ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-01-2023, 01:17 PM   #1
figure09
Rep
Drives: 128i

Preventative maintenance on Z4 M Roadster

Hey all! Looking to pull the trigger on a 2006 Z4Mr. The ones I'm looking at are 65-80KM (40-50 miles).

I'm hopefully looking to keep the car for the long term, and I'm wondering how much money I need to set aside (and hopefully negotiate) for major maintenance. From what I understand, the rod bearings, vanos rebuild and valve adjustments are what I'll be looking at. If there is anything else I'm looking at, please also let me know!

Can anyone shed some light on how much this would approximately cost from an independent shop? If you can provide me USD or CAD that would be very helpful.

Thank you in advance!
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2023, 09:18 PM   #2
Sergio19
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Z4MR

Garage List
Forget rod bearings. Vanos rebuild maybe if it sounds bad. Valve adjustment at 100K give or take.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2023, 04:37 AM   #3
bwright657
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
Not sure what your local labor rates are, but I can at least give you some shop times.

The factory interval for valve adjustment is every 30k miles. Bulletproofing the VANOS (Beisan exhaust hub, solenoid pack, anti-rattle kit and timing chain guide) is a good thing to do “while you’re in there.” You would probably be looking at 6 hours of labor for that.

Rod bearings should be done by 100k or if the oil pan gasket leaks, whichever comes first. Your mileage will vary based on how the car is driven. Definitely let the engine fully warm up before giving it full gas or running to redline. You’re probably looking at around 8 hours of labor for that job. Other “while you’re in there” jobs would be motor and transmission mounts.