ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

08-16-2010, 07:27 PM   #1
MFGJR
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

Remote Clutch Bleeder?

Anyone done this? Fit a braided line in place of the bleed screw on the clutch slave cylinder, running to the top side in the engine bay (or perhaps to the wheel well), with a fitting that'll accept a bleed screw at the other end? This would permit bleeding of the clutch (which my car wants regularly) without having to raise the car, put it on stands, crawl under, remove the shield beneath the transmission, and work in that tiny little space.

Looks like it'll take a male M7X1.0 fitting on the slave end and a female M7X1.0 on the other. Shouldnt be hard to find someone who'll build a custom line, but it would be great if someone's already done the R&D on the fittings.

Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2010, 05:34 AM   #2
AWM3
BMW Fan
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, Alpine White

The end of the hose should be at a level lower than the brake fluid reservoir.

I have a car similar to yours; the clutch fluid was bled once in the past three years and I've never had any problems, wondering why you require frequent bleeding of yours.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2010, 07:07 AM   #3
MFGJR
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by car62 View Post
I have a car similar to yours; the clutch fluid was bled once in the past three years and I've never had any problems, wondering why you require frequent bleeding of yours.
What fluid are you using? I have hi-temp fluid (ATE) in mine and the clutch and brakes seem to want to be bled every several months--brake pedal gets a little soft, car bucks a bit on clutch engagement (CDV's deleted. by the way). It'll be great for a while after I bleed, but then it gradually comes back. Perhaps it's attributable to the more hydroscopic nature of hi-temp fluid, or perhaps I just have air trapped somewhere in the system that gradually migrates to a spot that causes more trouble. I keep fresh fluid in the car--never more than 12 months old--and I bleed thoroughly, but it's still a problem.

Last edited by MFGJR; 08-17-2010 at 08:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2010, 03:50 PM   #4
AWM3
BMW Fan
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, Alpine White

ATE Typ 200
Appreciate 0