ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

09-02-2007, 07:06 PM   #1
Feyd
Major
Rep
Drives: a DEEZZULL

Thinking about an Eisenmann Exhaust

but i noticed that they are not EPA or CARB approved... i've never been under my Z, but shouldn't all of the O2 sensors, etc be right before or after the cat? so this would have no effect on my emissions? is it just sound that we are worried about.

just wondering if i would fail a california inspection, etc if i were to put it on my Z??

anyone have any insight on the topic? also i would really like a sound clip if someone has one out there.

thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2007, 08:07 PM   #2
Feyd
Major
Rep

25 views and no replies?? c'mon guys
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2007, 05:54 AM   #3
155MPH
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4 sDrive28i M Performance

Garage List
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2007, 02:49 PM   #4
BimmerZealot
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 xDrive30i

The catalytic converters are in the headers on most BMW, your car included. Which means that even adding a full cat/header back exhaust system you will not have to worry about not passing emissions. The only thing you would need to worry about is ticket happy cops that might ding you for "too loud" exhaust. But, I've only known that to happen to JDM cars. Now, if you changed out the stock headers for aftermarket ones and did not install post header cats then you will no longer pass emissions and you definitely smell it. As for the sensors they are all plugged into the headers so once again nothing to worry about.

In short, DO IT! The Eisenmann exhaust systems sound amazing, might I recommend the RACE tone =] and maybe even the Eisenmann Quads ?
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2007, 05:14 PM   #5
Feyd
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerZealot View Post
The catalytic converters are in the headers on most BMW, your car included. Which means that even adding a full cat/header back exhaust system you will not have to worry about not passing emissions. The only thing you would need to worry about is ticket happy cops that might ding you for "too loud" exhaust. But, I've only known that to happen to JDM cars. Now, if you changed out the stock headers for aftermarket ones and did not install post header cats then you will no longer pass emissions and you definitely smell it. As for the sensors they are all plugged into the headers so once again nothing to worry about.

In short, DO IT! The Eisenmann exhaust systems sound amazing, might I recommend the RACE tone =] and maybe even the Eisenmann Quads ?

that's kind of what i was thinking as far as not having to worry about the sensors... it just states that they are not carb approved so i wanted to be sure. i dig the quad tips, but its just too expensive for my blood... what with buying the new rear bumper, etc...

still undecided what i'm going to do exactly, but thanks for the help!

Appreciate 0
      09-05-2007, 02:08 AM   #6
BimmerZealot
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 xDrive30i

Ya the quad tips are amazing, you actually wont need a new bumper, all you will need to do is have the muffler shop that does your install or even DIY cut a opening for the other pair of tips, pretty simple.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2007, 09:26 AM   #7
lumpy
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: Several, including a BIG truck

Lack of approval may not necessarily mean lack of compliance, but more likely that they have not submitted the system for testing, which will probably be a job for the local importer, or for the manafacturer to provide evidence of compliance with an approved companion scheme.
      09-13-2007, 11:50 PM   #8
SouthFLBMWMech
Rep
Drives: 07 M Coupe, 07 328i, 06 X5 3.0

CARB approval doesn't mean you'll have a check engine problem after install.
provided that theres an o2 sensor bung BEFORE and AFTER each cat in the system- the computer will get its required readings
Appreciate 0