ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > Z4 DIY (Do It Yourself) Articles
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

02-13-2009, 01:48 PM   #1
Z4NJ
Registered
Rep
Drives: z4 2.5

z4 aftermarket dvd stereo

Anybody know how or where to find the instruction to install z4 aftermarker stereo" step by step". Well bought kv819dvd, wire harnees, and antenna adapter. My system is 10 speaker "Hifi". I just can't figure out how to connect the aftermarket radio 4 speakers wire to the 10 speaker with manifucture amp. I read couple forum saying you have to install new aftermarket amp and speaker. Is there a way to install with out buy new amp and speaker? Please HELP!!! Instruction step by step is very helpful. THANK

Last edited by Z4NJ; 02-14-2009 at 01:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2009, 08:59 PM   #2
preilly44
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 04 Z4

I had the same unit professionally installed in my old Z4 and I did not have to buy a new amp or anything else. The system was amazing...I had the 819DVD, g510 gps and bt200 bluetooth kit. I loved it!
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2009, 11:53 AM   #3
strokeZ
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '11 e92 M3 6MT

going to try this in a week or so. spoke to many local installers around here, some conflicts, but all agree with the business CD, non DSP system should be doable. will let you know.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2009, 03:05 AM   #4
papitosabe
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '06 Z4 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4NJ View Post
Anybody know how or where to find the instruction to install z4 aftermarker stereo" step by step". Well bought kv819dvd, wire harnees, and antenna adapter. My system is 10 speaker "Hifi". I just can't figure out how to connect the aftermarket radio 4 speakers wire to the 10 speaker with manifucture amp. I read couple forum saying you have to install new aftermarket amp and speaker. Is there a way to install with out buy new amp and speaker? Please HELP!!! Instruction step by step is very helpful. THANK

same issue....same aftermarket stereo...you are trying to keep your 10 speaker set up, correct? mobileone and bestbuy say i need to purchase 10 new speakers and a new amp...there is another forum on this subject as well...let us know how it goes...
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2009, 12:13 PM   #5
prophetx2
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

any word on this? I have the premium non nav (10 speaker) but, all I want to do is upgrade to a kenwood nav screen and use the controls on the steering wheel. The speakers do just fine for me and i would prefer not to replace.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2009, 10:40 PM   #6
papitosabe
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by prophetx2 View Post
any word on this? I have the premium non nav (10 speaker) but, all I want to do is upgrade to a kenwood nav screen and use the controls on the steering wheel. The speakers do just fine for me and i would prefer not to replace.
same here...still not sure if mine is dig output or not...don't want to buy amp nor speakers...
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2009, 11:45 AM   #7
nickpapa
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0

if you have DSP (rock, jazz, classic, whatever else there is), you can't just swap in a headunit because of the digital signal. If you DONT have DSP you can wire up the wireharness and you will be fine. Hooking up all 10 speakers is not possible because the aftermarket headunit only has outputs for 4 speakers. The only way would be to add an aftermarket amp and run the existing speakers off of that.

if you have DSP and still want to run an aftermarket headunit, you would have to run wiring from the new headunit to the 4 speakers. You would also need a headunit that would be compatible with the steering wheel controls (if you wanted to keep that feature).
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2009, 11:51 AM   #8
prophetx2
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickpapa View Post
if you have DSP (rock, jazz, classic, whatever else there is), you can't just swap in a headunit because of the digital signal. If you DONT have DSP you can wire up the wireharness and you will be fine. Hooking up all 10 speakers is not possible because the aftermarket headunit only has outputs for 4 speakers. The only way would be to add an aftermarket amp and run the existing speakers off of that.

if you have DSP and still want to run an aftermarket headunit, you would have to run wiring from the new headunit to the 4 speakers. You would also need a headunit that would be compatible with the steering wheel controls (if you wanted to keep that feature).
sigh figured that much.> I can run wires to the speakers..but we have 10 speakers. Can we connect to the cross over..or is that built into the amp? It'd be awesome if we can do some sort of connection to harness and then intercept it at the amp and do some sort of conversion..
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2009, 12:38 PM   #9
nickpapa
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by prophetx2 View Post
sigh figured that much.> I can run wires to the speakers..but we have 10 speakers. Can we connect to the cross over..or is that built into the amp? It'd be awesome if we can do some sort of connection to harness and then intercept it at the amp and do some sort of conversion..
well the wiring actually goes from the headunit to the amp and then out the amp to the speakers. so the only way is to wire directly to the speakers (or to the wires that come out from the amp but that would be a further distance).

the way i have it setup is the door speakers and the rear speakers run off of the headunit and the floor speakers and tweeters have been changed and run off of an amp. before i put the amp in i was running just the 4 speakers off of the headunit and in my opinion, it actually sounded better than having all 10 speakers running off of the stock headunit/amp. so maybe you'd want to consider this option also. the bass wasnt as strong (obviously) but if you decide to add an amp you can add a small 8 inch sub which will easily provide more bass than the 2 - 6 1/2's behind the seats.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2009, 01:34 PM   #10
strokeZ
Private First Class
Rep

Nickpapa - any pics of fitment of the 8" subs? I just wired everything up with the harness (4 speakers out) and the stock amp is running all 10 speakers to spite me. Going to do an aftermarket amp this weekend. Would you prefer two 10" subs in the trunk or 2 8" subs behind rear seats? I am not sure what would work best..
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2009, 02:59 PM   #11
nickpapa
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by strokeZ View Post
Nickpapa - any pics of fitment of the 8" subs? I just wired everything up with the harness (4 speakers out) and the stock amp is running all 10 speakers to spite me. Going to do an aftermarket amp this weekend. Would you prefer two 10" subs in the trunk or 2 8" subs behind rear seats? I am not sure what would work best..
to be honest, i entertained the idea of putting 2 6 1/2" subs behind the rear seats but the subs i wanted to use would work best in a sealed box. i thought it would be no biggie but after measuring the cavitity, the height for the opening was only 4 1/2 inches. i could have cut the opening but i figured if i wanted to sell the car and put back the stock stuff, the stock plate/sub would never bolt up without some modification. i thought about going ported but the space that is available is too small to dial in everything correctly.

so i scrapped the idea and bought an 8 inch image dynamics dual 2 ohm sub. the box i built is 12"Wx12"Hx7"D sealed (.35 cuft). i have a 4 channel amp mounted on the back wall of the trunk (behind the seats) which saves on room and the sub is to the left in front of the bump on the wall carpet. it sounds great and am very happy i went this route. i was worried about the space i would lose but its really not that bad.

i had to take the sub out for now cause it had an issue and needed to be sent in for a repair but once they send it back to me ill post some pics up.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2009, 03:10 PM   #12
strokeZ
Private First Class
Rep

sounds similar to what Im planning. Have a JL audio box w 2 10" JLA subs and their mono amp. How hard was it to wire from your head unit to the back of the trunk?? If I can find my camera I will shoot some pics and post. I am not a huge fan of trunk subs, but not many options in this car. I figure I should be pushing 600w at 2 ohms.....probably more rattle than what I am looking for but had the stuff laying around.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2009, 03:26 PM   #13
nickpapa
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by strokeZ View Post
sounds similar to what Im planning. Have a JL audio box w 2 10" JLA subs and their mono amp. How hard was it to wire from your head unit to the back of the trunk?? If I can find my camera I will shoot some pics and post. I am not a huge fan of trunk subs, but not many options in this car. I figure I should be pushing 600w at 2 ohms.....probably more rattle than what I am looking for but had the stuff laying around.
yeah i hear ya. i had no intentions on doing a trunk sub either. unfortunately that was the only option. those 2 10's will hit extremely hard as this 8 hits just as hard as my 1 10 in my old car with an enclosed trunk (back seat etc.).

as far as rattles though, i do not have any (knock on wood).

wiring in my opinion was a piece of cake. getting the wires down from the headunit was real simple as there is a lot of room and openings. i removed the floor speaker grill and routed the wiring along the edge by the hood release, the door steps clip off and there is another panel right after the doorstep that comes off (youll knwo what i mean when you see it). then after that you just remove that little vent right behind the seats. i pushed all the wiring up under that one panel and pulled it through that little vent. then you just route it towards the trunk and there is a square opening on both left and right sides of the trunk (underneath the wall carpet). these openings (whichever side you decide to run the wires), will route you straight into the trunk. only took me an hour or 2 to run 2 sets of rca's (these i ziptied together so i would only have to do 1 run instead of 2) and a remote wire.

btw: 12ft RCA cables will give you about 3 feet to work with once they get to the trunk. this was more than enough to reach the amp.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2009, 03:37 PM   #14
strokeZ
Private First Class
Rep

Awesome thanks for the info. I was thinking of running RCA's under the center counsole and then finding a spot to get behind and into the trunk. Yours sounds like a much better option. Is the back carpet wall in the forward truck strong enough to mount an amp or did you back it with some type of wood? Sorry for all the ?'s.....never worked on a convertable before.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2009, 04:24 PM   #15
nickpapa
First Lieutenant
Rep

i measured my amp and then cut a piece of wood that was about a qaurter inch wider and longer than the amp. i screwed that into the wall and then screwed the amp onto the wood (the wood is under the carpet and not showing).

Last edited by nickpapa; 05-14-2009 at 05:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2009, 12:02 AM   #16
papitosabe
Second Lieutenant
Rep

i have dsp so basically, it is possible to keep my 10 speaker set up...so i'll need to use the new HU to run 4 of the speakers and a separate amp to run the other speakers and have all rewired...i know you prob just stated that, but just want to make sure...i i do have the kenwood interface to be able to use the steering wheel functions and a bluetooth interface to use my phone as before, so thats not an issue... thx nick
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2009, 09:32 AM   #17
nickpapa
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by papitosabe View Post
i have dsp so basically, it is possible to keep my 10 speaker set up...so i'll need to use the new HU to run 4 of the speakers and a separate amp to run the other speakers and have all rewired...i know you prob just stated that, but just want to make sure...i i do have the kenwood interface to be able to use the steering wheel functions and a bluetooth interface to use my phone as before, so thats not an issue... thx nick
exactly
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2009, 01:10 PM   #18
prophetx2
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
exactly
seems straight forward... How are the fronts/tweets hooked up? Are they on a crossover of some sort and they only need 1 input each? I'm hoping its really just 4 lines (2 in front(into some sort of crossover) 2 in rear) and then an amp for say the two "subs".

If thas the case I can't see it taking too long to do the head unit install for the head unit since everything is so close.. And i'd be content with 8 speakers instead of the 10 for the immediate future..
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2009, 02:03 PM   #19
nickpapa
First Lieutenant
Rep

all 10 speakers go to one single amp (the one next to the battery) so there are no crossovers inbetween and no other equipment involved.

the tweeters are not combined with any of the other speakers. they have their own wiring going straight to the amp just like every other speaker.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2009, 11:28 AM   #20
prophetx2
Private
United_States
Rep

ok now i'm confused. I THINK i have a dsp but, i'm not sure. How can I tell?

My business CD has a settings for "dsp" (clicking on the sound menu until i see it). The 3 settings are silly..."concert", "church", "jazz club". This doesn't behave like how I would normally expect (a digital equalizer of sorts). On other BMWs with DSP i thought I remember seeing an equalizer with the ability to adjust each frequency?

Is the Z4 DSP really crappy...or I really don't have dsp? I do have 10 speakers though..6 up front, 2 side rear, 2 "subs".
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2009, 08:37 AM   #21
nickpapa
First Lieutenant
Rep

you have DSP. if you have the concert jazz etc. options that you stated above, you have DSP. if not, no DSP.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2009, 09:39 AM   #22
prophetx2
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
you have DSP. if you have the concert jazz etc. options that you stated above, you have DSP. if not, no DSP.
thanks for all the help. i'm looking at doing this myself as the quotes i got were almost ridiculous in nature and seems very simple. I won't have to pop the door panels off correct (i HATE messing with door panels)? Since the battery is in the rear and we got to put the amp there...this is a VERY straight forward install.

The only thing I'm concerned about is wiring the fronts without a crossover. It seems like the crossover was built into the digital amp. There are crossovers that you can buy for this, but it seems relatively expensive.

Does anyone know of off the shelf 3 ways that will fit without drilling/cutting/etc and doesn't break the bank?
Appreciate 0