ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

09-25-2010, 12:17 AM   #23
andrewn80
Rep
Drives: 2004 Alpine White BMW Z4

I'll have to check again and see if I covered all the cracks. The whistle happens when I hit the gas pedal to about 15%. The noise will be constant if i hold the pedal there. If i let up or press it in more, the whistle goes away.

It is loud enough to hear in the cabin if you concentrate and it's loud enough for people on the street to hear.

It's not a rattle. It's more of a whistling sound from the engine compartment.

Did you ever get the name of the part, Cabro? Do you guys think it's a fuel pump thing? What else engages exactly when the throttle is at ~15%?
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2010, 09:25 PM   #24
cabro
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW Z4 SDrive35is

Haven't had it taken apart to confirm yet but the tech thinks it's the Crankcase vent valve. Apparently they start to deteriorate after a while and once a crack appears it will start to whistle exactly as you describe. I have the exact same whistle under the exact same circumstances (15% throttle).

He said it was approx. $600 job but he wants me to wait till the car throws a code as he doesn't want to take it apart in of off chance that's not the problem and i'm out part of the $600.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewn80 View Post
I'll have to check again and see if I covered all the cracks. The whistle happens when I hit the gas pedal to about 15%. The noise will be constant if i hold the pedal there. If i let up or press it in more, the whistle goes away.

It is loud enough to hear in the cabin if you concentrate and it's loud enough for people on the street to hear.

It's not a rattle. It's more of a whistling sound from the engine compartment.

Did you ever get the name of the part, Cabro? Do you guys think it's a fuel pump thing? What else engages exactly when the throttle is at ~15%?
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2012, 12:38 PM   #25
ERZ4
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4

I have the same whistle occurring at steady moderate RPM. It seems to be coming from the driver's side rear to mid section. It's at the decibel level and pitch that you can't cover with music. It's really annoying!!! I'll check out the air intake areas like others hve done, but that seems to far forward.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2012, 07:38 PM   #26
Machster50
Rep
Drives: 2004 Z4 2.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yal View Post
mine turned out to be part of the air intake. There is one duct consisting of two pieces coming off the airbox. The second one connects to the engine in two places. There is a "corrugated" looking section at the top of the second section that frequently breaks down and cracks and can cause this whistle. Mine sounded to everyone like it was coming from the rear of the car, but replacing that duct fixed it right up.
Thats exactly was the problem with mine
Guys - no cost test: wrap the noted 'corrugated' rubber pipe with electrical tape
The whistle noise stops - youll know that was it
Change it yourself and save the $600
Appreciate 0