ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-07-2011, 10:01 PM   #1
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Talking "That Is How I Drive, Flat Out" Stickers

Gotta get one of these! <-Link->

If you're not in on the joke--and I'm sure most of you are--watch this. (The entire thing is a hoot, but the particular section is at about 2.30 in.)

One is going on our friend's Prius.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2011, 10:10 PM   #2
Diokaef
Engineer
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235I 2015, 335i 2011

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [6.33]
LOL.....
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2011, 11:45 PM   #3
VinnieAces
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Imola Red Z4MC

Garage List
2006 Z4 M Coupe  [8.00]
vid not working?
      04-07-2011, 11:52 PM   #4
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnieAces View Post
vid not working?
Hmmm...I just checked it. Working from this end from the OP. You can always Google "Track Day Comedy Flatout" which should bring up the YouTube Vid.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2011, 08:29 AM   #5
SCHMOUPE
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupe  [0.00]
facepalm! This video never gets old. Thanks for sharing!

Gruppe M CAI / Euro Headers / Rogue Engineering X-pipe / RE Diablo Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2011, 08:48 AM   #6
007MCoupe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 Sakhir M3 ZCP

i missed the joke but funny vid.
      04-08-2011, 03:50 PM   #7
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakib View Post
facepalm! This video never gets old. Thanks for sharing!
You're welcome! I can't wait to put this on our friend's Prius. just thinking about that one--especially since she pretty much has the vid memorized at this point.

There are so many great lines in that vid:

Driving a real supercar is an art form.
200 MPH on the Autobahn in Caterham. In the rain. At night.
I'm operating on an entirely different level (waves arm).
It looked like you were leading a conga line.
Actually I was in a stock Miata....
My student in a Ford Focus...

And of course the tagline "That is How I Drive, Flat Out" which gets repeated a few times by DickySpeedMaster.

Yeah, I may have seen it a few times.

007M Coupe--not a "joke" per se and perhaps not the best characterization by me. It's probably better termed a "catchphrase" or signature move (like Al Bundy's hand or "Dynomight!" or "WhatchatalkingaboutWillis"): "That is how I drive, Flat Out". Joke for me in a sense because the "DickySpeedMaster" clearly isn't/can't except in his own mind.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2011, 06:42 PM   #8
VinnieAces
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Imola Red Z4MC

Garage List
2006 Z4 M Coupe  [8.00]
LOL vid working now, hillarious
      04-09-2011, 07:44 PM   #9
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

lol @ the caterham comment.

WRT the sticker, I kinda like the "This vehicle runs on 100% recycled dinosaur." It would go great w/ the 'I love global warming" sticker I saw a little while back.
      04-10-2011, 08:14 PM   #10
imz4n
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 3,0 si TITANIUM SIlVER

When I first read the post this is where my mind went. http://www.silverstateclassic.com/flatout.htm
      04-10-2011, 08:40 PM   #11
Shorestyle031
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 M roadster

The sad thing is that there are people that are like this at track days, well people that wont point you by because they feel their car is better.
      04-10-2011, 09:33 PM   #12
chapako
Rep
Drives: '07 BMW M Coupe

how can you guys watch more than 15 seconds of this...this video sucks
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 05:05 PM   #13
boondocksaint
Penfold, shush!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorestyle031 View Post
The sad thing is that there are people that are like this at track days, well people that wont point you by because they feel their car is better.
+1. I got stuck behind a pair of guys in a 911 - passenger was filming their "epic awesome track day carnage" or whatever. There was a train of cars behind him after three laps, and I was first in line. Wouldn't point me by because my STi was apparently not fast enough to pass him.

Even though anecdotal lap times late suggested that I was 14 seconds faster per lap at 1:24. And I'm known as Captain Slow, so you can imagine how slow these two dudes were.

Now that I'm doing RWD, I'm bound to be slower. AWD spoiled me, but unlike SOME people, my point-by finger works just fine.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 06:34 PM   #14
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapako View Post
how can you guys watch more than 15 seconds of this...this video sucks
As in vid quality or content? If content, all I have to say is that humor is a highly subjective thing and YMMD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorestyle031 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by boondocksaint View Post
+1. I got stuck behind a pair of guys in a 911 - passenger was filming their "epic awesome track day carnage" or whatever. There was a train of cars behind him after three laps, and I was first in line. Wouldn't point me by because my STi was apparently not fast enough to pass him.

Even though anecdotal lap times late suggested that I was 14 seconds faster per lap at 1:24. And I'm known as Captain Slow, so you can imagine how slow these two dudes were.

Now that I'm doing RWD, I'm bound to be slower. AWD spoiled me, but unlike SOME people, my point-by finger works just fine.
I've yet to encounter that as a track noob, but I can see how it would be very frustrating. In the events I've been to the organizers and flaggers are on top of this kind of thing--mandatory passing flags are put out w/o delay and people who don't let the pass happen are black flagged.

What do the event organizers say about this? Seems they should be on top of it to make sure everyone has a good day with their time on the track. Maybe Mr. Fancy Car/Slow Driver is in the wrong run group. Over in the track section Lucid and the Hack were discussing the pressures many organizations face to promote drivers along with the logistical pressures/challenges organizers face (e.g., too many in the slower groups, fewer in the faster groups, need to spread out the number of cars in the various groups), as well as connections/politics. Interesting discussion--here's the thread and the discussion that's relevant starts at post 16.

I can only speak for myself, but I'm in the noob group, and that's where I'll stay until my times and my instructor think I'm ready to be elsewhere...I'm not running slow and ruining more advanced driver's days so I'll stay put until I'm good and ready for my sake and the sake of other drivers.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 08:07 PM   #15
boondocksaint
Penfold, shush!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4MC

Well, I was in the fast group mainly because of my car at the time. But I wasn't holding anyone up, and I was keeping middle-of-pack lap times. And yes, the flagging team would hit them with the traffic flag. But when there aren't enough flaggers, you can go half a lap or more before the snail in front gets the idea. :lol

The problem with many of the smaller tracks is that there's a skeleton crew flagging their open days. I'm talking about Waterford Hills in MI. There are seven flagging stations (IIRC) plus the starter stand. I can't remember doing a track day with more than four stations manned plus the starter.

It's a volunteer thing, and they don't always have enough people willing to flag, let alone go to flagging school. For the organization-sponsored events, it's a bit different. The Ferrari Club day was fully staffed, plus instructors.

But I digress. I sound like a noob. I suppose with less than twenty track days, I probably am technically.
Appreciate 0