ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Cosmetics Modification (Exterior/Interior) Discussions
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

02-18-2017, 01:27 PM   #1
JJZ4MR
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Carbon Leather Trim Cleaning

What are you using to clean and UV protect the interior carbon leather trim ? I used a a very light wipe down with 303 Aerospace Protectant and crossed my fingers that it would not hurt it.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2017, 03:44 PM   #2
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

I use Gliptone leather cleaner and conditioner, seeing that it's leather.
      03-08-2017, 05:02 AM   #3
JJZ4MR
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Thanks, just wondered if anyone had tried any products they were happy with. I've got several leather cleaners. Mainly I was wanting the best UV protection as the vert interior sees lots of sunshine. Having never owned a vert before, gotta say, Winter time in central FL is amazing to have one. My low threshold for temperature comfort is around 67* and nearly everyday is at least that all winter long. Now we'll see how high my high temperature threshold is as things are heating up in mid March.
      03-08-2017, 05:16 AM   #4
firewolf
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW

Chemical Guys Leather Conditioner and Cleaner works great.
Appreciate 1
JJZ4MR29.00
      03-08-2017, 12:20 PM   #5
JJZ4MR
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Thanks, Chemical Guys have many great products and some great vids too. With the special texture and pattern, just wasn't sure if ANY leather cleaner/conditioner would work well.
      03-08-2017, 12:36 PM   #6
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep

Mine's been holding up well here in SoCal. Looks like new.
Not so much the A-pillars or the top of the center console.
The Gliptone soaks in and leaves it looking pretty nice.
      03-09-2017, 05:27 AM   #7
JJZ4MR
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
So you use Gliptone on the plastic pieces on the center console/A-pillars ? Or perhaps you have the Napa overlay. I have a 4 inch crack in the center console, which is the rear console between the seats vertically. I just got a quote for that piece yesterday. I'd like to find a black one, parts guy at BMW stealership told me ALL Z4's are the same, UNLESS it's the Napa covered style which is $1,700, the standard one he quoted me at $ 397 Part # 51 46 9 111 649 with a $ 364 install price. Needless to say, this is on my WISH LIST of future DIY. With an install price at that, I'm thinking it must be some work replacing it.
      03-09-2017, 06:57 PM   #8
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep

I have the extended leather.
Every freaking thing is covered with leather.
The A-pillars, the bit across the top of the windshield, and top of the center console are just hatin' the SoCal sun.
I've pulled apart and re-glued all of them twice.
      03-09-2017, 08:46 PM   #9
SaltyNC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Been using Zaino Leather in a Bottle to condition the leather as needed and Zaino's cleaner about once a year. I just pretend I'm giving the leather surfaces a massage. Put the product right on my hand and work it in, then buff any extra off that doesn't soak in. Love the smell of that Leather in a Bottle. Leatherique gets great reviews, but it's a real process to put on properly and needs heat to work correctly, but probably does the best at restoring dry leather.
Aux Port|LED Interior|LED Strip Trunk|Underseat First Aid Box|Stubby Antenna|Intravee II|BMW Oil Change Kit|Top Down Side Panels|Vibra Technics Engine Mounts|Rogue Trans Mounts|Engine Mount Bolts Upgrade|RS Windblocker|Euro Front Plate|M5 Illum Shift Knob|Supersprint Powerloop Exhaust|Gruppe-M Intake|RPI Scoop|Black Grills|19x8.5 ET35 F 19x9.5 ET22 R Sportline 8s PSS| Besian Vanos|CDV Delete
Appreciate 1
JJZ4MR29.00
      11-21-2017, 08:43 PM   #10
apexhittinbull
Rep
Drives: E85 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by StickMon View Post
The A-pillars, the bit across the top of the windshield, and top of the center console are just hatin' the SoCal sun.
Just did this partial re-glue wrap today.

My headliner leather has shrunk from an initial lazy imperfect cut from the factory , left about inch of plastic on driver's side.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2017, 01:46 AM   #11
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep

First time I did it I used Liquid Nails High Temp Formula. Didn't hold.
Second time I use Gorilla Glue, not realizing that it's essentially a dilute expanding foam, like Great Stuff.
Came out a little lumpy. If I knew how much it would expand I would have wrapped it tighter.
But the hold is great! The lumps are one of those things that only I would notice on close inspection.
      11-22-2017, 10:24 PM   #12
SaltyNC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Old school contact cement works great on leather, too, but it's a pain to apply. Works best if done a little at a time, but needs cure time before pressing pieces together, so can make for a long job and light head from the fumes. I used it to adhere the M5 weighted shift knob leather boot to the plastic hoop. I applied to plastic then leather. Let cure a little, then pressed together -- did about 1 inch at a time. Once the two pieces touch, it is game over, but holds like it is welded.

Edit: Just re-read Stickmon's post about the hot sun. Contact cement may not be best for areas that get really hot in the sun as it can become workable again. On my boot, it's never been a problem, but it's tucked down and not exposed to the direct sun.

Salty
Aux Port|LED Interior|LED Strip Trunk|Underseat First Aid Box|Stubby Antenna|Intravee II|BMW Oil Change Kit|Top Down Side Panels|Vibra Technics Engine Mounts|Rogue Trans Mounts|Engine Mount Bolts Upgrade|RS Windblocker|Euro Front Plate|M5 Illum Shift Knob|Supersprint Powerloop Exhaust|Gruppe-M Intake|RPI Scoop|Black Grills|19x8.5 ET35 F 19x9.5 ET22 R Sportline 8s PSS| Besian Vanos|CDV Delete
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2017, 07:18 PM   #13
dc_wright
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z43.0si Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by StickMon View Post
You've got to remove ALL of the old glue from the backing of the leather and from the surface you're gluing to. If you don't you're just gluing new glue to the old glue that's already broken down and it comes back apart relatively quickly.