ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-18-2011, 10:19 AM   #1
fr8tdog
International Bar Hopper
Rep
Drives: 2006 Imola Red Z4 M Roadster

Supersprint V2 step headers question

I know a few of you guys are running these headers. I called ESS and was told I may or may not have any issues??? Those of you that are running theses......are you or did you have any problems(o2 sensors)If so, how did you fix the problem? Thanks a bunch! Cheers

Last edited by fr8tdog; 03-18-2011 at 10:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2011, 01:16 PM   #2
z4mnyc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

I don't know what they changed for the V2, but I am replacing my V1 step headers with euro headers next week.

It was a battle with SS to get the V1 fitted. After ordering a second set we ended up sending back one set and modifying the other to fit (it would otherwise not align properly).

We put in considerable amount effort trying to fix the O2 sensor readings but we did not make any significant progress. The ECU was reporting the rear O2s were swapped, and incorrect readings on the front sensors. We installed race cats and moved the secondary O2s to 90deg bungs behind the cats and we are still having problems.

We sent the ECU to ESS twice to see if they could work around the problem but in speaking with them it sounds like the SS headers are prone to this problem and it cannot be resolved.

So the euro headers are going in next week, mated to the rest of the ful SS exhaust. I will probably try it without cats again if this works out since this is primarily a track car.

I'm overall not impressed with SS given the premium they charge.
| Z4MC | KW Clubsport | BBS-RGR 19 + Bridgestone RE11 | BBS-RGR 18 + Hoosier R6 | Sparco DTM RS | Vorshlag mounts | Braille battery | Euro Headers | Supersprint exhaust | Stoptech lines | Stongstrut | TCK camber arms | UUC SSK | APR GT-200 wing & splitter | ESS Tune | Speedware Motorsports custom roll cage | Schroth harness |

Last edited by z4mnyc; 03-18-2011 at 01:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2011, 02:28 PM   #3
fr8tdog
International Bar Hopper
Rep

Ouch!!!!! This is not what I wanted to hear...sorry for your trouble as well. I hope the v2 is a different story. I know some guys here are running v2 with great results, but haven't heard what issues they might have had. I'm going to call SUpersprint today. I know people are at work, but when you get a chance I would like to hear your feed back with the v2 SS step headers. Thanks Joe
      03-18-2011, 03:03 PM   #4
fr8tdog
International Bar Hopper
Rep

OK... I just got off the phone with Supersprint and they said I shouldn't have any issues with these headers. The caveat is..... this assumes my ESS tune has told the secondary O2 sensors to turn off or I relocate. I was told from the horses mouth(SS) that the primary O2 sensors will not effect the car because of these headers. ESS said, it might be an issue with the primary O2 sensors, but weren't sure. So, assuming there is no issue with the primary O2 sensors and my secondaries have already been told to shut up, then I should be good to go....... I hope. Still would like some input from those that have installed though, thanks.
      03-18-2011, 03:21 PM   #5
z4mnyc
Private First Class
Rep

Let us know how this works out. I would still love to know what was changed from the v1 to v2 step headers.
| Z4MC | KW Clubsport | BBS-RGR 19 + Bridgestone RE11 | BBS-RGR 18 + Hoosier R6 | Sparco DTM RS | Vorshlag mounts | Braille battery | Euro Headers | Supersprint exhaust | Stoptech lines | Stongstrut | TCK camber arms | UUC SSK | APR GT-200 wing & splitter | ESS Tune | Speedware Motorsports custom roll cage | Schroth harness |
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2011, 04:16 AM   #6
fr8tdog
International Bar Hopper
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by z4mnyc View Post
Let us know how this works out. I would still love to know what was changed from the v1 to v2 step headers.
I can't figure out why the primary O2 sensors would be an issue for the V1 and not the V2 This fact has me very concerned. I still haven't heard from anyone with a Z4 M that has SS headers and has ruled out primary O2 sensors as an issue. I would love to hear from someone that has installed these headers and has successfully addressed the CEL problem. I don't think it would be a good idea to drive the car with primary O2 sensor faults.

So you had ESS try to turn off the secondary O2 sensors without success?? You had primary O2 sensor problems as well? This is a freak'n mess. SS should have tested these headers before selling them especially with these prices. I may cancel my order, because this is starting to smell bad.
      03-20-2011, 06:52 AM   #7
fr8tdog
International Bar Hopper
Rep

No one here has SS V2 step headers??
      03-20-2011, 12:15 PM   #8
z4mnyc
Private First Class
Rep

I can only speak from my experience with the V1 headers. I have been trying to solve this problem since January 2010
We had were several phone and email discusions with ESS about the problem and from what I gather they did what they could to try and code around the problem.

This may all have been solved with the SS V2 headers, but I would love to know if this is proven to be the case and also what was changed from V1 to V2. Hopefully they figured out the fitment problem

For the record, here are some of the ECU errors reported:

Codes last January:
2C31 lambda probe front catalyst, trimm control
2C32 lambda probe front catalyst 2, trimm control
2C6A lambda probe rear catalyst, interchanged

Codes currently present after installing the race cats and 90deg bungs:
2C7E lambda probe rear catalyst, trimm control
2C6C lambda probe rear catalyst 2, systemcheck
2C74 lambda probe rear catalyst 2, signal
Throttle valve initialisation bank 1
2CA9 heater lambda probe rear catalyst 2, function
29F4 catalyst conversion
2C78 lambda probe rear catalyst 2, signal
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2011, 12:27 PM   #9
fr8tdog
International Bar Hopper
Rep

Thanks for the added info I think I'm going to go ahead and try them and see if I can get a complete fix, if not I'll sell them on an M3 forum. I saw a thread where one guy had codes and just ignored them. My concern with this approach is there might be problems with the primary sensors like you had. Primary sensors on this car deal with fue/air mixture and with FI I don't think this is something to take lightly. If anyone has added these V2 step headers, please chime in. Thanks
Joe
      03-20-2011, 12:33 PM   #10
fr8tdog
International Bar Hopper
Rep

Quote:
I can only speak from my experience with the V1 headers. I have been trying to solve this problem since January 2010
We had were several phone and email discusions with ESS about the problem and from what I gather they did what they could to try and code around the problem.

This may all have been solved with the SS V2 headers, but I would love to know if this is proven to be the case and also what was changed from V1 to V2. Hopefully they figured out the fitment problem

For the record, here are some of the ECU errors reported:

Codes last January:
2C6A lambda probe rear catalyst, interchanged

Codes currently present after installing the race cats and 90deg bungs:
2C7E lambda probe rear catalyst, trimm control
2C6C lambda probe rear catalyst 2, systemcheck
2C74 lambda probe rear catalyst 2, signal
Throttle valve initialisation bank 1
2CA9 heater lambda probe rear catalyst 2, function
29F4 catalyst conversion
2C78 lambda probe rear catalyst 2, signal

O-cha ... what do you think about his codes? Starscream ..... what are your thoughts on these issues. I know you ordered SS V2 step headers, are you concerned there might be an issue with primary O2 sensors and no resolution to the secondaries?

Last edited by fr8tdog; 03-20-2011 at 12:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2011, 12:24 PM   #11
fr8tdog
International Bar Hopper
Rep

for those of you considering SS V2 step headers, I've included a very helpful response from Jared. I just need to work with a competent installer and I think this should be a fix.

Jared@BMPDesign

Drives: 2003.5 E46 M3

Re: Supersprint V2 Step Headers
Actually this is the first complaint I've had of any kind of issue with the MZ4 with EITHER the V1 or the V2 Stepped headers. Both were tested on the MZ4 in addition to the M3 and I've sold at least a dozen sets between the two versions to MZ4 owners and have not had any issues.

When it comes to 02 Sensor issues most of the time it is install error due to the sensors being installed in the incorrect ports of the headers. The primary 02 sensors MUST be reinstalled in the correct bank otherwise multiple faults will occur and the vehicle can end up in limp mode.

Other then that, no other issues have occurred that I am aware of. Where I believe people may be getting confused or having issues is due to the MZ4 having a primary cats (in the headers) and secondary cats in the section I along with 6 02 sensors, unlike the M3 which only has primary cats in the headers and 4 02 Sensors, with no cats in the section I (on US Spec vehicles.

All of our headers for the S54 include 4 02 sensor ports to accommodate all of the 02 sensors. If an MZ4 owner attempts to install our headers and installs all 6 02 sensors, along with only the factory section I secondary cats, the car will always throw cat inefficiency codes due to the middle set (technically rear header 02 sensors) believing the primary cats in the headers have failed. There are two options to correct this with software. One set of the "secondary" 02 sensors (either rear sensors from the headers, or sensors behind factory secondary cats if rear header sensors are extended) need to be "turned off".

As for primary 02 sensor issues I have not had a single issue reported unless the sensors were installed in the incorrect locations initially.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fr8tdog
Should receive my SS V2 step headers soon. I have a major concer that just came up. My car is a 2006 Z4 M..... ESS told me that some customers have had problems with SS headers. 1) primary and secondary O2 sensor faults...primary??? a guy on this forum wrote me and said he had version 1 and got primary and secondary faults and could not resolve the problem. He tried relocation and ESS tune...nothing. This concerns me as these headers are not cheap and one would think the headers were tested before being put on the market. If version 1 was causing primary O2 sensor faults for a Z4 M, then why would the V2 step headers be any different? Do you have any info to put my mind at ease with my recent purchase. I'm wondering if I shouldn't cancel my order. The E46 M3 has a different DME than the Z4 M, so my concern is that testing was never done on the Z4 M and SS just relied on the E46 M3. Thanks Joe
Jared@BMPDesign is offline United_States
Forward Message Reply With Quote
      03-21-2011, 01:01 PM   #12
crfine88
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E86M

Jared's info is not entirely correct. We do not have 6 O2 sensors
      03-21-2011, 01:39 PM   #13
Starscream
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: ///M Roadster + E92 335i 6MT

I am still waiting for my V2's to arrive from Italy,

The setup route I will be taking is the post o2's to be relocated to the Euro Cat pipe I have,
I haven't ever heard of a pre cat o2 sensor problem unless as Jared has already mentioned they were installed wrong,

Thats why label's help when you take it all apart

Hopefully I'll have my V2's by the end of the month,

Imola Red Roadster
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2011, 01:49 PM   #14
fr8tdog
International Bar Hopper
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starscream View Post
I am still waiting for my V2's to arrive from Italy,

The setup route I will be taking is the post o2's to be relocated to the Euro Cat pipe I have,
I haven't ever heard of a pre cat o2 sensor problem unless as Jared has already mentioned they were installed wrong,

Thats why label's help when you take it all apart

Hopefully I'll have my V2's by the end of the month,

I hope the problem is related to install error. Jared's reply with The wrong number of O2 sensors has me a bit worried again. Starscream, I think our headers come in around the same time. I think mine are suppose to arrive on the 28th from Italy. I may be asking a bunch of dumb questions in the near future. Does the response from Jared make sense to you?
      03-21-2011, 01:55 PM   #15
fr8tdog
International Bar Hopper
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crfine88 View Post
Jared's info is not entirely correct. We do not have 6 O2 sensors
This kind of stuff doesn't inspire a lot of confidence. I think it's time for me to go purchase a maintenance manual for this car.
      03-21-2011, 02:13 PM   #16
Starscream
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: ///M Roadster + E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by fr8tdog View Post
I hope the problem is related to install error. Jared's reply with The wrong number of O2 sensors has me a bit worried again. Starscream, I think our headers come in around the same time. I think mine are suppose to arrive on the 28th from Italy. I may be asking a bunch of dumb questions in the near future. Does the response from Jared make sense to you?
Yes it does,
Common mix up when installing headers,
Hopefully ours are on the same boat

Who did you order yours from? Mine was ordered from Jack at custom performance

Imola Red Roadster
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2011, 02:21 PM   #17
fr8tdog
International Bar Hopper
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starscream View Post
Yes it does,
Common mix up when installing headers,
Hopefully ours are on the same boat

Who did you order yours from? Mine was ordered from Jack at custom performance
I ordered mine from Supersprintna.com and I might have over paid....$1676.74 shipped. Talking with you about this has got me fired up again. Hopefully no big issues come up. When I spoke with Supersprint they said these headers make great power and people are very happy with them. I will post a dyno of an E46 M3 that shows his tq curve climbing all the way to redline, but he had VF supercharger at 9psi.
      03-21-2011, 02:25 PM   #18
Z4-VILLA
Banned
Afghanistan
Rep
Drives: Z4M Hardtop Roadster

good luck getting ocha's help, I have gotten zero replies from him....he might be swamped with mod work
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2011, 02:33 PM   #19
fr8tdog
International Bar Hopper
Rep

Check out this guys TQ curve with SS V2 step headers. he was running a VF supercharger 9psi and water/meth... but this tq curve is very nice !!!
Attached Images

03-21-2011, 06:03 PM   #20
z4mnyc
Private First Class
Rep

Install error is not impossible, but extremely unlikely.

It was installed by a reputable race shop in Seattle, and we spent a lot of time talking to SS about the problem.

I really hope the V2s work out for you.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2011, 07:58 PM   #21
fr8tdog
International Bar Hopper
Rep

Quote:
Install error is not impossible, but extremely unlikely.

It was installed by a reputable race shop in Seattle, and we spent a lot of time talking to SS about the problem.

I really hope the V2s work out for you.
Thanks.... and I figured an install error would have been ruled out for you after all this time, which still has me concerned. WE will know for sure in a couple of weeks if the V2 step can be mated happily with the Z4 M. I'm going to give my installer all the emails I have with SS , ESS and other forum members and hopefully get lucky.
      03-29-2011, 08:51 AM   #22
NU arty boy
Fuck it! We'll do it live!!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 ///M Coupe, 2008 335i

Garage List
2008 335i  [8.50]
2008 Z4 M Coupe  [7.50]
Quote:
Based on their website it looks like the V2 will bolt up to the factory pipe (section #1) while the V1 will not. It does not say whether the V2 will bolt up to any SS section #1 pipes. Maybe a new flange design???