ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-12-2016, 06:58 PM   #1
No_Dominion
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Coupe

Chasing Down/Passing an M2

I realize that in the hands of a more skilled driver that the M2 should have beaten me, but regardless, being able to chase down and pass a vehicle with 5 more HP and 60 more lb/ft of torque than my M Coupe definitely brought a smile to my face. And this was probably the 3rd time that happened over the track weekend.

Appreciate 0
      06-12-2016, 09:20 PM   #2
dc_wright
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z43.0si Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Dominion View Post
I realize that in the hands of a more skilled driver that the M2 should have beaten me, but regardless, being able to chase down and pass a vehicle with 5 more HP and 60 more lb/ft of torque than my M Coupe definitely brought a smile to my face. And this was probably the 3rd time that happened over the track weekend.
Nice! One of the tough things to learn initially is to run your own line, even when you've closed in on a slower car. You catch what should be a faster car because you're running cleaner lines and then you get behind them and start following them and then you wind up running the same speed. Once you got past the M2, your lines got much better again and I'd bet you were pulling away from him.
      06-13-2016, 03:55 AM   #3
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

Very nice

Care to disclose how your getting the track data superimposed on your cam vid?

cheers
      06-13-2016, 04:48 AM   #4
No_Dominion
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_wright View Post
Nice! One of the tough things to learn initially is to run your own line, even when you've closed in on a slower car. You catch what should be a faster car because you're running cleaner lines and then you get behind them and start following them and then you wind up running the same speed. Once you got past the M2, your lines got much better again and I'd bet you were pulling away from him.
Definitely a lot to take in and learn, but when you get it right, it does feel nice. I was happy the M2 was in my run group, such a gorgeous car. But yeah, once I got the point-by, he never started to catch back up again. Definitely an awesome experience overall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanne View Post
Very nice

Care to disclose how your getting the track data superimposed on your cam vid?

cheers
Hey Vanne, I was using Harry's Lap Timer (Petrolhead edition) on my iPhone. It records video and telemetry automatically, and then you just press a button to merge the two after the run is complete. It's a great app, and even allows you to integrate multiple camera feeds as well as pull car data from an OBD dongle, if you like. I had the phone mounted on a magnetic dash mount that I use every day, but most of the shakiness was due to forgetting to lock the focus, as well as the wind rushing in and playing havoc with the mount. Not a bad result for a $20 app, though.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2016, 06:25 AM   #5
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep

Lol, i have that app, and use it to record my runs.. how on earth do you combine both?
      06-13-2016, 07:17 AM   #6
No_Dominion
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanne
Lol, i have that app, and use it to record my runs.. how on earth do you combine both?
When you select an individual run to view, if you scroll down to the section that has the video for the lap, below it should be a button labeled "export." If you click the export button, it will bring up a section where you can choose to overlay and export just that selected lap, or you can select additional laps to make a longer video.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2016, 07:19 AM   #7
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
This is an excellent point, I see it all the time.
I think what happens is you stop looking ahead (past the car ahead) and start looking at the ass of the car you are chasing.
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 1
      06-13-2016, 07:24 AM   #8
No_Dominion
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r
Quote:
This is an excellent point, I see it all the time.
I think what happens is you stop looking ahead (past the car ahead) and start looking at the ass of the car you are chasing.
I think you hit the nail on the head. It's difficult to monitor your distance from the vehicle ahead of you without focusing your attention on it. You don't want to read end them if they brake earlier than expected, but you also don't want to be so focused on them that you lose vision down the track. Definitely a difficult balance, and something I want to focus on next time.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2016, 10:07 AM   #9
TexasZed4MC
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Interlagos Z4 M Coupe

I find that happens with a great number of students. I had told more than one to "drive your line" don't follow the car in front of you. When run sessions were over I've had more than one student be mad at the student I had because they thought my student was going to hit their car.

Lone Star Chapter BMWCCA HPDE Event Chair, Texas Trifecta Event Chair, & BMWCCA driving Instructor
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2016, 08:54 PM   #10
dc_wright
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z43.0si Roadster

Quote:
I think you hit the nail on the head. It's difficult to monitor your distance from the vehicle ahead of you without focusing your attention on it. You don't want to read end them if they brake earlier than expected, but you also don't want to be so focused on them that you lose vision down the track. Definitely a difficult balance, and something I want to focus on next time.
No question it is a LOT of input (drive your line, don't hit the car ahead of you, don't hold up the car behind you, watch for signals from the flag stations, etc.) all at one time and it takes a few times out before some of it starts to just become second nature and you can put more focus on just driving the car. There were a lot of positives in the video clip and you should be looking like a pro with a few more sessions.
      06-13-2016, 09:50 PM   #11
No_Dominion
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_wright
Quote:
No question it is a LOT of input (drive your line, don't hit the car ahead of you, don't hold up the car behind you, watch for signals from the flag stations, etc.) all at one time and it takes a few times out before some of it starts to just become second nature and you can put more focus on just driving the car. There were a lot of positives in the video clip and you should be looking like a pro with a few more sessions.
Thanks, and I completely agree, it was like drinking from a fire hose at first, haha. I definitely felt way more comfortable towards the end of the day Sunday compared to my first few laps Saturday morning.

I spent some time today reviewing my video from various sessions and comparing them to videos from more experienced drivers with similar vehicles (mostly E46 M3s,) and I was able to identify several turns where I can shave a good amount of time off by either carrying more speed into the turn, or downshifting prior to the turn to accelerate faster post apex.

I also need to work on braking later, but with more force. Being my first track event, I'm still getting comfortable with just how quickly the vehicle can stop from track speeds, as well as the traction limit of the tires.

Based on telemetry, I ended up taking most of my turns at .9 Gs, but I noticed that on the final two turns I rarely pushed it past .7 Gs, which is in part due to feeling less confident because of the slightly downhill nature of those turns, but I'm sure I could add 5-7 MPH without pushing it past .9 Gs and still remain safe.

So much to learn, and I'm thankful for it.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2016, 09:46 AM   #12
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Proper braking is HUGE, and not just braking harder & later.
It's still the thing I work on the most.
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2016, 01:51 PM   #13
No_Dominion
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r
Proper braking is HUGE, and not just braking harder & later.
It's still the thing I work on the most.
Yeah, learning how to use the brakes to set the car before turn-in seems like it will be one of the more difficult and advanced things I'll need to learn.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2016, 03:59 AM   #14
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep

Our cars can outbrake most cars, even with oem claws. Its where i make up most ground after getting blasted on the straight.

Last edited by Vanne; 06-15-2016 at 04:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2016, 04:04 AM   #15
No_Dominion
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanne View Post
Our cars can outbrake most cars, even with oem claws. Its where make up most ground after getting blasted on the straight.
My instructor said something similar. I suppose I just need to keep pushing the envelope. Putnam Park will be good for that, as even if I end up braking too late, I'll just slide into the grass (not that I'm eager for that to happen.)
Appreciate 0