ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-07-2011, 02:10 PM   #23
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
Right, I warned you!

And, yes, a track specific car makes a lot of sense for safety and piece of mind reasons. And IF you can control your urges around mods and do a lot of track days, it can make financial sense.

However, I am just in the process of learning what it takes to turn a DE car into a race car. OMFG! I did grossly underestimate the financial commitment and the level of effort required!

I'm not bitter or anything, and in a really strange sense, it is been worth every penny so far (as long as you can afford it and keep yourself out of debt, etc).

Best series to watch IMO. These guys really go at it and remain cool about it for the most part. You don't see NASCAR style fist fights, etc in general. I guess that is the Aussie sprit?
At some point it would be interesting to hear about your experience with turning a DE car into a race car.

RE: Aussies, yeah, I think that's the attitude there. As for NASCAR antics I have to wonder if some is kinda WWF inspired. Maybe not. In any case I love watching that and ALMS. The different type cars, capabilities, speeds, and traffic make for some exciting races as well.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2011, 02:15 PM   #24
onelove
Track Head
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
Right, I warned you!

And, yes, a track specific car makes a lot of sense for safety and piece of mind reasons. And IF you can control your urges around mods and do a lot of track days, it can make financial sense.

However, I am just in the process of learning what it takes to turn a DE car into a race car. OMFG! I did grossly underestimate the financial commitment and the level of effort required!
I'm in the process of likely doing the same. At some point my Z4M will become a race car, and I'm looking forward to building it as I go until it hits the point of no return.
      04-07-2011, 03:15 PM   #25
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

I'm not touching the Z4M. If I still have it 3-4 years, I might do something about it.

Converting the E30 M3, which was somewhat stripped and caged, to a reliable race car turned out to be a major effort in itself...
      04-07-2011, 03:18 PM   #26
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
At some point it would be interesting to hear about your experience with turning a DE car into a race car.
Many details to take care of if you want to do it right--especially on a 20+ year old car. Getting the motor built up to 2.5L with A/N fuel control did not help either, but that was my choice. I am also crazy enough to attempt to spray it in my garage soon...