ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > Z4 DIY (Do It Yourself) Articles
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

08-11-2010, 11:11 AM   #1
lstratos
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i

Z4 07 - Dome Light LED Swap + other led

This is probably the most frustrated thing to do. They made the light hole almost exact size as the bulb. I think the specs for the bulb is 9.5mm

I end up using this one from v-leds. Its about 10mm, 1 bottom facing led and 4 side leds to reflect off the reflectors. These are SMT, surface mounted tech, so far, they're the brightest thing I ever seen.

http://www.v-leds.com/Exterior-LED/C...85865-1-2.html

For the other areas, trunk, glove compartment, the middle storage consoles, I use the flank bulbs, they're directional and 4 leds are pretty bright

http://www.v-leds.com/Interior-LED/D...25900-1-2.html

Removing the dome light is easy, just stick a little screw driver and make sure you dont scuff the plastic around

You can unplug the lines and take the whole assembly off

Once you have everything out, all the layers are all clipped on, carefully remove each layer

There are 2 screws that holds the reflector and the cover together. Unscrew and they separate

the led bulb I got the slightly bigger, smallest one I can find.. So use a scissor, file or knife. I just enlarge the center hole a little till my bulb fits. Takes less than 5 min to cut a little layer off I also use the same bulb for the side dome lights.. Instead of cutting the hole bigger, I just insert them from the bottom up, do a quick test and make sure everything is working and thew it back in. I'll add pics tonight when its easier to see the lights.

Night shots: Ill have to use a real camera, not iPhone

Trunk

Last edited by lstratos; 08-11-2010 at 09:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2010, 12:30 PM   #2
fercho
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 z4 2.5

i need to repleaced the dome light on my car.. these is good info for me!! thanks

Last edited by fercho; 10-17-2011 at 10:38 PM..
Appreciate 0