ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Wheels and Tires
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-13-2007, 06:18 PM   #1
FloridaBoy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.oi

TIRE PRESSURE warning light?

Hmmm, twice in the last 30 days my tire pressure warning light has come on. (exclamation mark ! inside a red tire) I thought this was due to a flat (or bad tire) on the OEM RFT's but upon inspection they seem fine. (???)

I checked the pressure, found one tire a little low---but not much, so I pumped a little air in it.

Per the manual, I pushed the button on the console, held it until the light went out, drove off and I assume it reset itself cause the light went out both times. I read in the manual that "spirited or sporty driving" can trigger a false warning light. Any thoughts, experiences with this?

Appreciate 0
      06-13-2007, 06:25 PM   #2
takedown8
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 BMW Z4 3.0i

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaBoy View Post
Hmmm, twice in the last 30 days my tire pressure warning light has come on. (exclamation mark ! inside a red tire) I thought this was due to a flat (or bad tire) on the OEM RFT's but upon inspection they seem fine. (???)

I checked the pressure, found one tire a little low---but not much, so I pumped a little air in it.

Per the manual, I pushed the button on the console, held it until the light went out, drove off and I assume it reset itself cause the light went out both times. I read in the manual that "spirited or sporty driving" can trigger a false warning light. Any thoughts, experiences with this?
Haven't had any issues with mine and we both have the ABS sensors. Have you changed your tires/wheels recently?
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2007, 08:30 PM   #3
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

Wierd...all i get is the DSC flashing at me when I forget to turn it off.

07 ///M Coupe (Premium Package) Black Saphire Ext. Imola Red Int.

Best Website EVER!
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2007, 09:00 PM   #4
FloridaBoy
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by takedown8 View Post
Haven't had any issues with mine and we both have the ABS sensors. Have you changed your tires/wheels recently?
Nope, all original less than 15K miles. I'll just keep an eye on it I guess...

Appreciate 0
      06-14-2007, 09:28 AM   #5
jarrow
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 Z4 3.0i

Garage List
2004 z4 3.0i  [2.00]
I've had the same thing happen to me twice in the last two months. Each time the right rear tire was 5-6 lbs lower than the left rear. Each time I added air to get the pressures equal. I believe the system senses a difference in tire speed from when the system was last reset and when that difference is large enough the alarm is set. Resetting the alarm just tells the system to use the new tire characteristics and monitor from there.

Now what to do with a slow leak in my RFT.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2007, 10:10 AM   #6
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarrow View Post
I've had the same thing happen.........
FWIW... Leak check SOP
1st thing is to check the valve stem for leakage. - the old school is to put a little spit on it & watch for bubbles
2nd bead leak - pull the wheel off & douse a little soapy water around the bead lips. (inside & out)
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2007, 04:35 PM   #7
FloridaBoy
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarrow View Post
I've had the same thing happen to me twice in the last two months. Each time the right rear tire was 5-6 lbs lower than the left rear. Each time I added air to get the pressures equal. I believe the system senses a difference in tire speed from when the system was last reset and when that difference is large enough the alarm is set. Resetting the alarm just tells the system to use the new tire characteristics and monitor from there.

Thanks to everyone who replied... yeah, first time it happened I thought dang, I need a new tire, so I started calling around and WOW are they pricey.

Can you believe it, a few months ago, I found a FORK in the rear tire. yes, a FORK stuck in the side at an angle about 3/4 inch. Pulled it out, thought that's it, tire is shot---but it held the air. So... then this warning stuff starts, maybe a slow leak from the fork? NO--when we checked the pressure it was the OTHER tire that was low not the FORKED one.

Then I called the BMW dealer about 25 miles away and the guy said, sir before you come down here just put some air in it. He told me they have a lot of cars come in with this warning light issue and all they need is an air adjustment/re-set button, no big deal. So, I'll just wait and see...

Appreciate 0