ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-26-2009, 06:37 PM   #1
Incompatible
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 AW Z4C 3.0Si

Climate Controls: Air Flow Erratic

I generally have the air flow set to exit the dash vents and turn the fan on/off as needed. I have noticed several times now that if I change the controls to redirect the air to the windshield defroster vents, the air flow does not change. If I turn the fan speed up to max, the air sounds like it's being blocked and the fan is straining. After switching the air flow control between the defroster, dash, and floor vents several times, eventually I can hear the air slowly being diverted to the indicated vent until full flow is acheived. The air flow control then works fine for a couple of weeks. It seems that the mechanism which controls the air flow is sticking. Is there a quick fix, such as an easy to reach part lubrication, or is it off to the dealer?
      03-27-2009, 05:12 AM   #2
rc'Z
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Convertible

Probably off to the dealer unless you have been under the dash and knocked a line/wire loose.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2009, 08:41 AM   #3
Incompatible
Major
United_States
Rep

No adventures under the dash. I don't think the problem is electrical due to the slow but eventual change in air flow. I'm thinking that a part is sticky or has a small amount of drag on it. Thanks for the response.

Last edited by Incompatible; 03-27-2009 at 09:00 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2009, 08:46 AM   #4
airZ4M
Registered
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Alpine/Light Sepang

Erratic Air Flow

Have had mine in several times for same issue as well as COMPLAINT OF FLOOR/DASH mix sending air to upper defrost vents. Never been able to resolve - only thing they will say is the flow is "consistent with other Z4s on lot".

Generally if I cycle through all vent selections and then settle back on dash only its fine.

Sorry this isn't really any help - just confirmation of someone else with same general issue.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2009, 09:00 AM   #5
Incompatible
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by airZ4M View Post
Have had mine in several times for same issue as well as COMPLAINT OF FLOOR/DASH mix sending air to upper defrost vents. Never been able to resolve - only thing they will say is the flow is "consistent with other Z4s on lot".

Generally if I cycle through all vent selections and then settle back on dash only its fine.

Sorry this isn't really any help - just confirmation of someone else with same general issue.
Exactly my problem. Sounds like your dealer is giving you the runaround. Air flow is ok only after the diverter/gate (whatever it's called) does it's job.

Thanks for the response. I will post as things hopefully progress.
      03-27-2009, 09:13 AM   #6
Incompatible
Major
United_States
Rep

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...1#post15895586

Sounds like it's a replacement part situation. The above link was very informative. Time to call the dealer.