ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-18-2014, 04:05 AM   #1
UntzUntzUntz
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 M2 Comp

Potential new tranny?

Hello everyone. This is actually my first thread here. Been around Bimmerforums for a little and found the community is far greater at zpost so maybe you guys can give me a hand here.

I just got an 06 m roadster few months ago. Ever since I got it, I've been hearing rattling noises going from 1-2 gear. From clutch going in, shifting to 2nd and letting the clutch out. After that, it's butter. It's always an unpleasant noise and kick that makes the passenger, well.... Sometimes it goes away but initially it's always there if not done at a certain rpm and exact moment that needs to be shifted. Don't even get me started on cold starts. I worry the person taking a stroll down the block would start laughing from the loud transmission rattle it makes between those gears

So I decide to take the car over to my uncle, who works on transmissions for as long as I can remember. Test drove it, nothing wrong, kept it overnight to check it out on cold starts, nothing wrong. I went by about a month until it just drove me nuts. So now I turn to you fellow z owners. Are rattling noises normal when clutch goes in from 1st and clutch goes out into 2nd? Does your z shift smooth from 1st to 2nd? (without putting as much effort as I mentioned above)

I understand "rattling" noises is very generic and could be a list of problems. I just want what you've experienced that could give me some sort of direction I can go to with this.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 12:45 PM   #2
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

Doesn't sound right.
I have the same car and no trans noise. Shifts smooth through all gears.

Maybe the clutch isn't fully disengaging?
Does it have an aftermarket adjustable clutch stop?
I would try bleeding the clutch.
      06-18-2014, 11:47 PM   #3
UntzUntzUntz
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by StickMon View Post
Doesn't sound right.
I have the same car and no trans noise. Shifts smooth through all gears.

Maybe the clutch isn't fully disengaging?
Does it have an aftermarket adjustable clutch stop?
I would try bleeding the clutch.
I doubt this car has any aftermarket parts. It just comes as a shock since the car only has 38k miles on it. But then again it could've been mistreated the whole way through. Or someone just drained all my trans fluid...

A few details I left out from my original post I just remembered. The clutch makes a rattling noise when it goes in. Mainly in reverse, 1st gear, and 2nd gear. Another thing I've noticed is the shifting gets much more difficult when taking a slow sharp turn. It's almost like the gears get locked in, if that makes any sense. Not sure if they have anything in relation though.

I think I'll take you on bleeding the clutch. It'll be my excuse to do a CDV delete
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 02:43 AM   #4
tikamak
Captain
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M Roadster TiAG/black

Quote:
Originally Posted by UntzUntzUntz View Post
I doubt this car has any aftermarket parts. It just comes as a shock since the car only has 38k miles on it. But then again it could've been mistreated the whole way through. Or someone just drained all my trans fluid...

A few details I left out from my original post I just remembered. The clutch makes a rattling noise when it goes in. Mainly in reverse, 1st gear, and 2nd gear. Another thing I've noticed is the shifting gets much more difficult when taking a slow sharp turn. It's almost like the gears get locked in, if that makes any sense. Not sure if they have anything in relation though.

I think I'll take you on bleeding the clutch. It'll be my excuse to do a CDV delete
Perform a CDV delete, drain out the transmission fluid out and put a 50/50 mix of MTF LT2 and automatic transmission fluid.
Get vorshlag engine and transmission mounts Or vibratechnics.

After all is done, always shift 2nd while pulling to the left and with a slight pause that is synchronized with your leg.

Learn this and you will feel the tremendous grace this power has.

Basically the 2-3-4-5-6 gears are butter smooth all the time and the ZF transmission is very very (i repeat VERY) strong transmission. i've seen the internals, you can't break this transmission even if you try and it's very lightweight in comparison with a 6 speed getrag from the M3.

only thing is the damn triple synchros in 2nd gear.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 09:57 AM   #5
elerner61
Major
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4M Roadster

Here's another thought (based on the rattling you mention when using the clutch), perhaps something has gone awry with your flywheel. The M's have a dual mass flywheel. It is known to make a rattling sound when you turn off the engine which is normal (if you hold the clutch in when turning the engine off it doesn't make the annoying rattling sound.)

If this rattling sound is happening while the car isn't moving and you are actuating the clutch it may not be the transmission, and be caused by the flywheel.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 11:07 AM   #6
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Replace the transmission mount. It's busted.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 12:58 PM   #7
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
Replace the transmission mount. It's busted.
Quite likely.

I'd check the motor mount bolts too while you're at it.

From there if nothing is found go on down the list.

Last edited by Finnegan; 06-19-2014 at 03:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 07:39 PM   #8
UntzUntzUntz
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Yeah that'll make the picture more clear. I'll take a look at it tomorrow. I get the feeling it's also the mounts. Passengers always complain that not only do they feel every crack on the road, but the kick it makes from 1-2 on top of that just looks like a bobblehead sitting next to me.

From those gears it's always, 1st gear, one heartbeat, 2nd gear. It'll be a disaster if I dare try to shift faster or slower than that. I've heard that's normal however? This transmission doesn't like to be shifted quickly? Sounds kinda ridiculous. Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 11:52 PM   #9
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

I've always shifted in two motions.
No significant hesitation in between, but one pull to get to neutral, relax, another pull into gear.

As soon as I read "much more difficult when taking a slow sharp turn" I thought "Yep ... mounts".
      06-20-2014, 02:00 AM   #10
tikamak
Captain
Lebanon
Rep

Quote:
Yeah that'll make the picture more clear. I'll take a look at it tomorrow. I get the feeling it's also the mounts. Passengers always complain that not only do they feel every crack on the road, but the kick it makes from 1-2 on top of that just looks like a bobblehead sitting next to me.

From those gears it's always, 1st gear, one heartbeat, 2nd gear. It'll be a disaster if I dare try to shift faster or slower than that. I've heard that's normal however? This transmission doesn't like to be shifted quickly? Sounds kinda ridiculous. Thoughts?
It's the contrary, this transmission can be shifted lightning fast.
It's just that 1-2 shifts needs to be very very accurately timed.

try shifting 3-4-5, you can make the tyres spin at 60+mph
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2014, 03:12 AM   #11
UntzUntzUntz
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

So most likely it's the mounts. We shall find out tomorrow.

I guess my sources are wrong about the trans... but tires spinning @ 60+??? Mine only spins when I engage into 2nd lol I wanna have w.e that guy's having!

And YES. It needs to be super accurate between those gears. Such a bad girl she is
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2014, 06:28 AM   #12
tikamak
Captain
Lebanon
Rep

Quote:
So most likely it's the mounts. We shall find out tomorrow.

I guess my sources are wrong about the trans... but tires spinning @ 60+??? Mine only spins when I engage into 2nd lol I wanna have w.e that guy's having!

And YES. It needs to be super accurate between those gears. Such a bad girl she is
Easy, at 2nd gear 8000 RPM, shift into 3rd like the SMG shifts.
You need be CDV less.

PS:
my car is supercharged but my point is that you can shift as fast as your hand and feet can shift and the transmission likes it.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2014, 11:48 AM   #13
UntzUntzUntz
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikamak View Post
Easy, at 2nd gear 8000 RPM, shift into 3rd like the SMG shifts.
You need be CDV less.

PS:
my car is supercharged but my point is that you can shift as fast as your hand and feet can shift and the transmission likes it.
I think it's because of the thick ass tires in the back lol. but then again... I've never fully redlined the car... time to take away her virginity

Thanks akha jan
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2014, 03:25 PM   #14
UntzUntzUntz
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

So here's something I didn't expect. The car has no issues. Mounts are fine. And apparently it's normal for it to rattle. The dual mass flywheel creates a rattling noise at random occasions when the clutch disengages at a certain rpm. It's never predictable exactly when it will rattle. So, Elerner61, you were correct.

Thank you everyone for sharing your .02. An extra z4 will continue to stay on the road
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2014, 04:10 PM   #15
elerner61
Major
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4M Roadster

If it was diagnosed to be your dual mass flywheel then at least you know what is causing the noise. That said, it is not normal for the flywheel to make noise under the situations you describe. Live with it if you like, but most if not all of us are only hearing that noise when we turn off our engine with the clutch out (happens every time)
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2014, 07:27 PM   #16
UntzUntzUntz
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Yeah that much is normal I understand. I always turn off while the gear's in anyway. However, it sounds logical to me that it rattles when it gets disengaged from the clutch. Sure it's embarrassing when I have passengers but who cares, they can leave, less weight in the car

I'll definitely be keeping an eye out if it gets worse and maybe when I get a chance to drive another M I can see the real difference. For now, case closed lol
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2014, 11:18 AM   #17
XMetal
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [10.00]
2018 Audi S3  [0.00]
2004 X5  [8.50]
Quote:
Yeah that much is normal I understand. I always turn off while the gear's in anyway. However, it sounds logical to me that it rattles when it gets disengaged from the clutch. Sure it's embarrassing when I have passengers but who cares, they can leave, less weight in the car

I'll definitely be keeping an eye out if it gets worse and maybe when I get a chance to drive another M I can see the real difference. For now, case closed lol
The clutch disengaging rattle in 1st and reverse is normal (so I've been told). I have it and heard it on M3s as well. I had/have it before and after engine/transmission mounts upgrade (all engine mount bolts were updated with 10.9 Motorsport bolts as well). This happens only when driving in low RPMs, usually in parking lots. It's fine otherwise during normal launch and shifts.

Where are you in So Cal? You're more than welcome to take a spin in my coupe to hear and compare noises.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2014, 01:08 PM   #18
UntzUntzUntz
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMetal View Post
The clutch disengaging rattle in 1st and reverse is normal (so I've been told). I have it and heard it on M3s as well. I had/have it before and after engine/transmission mounts upgrade (all engine mount bolts were updated with 10.9 Motorsport bolts as well). This happens only when driving in low RPMs, usually in parking lots. It's fine otherwise during normal launch and shifts.

Where are you in So Cal? You're more than welcome to take a spin in my coupe to hear and compare noises.
I'm more closer to the valley. Live in Granada Hills, work in Canoga Park, and school in North Hollywood. I'm all over the place lol

If you're around those areas I would love to. You can take mine's for a spin as well. Maybe it's just the way I drive
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2014, 01:29 PM   #19
XMetal
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [10.00]
2018 Audi S3  [0.00]
2004 X5  [8.50]
The valley is a bit of a drive for me. If you're ever in Orange County (Irvine), feel free to drop by
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2014, 01:33 PM   #20
UntzUntzUntz
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Maybe on the way down to BigSoCal Euro meet woowoo!
Appreciate 0