ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-07-2013, 07:51 PM   #1
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Me

Garage List
Product Test: NeverWet

Last week, I picked up a NeverWet (Clear) kit from HomeDepot and used it on an old rain jacket I had and my work boots. The stuff is amazing. It works as advertized. It does have one drawback, it dries to a slight milky haze.

So fast forward one week. I picked up two kits this weekend and wanted to do a test on my car cover. I have two covers on the car. The inner cover is a NOAH cover and the outer cover is a Sunbrella cover to keep the sun from destroying the NOAH cover. The Sunbrella cover has long since lost all its ability to shed water. Water just soaks right though as you can see in the video below. Good time for a test.

Since I only had two kits, I could only treat the top and sides down to the just below the upper door. Now I will see how long its water shedding properties will last.

Certain solvents, alcohols and soap/detergents will cause the surface of the coating to lose superhydrophobicity. Once these chemicals are removed, the superhydrophobicity will generally return. NeverWet is less effective at repelling motor oils and oil based liquids.
Environmental conditions will affect the longevity of the NeverWet coating. Abrasion is the leading cause of reduction in the coating’s life, but also exposure to things such as high pressure water can reduce the life of the coating.
The breathability of a coated item is dependent on how heavy the Base Coat is applied.
The lighter the Base Coat, the more breathable the item will be. If a continuous, heavy film is applied, the surface will not be breathable.

Last edited by Shipkiller; 07-07-2013 at 08:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2013, 07:58 PM   #2
dubsesd
#dubspec
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 X5/ 2016 F80 M3 INDVL

Awesome. I need to get a kit and spray something haha
MPE / M Performance & Carbon package / KW v3 / 20" HRE R101LW / 20" HRE 527s / Michelin PSS / 20% tint / 3d Design / Streckenn splitters / OEM GTS hood / EAS Carbon seatbacks / Carbon RKP sideskirt / Bootmod3 / M Performance Tri color alcantara / AWE S Flow
instagram: @ dubsesd
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2013, 09:00 PM   #3
pal
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

Nice. I will pick up one kit for my track canopy that is starting to seep water through on continual rain.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2013, 08:21 PM   #4
Punko
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4 M Coupe

Nice, going to try it on my patio furniture cover.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2013, 07:24 PM   #5
Urluz3n
Lackey
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 BMW M Coupe

Back in the days when I had very little money and too much boat I had found that soaking my Sunbrella Bimini top and Thompson's water seal works rather well. The trick was to reinstall it while it was still wet with Thompson's so it cured a little stiff but in the right positions. I did it once a year for four years. Until I sold the boat. I don't know the condition of the Bimini top at this point and time.
      08-07-2013, 07:49 PM   #6
Caddyshk
M = Midlife Crisis
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MC Interlagos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipkiller View Post
Last week, I picked up a NeverWet (Clear) kit from HomeDepot and used it on an old rain jacket I had and my work boots. The stuff is amazing. It works as advertized. It does have one drawback, it dries to a slight milky haze.

So fast forward one week. I picked up two kits this weekend and wanted to do a test on my car cover. I have two covers on the car. The inner cover is a NOAH cover and the outer cover is a Sunbrella cover to keep the sun from destroying the NOAH cover. The Sunbrella cover has long since lost all its ability to shed water. Water just soaks right though as you can see in the video below. Good time for a test.

Since I only had two kits, I could only treat the top and sides down to the just below the upper door. Now I will see how long its water shedding properties will last.

Certain solvents, alcohols and soap/detergents will cause the surface of the coating to lose superhydrophobicity. Once these chemicals are removed, the superhydrophobicity will generally return. NeverWet is less effective at repelling motor oils and oil based liquids.
Environmental conditions will affect the longevity of the NeverWet coating. Abrasion is the leading cause of reduction in the coating’s life, but also exposure to things such as high pressure water can reduce the life of the coating.
The breathability of a coated item is dependent on how heavy the Base Coat is applied.
The lighter the Base Coat, the more breathable the item will be. If a continuous, heavy film is applied, the surface will not be breathable.
Always test new products on the Wife's car Ship?
SS Race Cans, RE X Pipe, DKF Sec 1, Fabspeed Headers, OE STB, AS Shifter, Dave Z CDV, GC Coil Overs, Stoptech lines, Hawk DTC Pads, RE Clutch Stop, RE Transmission Mounts, Vibra-Technics Engine Mounts, Poly FCAB & RTAB, LeatherZ M Shift Boot, Tekarbon Rear Spoiler, CF Grills, Advan RS DGM
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2013, 02:07 PM   #7
Z4inAZ
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4 2.5 03

Ive always been told its important to have a breathable car cover so the moisture wont get trapped underneath and cause problems. I figure if it cant get in from above it cant exit from below, so what happens with moisture in the air that starts condensating underneath the cover?