ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

10-30-2010, 09:02 PM   #1
azadian2b
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4MC

High Pressure VANOS oil line failure.

I was driving up to DC when my my car started smoking and smelled strongly of burning oil. I pull over ASAP and sure enough there is a ton of oil leaking out from under the engine bay.
I was towed to BMW of Fairfax and they diagnosed it as a VANOS high pressure oil line failure and they replaced the oil line and cleaned out my engine bay. Is there anything I should watch for in the next couple days to make sure there are no lingering issues?
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2010, 09:05 AM   #2
Ron Stygar
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by azadian2b View Post
I was driving up to DC when my my car started smoking and smelled strongly of burning oil. I pull over ASAP and sure enough there is a ton of oil leaking out from under the engine bay.
I was towed to BMW of Fairfax and they diagnosed it as a VANOS high pressure oil line failure and they replaced the oil line and cleaned out my engine bay. Is there anything I should watch for in the next couple days to make sure there are no lingering issues?
Did the passenger motor bracket screws fall out.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...9&postcount=39
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2010, 04:10 PM   #3
azadian2b
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4MC

Hi Ron,
I just read up on this issue as well as another guy on bimmerforums whose experience a couple months ago was exactly identical to mine who you also commented on. The service sheet that I got back from the dealership I went to did not mention anything about them having checked or replaced the engine mount bolts so now I'm concerned that I'm going to have the same oil line problem if the underlying issue was not fixed. I will check them. I am just surprised because I don't seem to have any other symptoms that I'd associate with loose or broken engine mount bolts.
Thanks,
Nathaniel
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2010, 04:37 PM   #4
Ron Stygar
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by azadian2b View Post
Hi Ron,
I am just surprised because I don't seem to have any other symptoms that I'd associate with loose or broken engine mount bolts.
Thanks,
Nathaniel
People have the issue without notice. Did you look at the passenger bolts?
Link has pics.
Appreciate 0