ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-30-2010, 09:02 PM   #1
blender
Custom User Title
United_States
Rep
Drives: black

Drivers's Airbag question

Hi -

I recently swapped my wheel and switches for new ones. Removed the airbag module as per DIYs here and TIS instructions. No problems, on and off were easy. All cables replaced, all switches work, horn works. However the airbag indicator is now lit in the instrument cluster.

Double-checked all cables this AM. Any other ideas? Is this just a code that needs to be cleared?

thx

RC
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2010, 09:31 PM   #2
mhughett
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

I'm guessing that when you changed your wheel, you didn't remove the negative cable to the battery? This is step one of most DIY's for steering wheel replacement because if the computer senses that the airbag has been removed, the light goes on--even if all plugs and switches are correctly re-installed. I think the only thing you can do is have the light reset but I think this requires a separate tool from the standard Peake tool. Not sure if you can do it without a tool or without taking it to the dealer. Good luck.

Retired--2007 Z4 M Coupe (Imola Red/Black, Premium Pkg, Heated Seats, XM, Bimmian stubby antenna, CDV delete, Apex EC-7--Anthracite, Goodyear F1 Asymetric 2.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2010, 09:36 AM   #3
blender
Custom User Title
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhughett View Post
I'm guessing that when you changed your wheel, you didn't remove the negative cable to the battery? This is step one of most DIY's for steering wheel replacement because if the computer senses that the airbag has been removed, the light goes on--even if all plugs and switches are correctly re-installed. I think the only thing you can do is have the light reset but I think this requires a separate tool from the standard Peake tool. Not sure if you can do it without a tool or without taking it to the dealer. Good luck.

Actually I did pull the Neg lead and waited 30 minutes on the dot before working. I even hit the radio and dome light before I pulled the 'bag to make sure there was no juice in the system. Pretty sure that's not it.

Any idea if cycling the battery off/on again would clear the light? I kinda think not. And it's a pain to get at in the M: three plastic screws, three metal screws, cover.

thx

rc
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2010, 10:03 AM   #4
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

For the air bag system I don't think cycling will clear it.
Any change that the bag wiring connector isn't quite snapped in?
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2010, 05:09 PM   #5
blender
Custom User Title
United_States
Rep

Update - it was a code. Clearing the code solved the problem. Don't know why it THREW a code, given that the Batt was disconnected for 30min prior to removing the module, but all's well now. Cost me $20 and five minutes at my local bimmer mechanic.
Appreciate 0