ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-22-2011, 11:47 AM   #23
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffhopper View Post
Sorta OT, but when you blip, is the clutch pedal out or in?

I usually pull the shifter out of gear without putting the clutch in, blip, then clutch and downshift.
Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
I don't understand why you pull it out of gear w/o clutching?
Cliff, like inTgr8r, I'm a bit lost as to what you're describing...

When I "blip" the clutch is in and the shifter is moving from 4th to 3rd (or 3rd to 2nd). That way when I let the clutch back out in the lower gear the engine speed is exactly (if I do it right) at the speed the gear would put it in, thereby preserving the balance of the car (and limiting drivetrain stress).

What I think you're describing is clutch in, moving the gear shifter to neutral, letting the clutch out, blipping, clutch in, downshift. I think this is what used to be referred to as "double clutching" and was required when gearboxes didn't have synchros. Not necessary, time consuming, but probably no harm in doing it (assuming you're not pulling the shifter to neutral w/o putting in the clutch).
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2011, 07:58 PM   #24
mfanatic325
///M-fanatic
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: '01 911 Turbo

hehe I've only ever had one instructor before, and that was my very first time out at the track (@ Thunderhill, with NASA HPDE1). I scheduled to have the same instructor work with me outside of NASA, but he's been busy all the way up until now
So I've just been honing my skills by myself so to speak lol. And I think I'm at my own personal limit (don't have enough talent )
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2011, 08:53 PM   #25
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfanatic325 View Post
hehe I've only ever had one instructor before, and that was my very first time out at the track (@ Thunderhill, with NASA HPDE1). I scheduled to have the same instructor work with me outside of NASA, but he's been busy all the way up until now
So I've just been honing my skills by myself so to speak lol. And I think I'm at my own personal limit (don't have enough talent )
I know you're joking a bit, but seriously, I doubt you are at your personal limit. Having been exposed to several instructors now (myself, 'Kitty) they've all had something to offer in terms of eliminating bad habits and in offering new techniques/concepts to work on.

What's more likely is that you've reached your "self-coached" limit. Even professional athletes who do things for a living have coaches, and with a few very rare exceptions most have had instuction/coaching along to way to move them up to the next level. I can't imagine it's any different here, and as a former tennis coach, I kind of have to stick to the idea that coaching is a proven way to improve one's skills. (So you know how to hit heavy topspin? How about heavy slice? How about sidespin? Have a flat serve? How about a topspin serve? A slice serve? A kick serve? Tons to know, tons to learn, driving strikes me about the same.)

I've gone for an "every other time" approach since it's expensive giving we're running two cars. I've found I have enough to work on after a day out with an instructor. So far I can incorporate what I'm asked to work on during each session during the day and improve, but I find it takes another track day to lock that down and hammer it in to my brain, then I'm ready for more. Maybe as I get past noob level I'll be able to accept more input (e.g. coaching each time out), but for now this is a good balance for me in terms of cost/acquisition rate and practice/refinement.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2011, 09:22 PM   #26
mfanatic325
///M-fanatic
Taiwan
Rep

OH yeah, I meant that I'm at my own self-coached limit lol...
I already maximized my first outting/instruction with that one instructor. Definitely need to work with him or other instructors if I want to get any better

Wow you used to coach tennis too? Me too! I've taught for about 5 years, helping out at my coaches academy. He used to be a professional. Got to 700-something in the world ATP rankings
As for me, I was only a national-level junior, competing in 18-and-unders USTA tournaments. I was ranked top 20 in NorCal, and as high as top 400 in the nation never got to ITF level unfortunately
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2011, 12:08 AM   #27
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfanatic325 View Post
OH yeah, I meant that I'm at my own self-coached limit lol...
I already maximized my first outting/instruction with that one instructor. Definitely need to work with him or other instructors if I want to get any better

Wow you used to coach tennis too? Me too! I've taught for about 5 years, helping out at my coaches academy. He used to be a professional. Got to 700-something in the world ATP rankings
As for me, I was only a national-level junior, competing in 18-and-unders USTA tournaments. I was ranked top 20 in NorCal, and as high as top 400 in the nation never got to ITF level unfortunately
Never ranked, played a few tournaments, but was kind of a head case as a kid (thankfully something I grew out of). Played in HS, but focused on school in college but played well enough I could hang with the college players. I was actually better at teaching than playing. Coached a HS team and taught lots of folks over summers along with having a stringing business (damn good money).
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2011, 05:46 AM   #28
mfanatic325
///M-fanatic
Taiwan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
was kind of a head case as a kid (thankfully something I grew out of)...I was actually better at teaching than playing...taught lots of folks over summers along with having a stringing business (damn good money).
Amen to all that lol
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2011, 03:44 AM   #29
Z4-VILLA
Banned
Afghanistan
Rep
Drives: Z4M Hardtop Roadster

i think drive by wire can be improved best with a tune....
Appreciate 0