ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Suspension and Braking Chat
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-16-2015, 02:26 PM   #1
mimarcos
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MR, 2017 S3 APR1

Installed new BBK on Z4M, question after install

So I just ordered the 4-front 2-rear BBK from RacingBrake. I'm looking forward to testing them out in the coming weeks (never have I wanted warm weather more, particularly after unpacking her for the winter last week).

When I drove the car away from the shop, it seemed like something was amiss. You know that feeling at the end of braking, when you get the weight-transfer backwards? As opposed to the feeling of coasting to a stop with the clutch disengaged? I was feeling that weight transfer while coasting. I noticed it the entire way home. When I pulled into my garage I heard an intermittent scraping

When the car was in the shop I got a call saying that there was an issue with the parking brake, that they had to "put a shim on the inside." I really don't know what that means, from my talks with RacingBrake, they told me there's an adjuster on the drum that should make the handbrake engage successfully.

Anyway, any thoughts on what this might be? The pad engaging slightly? The handbrake engaging slightly? From what the shop told me it's better but I need to drive it around a bit to get rid of it entirely. Does this sound right?

Thanks!
      03-16-2015, 02:38 PM   #2
dubsesd
#dubspec
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 X5/ 2016 F80 M3 INDVL

No that does not sound right. Never had thus issue with my stoptech kit and everything worked better in all areas. I suggest you revisit your shop or have it looked at by another party of they can't install the BBK successfully.
MPE / M Performance & Carbon package / KW v3 / 20" HRE R101LW / 20" HRE 527s / Michelin PSS / 20% tint / 3d Design / Streckenn splitters / OEM GTS hood / EAS Carbon seatbacks / Carbon RKP sideskirt / Bootmod3 / M Performance Tri color alcantara / AWE S Flow
instagram: @ dubsesd
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 03:35 PM   #3
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

You don't need the shim for the parking brake. The shoes expand with a little gear looking wheel in the middle of the assembly. You can't adjust the shoe right unless you put the rotors on the car (since the hub of the rotor act as the drum).

Should take the car back to the shop and ask them to take the shim out and adjust the shoe right. What you are feeling might be the shim dragging on the drum of the rotor, which isn't good (although in a few hundred miles it would wear itself away I suppose).
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 07:14 PM   #4
mimarcos
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MR, 2017 S3 APR1

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
You don't need the shim for the parking brake. The shoes expand with a little gear looking wheel in the middle of the assembly. You can't adjust the shoe right unless you put the rotors on the car (since the hub of the rotor act as the drum).

Should take the car back to the shop and ask them to take the shim out and adjust the shoe right. What you are feeling might be the shim dragging on the drum of the rotor, which isn't good (although in a few hundred miles it would wear itself away I suppose).
I suspect you're likely correct. My initial post was likely a little bit panicky, but I wanted to go to the shop armed with knowledge from someone like you, heh. I got a call explaining that my car would take another day when they first had it, because of that handbrake issue. RacingBrake told me pretty much the same thing you said, there is an adjuster for the handbrake to make it engage properly inside the new rotor.

Anyway, when I picked up the car, I was told they took it all down and readjusted the handbrake. Some part of me heard that as "we took out the shim, and adjusted the handbrake as we should have first" because when I drove away I had no issues. No more brake scrape noise, no more weight transfer on free-rolling stops.

I only had about a 10 minute ride home, and the pads aren't bedded, but I can already feel a noticeable difference in the brakes in conservative street driving, and I'm really excited to see how they perform in the coming weeks!

Thanks for the info (and sorry for the panic'd post)!