have to use a small wrench to adjust them instead of a screw driver on the OEMs. You can get to the low-beam up/down adjuster through the hood, but the other adjustments will need to be done from behind / through the wheel-well access panel, mine came pre-adjusted pretty well, just some minor tweaking since I have an HID kit where the halogens were.

So, all said and done, its up to your preference .... to each their own; I think they look decent, and will serve their purpose. At least I'll have working lights if I decide to send my OEM lights in to Tekarbon for their halo upgrade. Cash is tight right now, so I may just put my OEMs up for sale.

Sorry in advance for the crappy photos, was using my camera phone and couldn't get decent lighting without making the headlights look different.

Wasn't a difficult project, taking the bumper off was easier than I expected (Using the DIYs that are available on the forums), but getting the gaps set correctly between the lights and the bumper cover took some trial and error with the headlight mounting bolts.

Brgds/Greg

Last edited by AirOpsMgr; 08-14-2011 at 10:27 PM..
Appreciate 0