ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Cosmetics Modification (Exterior/Interior) Discussions
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-06-2014, 03:14 PM   #1
Sonnyz4
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 3.0i

Clear Headlight Help

I found a pair of facelift headlights on eBay and am about to order them, but was wondering if you fellas could help me verify a few things

My plan is to follow this method of just swapping the internals rather than cutting open a pair (http://www.z4-forum.com/forum/viewto...clear&start=15). So I should be able to remove my pre-facelift xenon internals and swap them into a facelift xenon housing?

Thanks for the help!
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 02:06 AM   #2
Hammam
BMW Freak
Germany
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe + E36 & F11 Touring

Hey,
your idea won't work, because you won't be able to flash with your highbeams after the swap of the inner parts of the pre-facelift in the facelift headlights.
The inner lens of the facelift headlights is practically dead. The only purpose of the inner lens is the illumination of the inner angel eye/ring of the parking light.

You need some new wiring and coding of the "Lichtschaltzentrum" (->Light switch next to your steering wheel). Unfortunately, there is no better way to swap headlights.

Please note that I suspect that the ebay headlights are facelift XENON headlights.
If you wanna buy some HALOGEN headlights, you have to put the pre facelift xenon wiring in the halogen headlights, change some wiring AND code it, so your highbeams work properly.

Hope you understand me. The chapter headlight swap is not that easy as you might think... I've been thru it and decided to stay pre-facelift but include white side markers, black inner housing and some led angel eyes...

Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 04:23 PM   #3
Sonnyz4
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 3.0i

Well shoot, I'm glad I didn't order them then

So my only route is pre-facelift clear xenons from an 2005, or pre-facelift halogen clears and swap the internals?

Thanks again
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2014, 04:35 AM   #4
Hammam
BMW Freak
Germany
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe + E36 & F11 Touring

Right! If you go that route, no coding isn't neccessary
Appreciate 0