ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-30-2011, 10:39 AM   #1
spinsall4
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: SB 07 MZ4 Coupe

Magnaflow X-Pipe

Just wondering if anyone had ever cut out there stock mid section and replaced it with a Magnaflow x-pipe or other brand? Obviously, you can buy a number of bolt in x-pipes from Rogue, SS, etc. but this would be a cheap alternative. Not reversible of course but . . . .

Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 11:09 AM   #2
DataStream18
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2003 ESS TS1 Z4

Garage List
I've been on here for a little bit and do not post as much, but from my consensus anything that isnt Rogue or SS or top dollar will get shunned and so will you for saying other wise. I like things cheap my self. Magnaflows x-pipe is in no way different from SS or Rogue except in price and you sayin "Ya i have SS this or Rogue that!" Hell I will probably get shunned saying this!

Any ways the point of any mod is what YOU like, not every one else. That's my 2 cents
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 11:32 AM   #3
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Meh. People have pretty strong opinions on exhaust (hell, everthing), but it's not all that bad. No one will show up in the middle of the night and drag the OP off to Siberia over suggesting a Magnaflow!

Several folks have Magnaflows (search) and are happy with the results. It's more of an "American" sounding exhaust and IIRC suffers from drone in the 2.2-3.2K range. An X-pipe will exacerbate this. But that's true of the RPI and several other exhausts.

If I were you I'd wait and see what Diokaef comes out with. His exhaust system looks like it's going to be a huge winner, and it's expandable (start with axle-back, add x-pipe, add headers, straight pipe for track, etc. etc.). Sort of the the Lego kit of exhausts you can build on . <-Link->

I've been struggling with the exhaust question myself. My wife's car has the 2K+ Eisenmann Sport (came with her car), and I love that exhaust! No drone, wonderfully rich (and somewhat exotic sounding)--but 2K+? Sheesh. The other options either drone like hell (can't stand drone), or are uber expensive, and don't have good expansion/growth pathways. Hence I'm holding out to see what this new system offers.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 12:05 PM   #4
dorifto88
Major
Rep
Drives: 88 Nissan Pathfinder

im with Finnegan. Wait it out if possible, however irregardless i think no matter what, the options will cost a pretty penny =/
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 12:08 PM   #5
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

^ I would agree except I think he's looking for low budget alternatives.

One thing to consider is that replacing the X-pipe section is more than just the X itself.
That entire OE section has issues with flattened & distorted piping.

If you go with the Magnaflow piece , IMO you should look at fabricating the entire section as well.
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 12:29 PM   #6
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
^ I would agree except I think he's looking for low budget alternatives.

One thing to consider is that replacing the X-pipe section is more than just the X itself.
That entire OE section has issues with flattened & distorted piping.

If you go with the Magnaflow piece , IMO you should look at fabricating the entire section as well.
Yep, good point.

Bill, of Bill's Webspace, has (or had) a BMS exhaust which is Magnaflow based. Bill just sold his Z4M, and this might show up in the classifieds soon. The OP should keep an eye out since it might fit the bill here.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 01:55 PM   #7
r4gs
Viper Driver
Singapore
Rep
Drives: F-16

^good point about bill's bms setup, worth a gander definitely. one has to rapidly come to the realization that related mods to z4's and z4m's especially are going to be pricier than their equivalent american or japanese counterparts part-for-part. easiest examples are of course the pricey aftermarket mufflers available. so far i know of absolutely nobody who has forked out the ~$7k it costs to have a kreissieg x-pipe and muffler setup hand built and imported from japan.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 10:15 PM   #8
beamon
Rep
Drives: 07 M Coupe

I have the BMS x-pipe and Magnaflow mufflers and really love it. It is a deeper more American muscle sound compared to the Supersprint race system. There is some drone from 2-3k RPM but not too bad at all really. I can still use bluetooth while driving. My wife thinks it is too loud, but then again she thought the car was too loud to sit in when it was stock!

This system (BMS x-pipe and Magnaflow mufflers) sold new for around $2k and is not made anymore so I would definitely recommend it if you can find someone selling it. It is an easy bolt on that is custom made for Z4M and fits great. It is also 21 lbs lighter than stock system.

Here are some clips from another user:

http://ebsart.com/images/Net%20Publi...tha/In-car.wmv

http://ebsart.com/images/Net%20Publi...ha/Outside.wmv

http://ebsart.com/images/Net%20Publi...t/BMWvsBMS.wmv

http://ebsart.com/images/Net%20Publi...willow-VHS.wmv
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 10:27 PM   #9
VinnieAces
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Imola Red Z4MC

Garage List
2006 Z4 M Coupe  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by r4gs View Post
^good point about bill's bms setup, worth a gander definitely. one has to rapidly come to the realization that related mods to z4's and z4m's especially are going to be pricier than their equivalent american or japanese counterparts part-for-part. easiest examples are of course the pricey aftermarket mufflers available. so far i know of absolutely nobody who has forked out the ~$7k it costs to have a kreissieg x-pipe and muffler setup hand built and imported from japan.
vids? i wanna hear what 7k worth of exhaust sounds on our cars
      07-01-2011, 10:25 AM   #10
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Z4MR

its like vroooooooom bzzzzzz uuuummmmmmmmm EEEEEEE!
      07-01-2011, 10:26 AM   #11
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Z4MR

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinsall4 View Post
Just wondering if anyone had ever cut out there stock mid section and replaced it with a Magnaflow x-pipe or other brand? Obviously, you can buy a number of bolt in x-pipes from Rogue, SS, etc. but this would be a cheap alternative. Not reversible of course but . . . .

Thoughts?
Nothing wrong with using Magnaflow for an X-pipe. Its a simple piece, with little differentiation between different manufacturers. I think "upgrading" and x-pipe can cause a lot of extra rasp, depending on which mufflers its paired with, keep that in mind
      07-01-2011, 03:40 PM   #12
BlackMoupe
Mouper
United_States
Rep
Drives: _____

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamon View Post
I have the BMS x-pipe and Magnaflow mufflers and really love it. It is a deeper more American muscle sound compared to the Supersprint race system. There is some drone from 2-3k RPM but not too bad at all really. I can still use bluetooth while driving. My wife thinks it is too loud, but then again she thought the car was too loud to sit in when it was stock!

This system (BMS x-pipe and Magnaflow mufflers) sold new for around $2k and is not made anymore so I would definitely recommend it if you can find someone selling it. It is an easy bolt on that is custom made for Z4M and fits great. It is also 21 lbs lighter than stock system.

Here are some clips from another user:

http://ebsart.com/images/Net%20Publi...tha/In-car.wmv

http://ebsart.com/images/Net%20Publi...ha/Outside.wmv

http://ebsart.com/images/Net%20Publi...t/BMWvsBMS.wmv

http://ebsart.com/images/Net%20Publi...willow-VHS.wmv
Another clip of this setup, http://www.flickr.com/photos/5968133...in/photostream
Appreciate 0