ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-12-2012, 02:09 AM   #23
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtMc
I foresee the following events unfolding within 24 hours:

Ship decides replacement key too costly for the qnty of raw materials involved.
Ship engineers a custom retinal and thermal scanner that detects the car owner.
Ship fabricates said scanner, on his coffee break.
Ship installs said scanner in car - for half the cost of a new key.
Ship makes rest of forum envious yet again.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2012, 05:32 AM   #24
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Me

Garage List
I did take the completely dead key apart last night. This morning I attempted to use just that key (no internal electronics) to start the car with the working key sitting on the center console by the shifter. This was to see just what would happen. No start.

I 'assume' that when you insert the key in the ignition, the inductive coupling now allows the certain interlocks/blocks to be removed internally to the key and the code is transmitted to the antenna located in or around the ignition assembly. I am also going to assume this is a coded pulse train but the only way I could find out is to have a spectrum analyzer present (like a Wavetek or similar) to look at the transmission from the key to ignition assembly. I do know that it is very low power signal centered at 317MHz.

Hopefully my new keys will be here today or tomorrow. I want to get this issue fixed since I am on a plane to San Diego on Sunday. Have to be there for two or three weeks.

Last edited by Shipkiller; 04-12-2012 at 05:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2012, 09:37 AM   #25
pokeybritches
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: ESS/G-Power Z4M, VF Z4, 996tt

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4M  [10.00]
2006 BMW Z4M  [8.50]
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtMc View Post
I foresee the following events unfolding within 24 hours:

Ship decides replacement key too costly for the qnty of raw materials involved.
Ship engineers a custom retinal and thermal scanner that detects the car owner.
Ship fabricates said scanner, on his coffee break.
Ship installs said scanner in car - for half the cost of a new key.
Ship makes rest of forum envious yet again.
LOL

VF Engineering Z4 3.0i, ESS Z4M, G-Power Z4M, 996 Turbo
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2012, 09:42 AM   #26
pokeybritches
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: ESS/G-Power Z4M, VF Z4, 996tt

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4M  [10.00]
2006 BMW Z4M  [8.50]
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipkiller View Post
I did take the completely dead key apart last night. This morning I attempted to use just that key (no internal electronics) to start the car with the working key sitting on the center console by the shifter. This was to see just what would happen. No start.

I 'assume' that when you insert the key in the ignition, the inductive coupling now allows the certain interlocks/blocks to be removed internally to the key and the code is transmitted to the antenna located in or around the ignition assembly. I am also going to assume this is a coded pulse train but the only way I could find out is to have a spectrum analyzer present (like a Wavetek or similar) to look at the transmission from the key to ignition assembly. I do know that it is very low power signal centered at 317MHz.

Hopefully my new keys will be here today or tomorrow. I want to get this issue fixed since I am on a plane to San Diego on Sunday. Have to be there for two or three weeks.
Interesting. I always figured the ignition assembly read a code via the metal end of the key, rather than through an antenna. Now I have something to learn about on my lunch break

VF Engineering Z4 3.0i, ESS Z4M, G-Power Z4M, 996 Turbo
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2012, 10:35 AM   #27
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

We have 2001 and 2009 Honda Accords and for both cars, the keys have immobilizer circuits. That means that you can go to a hardware store and have a key cut, but you can only open the mechanical door locks with it. It won't work in the ignition and it won't let you start the car.

Presumably, the Z4 keys do something similar. My local SA told me that they include a memory feature that talks to the car's computer and records service information. So, if your car is asking for service, the SA can use just the key to determine if that is an oil change, coolant flush, or some other maintenance item.

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2012, 11:25 AM   #28
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Me

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz-Z View Post
We have 2001 and 2009 Honda Accords and for both cars, the keys have immobilizer circuits. That means that you can go to a hardware store and have a key cut, but you can only open the mechanical door locks with it. It won't work in the ignition and it won't let you start the car.
Yep, you can buy a new blank on EBAY (how would you cut it??) but it would not be registered with the EWS.

The EWS: http://www.shipkiller.com/Electronic...m_EWS_3.3.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz-Z View Post
Presumably, the Z4 keys do something similar. My local SA told me that they include a memory feature that talks to the car's computer and records service information. So, if your car is asking for service, the SA can use just the key to determine if that is an oil change, coolant flush, or some other maintenance item.
I have heard of this but have NEVER seen it. I think it is all talk. Most likely, your SA is confused about how the E85/86 works and the newer models from BMW.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2012, 11:39 AM   #29
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipkiller View Post
I have heard of this but have NEVER seen it. I think it is all talk. Most likely, your SA is confused about how the E85/86 works and the newer models from BMW.
When I used to take mine into the dealer the SA would take my key and lay it inside a round device attached to her computer. Not sure what it got from my key but she did this every time I went in.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2012, 12:19 PM   #30
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam04 View Post
The dog got BOTH keys, .....bad dog.
Of course, when the first key stopped honking when it was bit, the backup toy was pulled out cause it's honker was still good.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2012, 01:07 PM   #31
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickdr View Post
When I used to take mine into the dealer the SA would take my key and lay it inside a round device attached to her computer. Not sure what it got from my key but she did this every time I went in.
My SA did the same thing but he did seem to have difficulty getting the detailed information he expected to see. As Ship suggests, its likely that this little feature works much better on the E89s.

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2012, 01:51 PM   #32
Nhopkins1394
Accountant, 1st Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0si Roadster, Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokeybritches View Post
Interesting. I always figured the ignition assembly read a code via the metal end of the key, rather than through an antenna. Now I have something to learn about on my lunch break
And while you're in there, why don't you just turbocharge the flux capacitor too?
      04-17-2012, 08:56 PM   #33
EenyBear
Accidentally in BMW
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4MC & R1200S

Hi,

He missed you. The keys were full of "people smells" that reminded him of you and he was communing with the memory. Darn inconvenient tho'... I get it. Nothing happens without a reason.

This is a great opportunity to try one of these little beauties for yourself:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...w=BMW+flip+key
Choose wisely but the quality is generally very high and it feels better in your pocket. Easy swap-out.

Cheers,
Appreciate 0