ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

10-29-2010, 05:56 PM   #1
ManoSpeed
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
Nail/screw stuck in front tire

I got out of my car to open my garage door and noticed a broken off screw/nail stuck in my front tire. It's holding air, but now I'm hesitant to drive because the tire might blow up.

The question I have is, do I need to replace both fronts now? Or can I simply replace the damaged one only?
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2010, 06:12 PM   #2
FerRrari
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Catrinel Menghia

Go to a tire shop, they might be able to patch it up. I always go to Discount Tire and they're great.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2010, 09:54 PM   #3
tjank123
Geh Hau Ab
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X5-35d, '08 ZM Coupe

My dealer refused to plug a nail hole and told me it would make it dangerous. they simply wanted to sell me a new tire. Previously, I have always plugged them myself and never had any problems. I opted to have it plugged at independent shop but should have saved the $20. No problems with the tire since. Of course if you are tracking your vehicle you may want to replace the tire do to the high speed.
      10-30-2010, 12:21 AM   #4
doozyj
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjank123 View Post
My dealer refused to plug a nail hole and told me it would make it dangerous. they simply wanted to sell me a new tire. Previously, I have always plugged them myself and never had any problems. I opted to have it plugged at independent shop but should have saved the $20. No problems with the tire since. Of course if you are tracking your vehicle you may want to replace the tire do to the high speed.
They won't plug it if it is near the sidewall, so that is the reason why they had to decline you. Going to an Indy shop, they probably could care less about it and your safety, so that may be the reason why the did it.
      10-30-2010, 07:30 AM   #5
AWM3
BMW Fan
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManoSpeed View Post
I got out of my car to open my garage door and noticed a broken off screw/nail stuck in my front tire. It's holding air, but now I'm hesitant to drive because the tire might blow up.

The question I have is, do I need to replace both fronts now? Or can I simply replace the damaged one only?
You have some things in your favor. Your car is a 2007 model so it has pressure monitors inside the wheels (TPMs) and if the tire begins to lose air while you are driving it will warn you in plenty of time.

Since you do not have runflat tires, there is no problem with some shops refusing to repair runflats.

If the screw or nail is definitely on the flat part of the tire (where it contacts the road) and has not damaged the sidewall, any quality tire shop can do a proper repair which involves dismounting the tire, plugging the hole, and patching the inside of the tire. If the repair is done correctly, you should never have any problem from that tire ever. The only exception would be for track driving. It is a bad idea to try to repair track tires because the stress on them is so much greater.

If you do have to replace the tire, you can probably find a used Continental for almost nothing. This is assuming that you still have the original tires on the car. If you have some other brand of tire, yes it would be OK to just replace the one with the exact same brand and specification tire that you have now.

Hope this is helpful.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2010, 08:19 AM   #6
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

[QUOTE=doozyj;8247840]They won't plug it if it is near the sidewall, so that is the reason why they had to decline you.QUOTE]

Yes and no. Definately, if the puncture is close to the sidewall, dealers and most shops won't do it for safety reasons. However, some dealers and/or SA's will push for a new tire regardless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by car62 View Post
If you have some other brand of tire, yes it would be OK to just replace the one with the exact same brand and specification tire that you have now.
I would only caveat that with "unless your other tires are low on tread".