ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-22-2009, 03:46 PM   #1
Beamer3
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4 M Roadster

Question Soft top & Battery question Z4 MR ('08)

1) Can someone please tell me if it is better to leave the soft top up when the car is garaged and/or is there damage done if it is always down (but not wet)? The unnecessary opening closing might be more damaging that leaving it stowed? (when stored for the winter I left the to up.)

2) How do I access the battery under the mobility kit? Also, is it true that changing the battery must be done by BMW?

Comments and thoughts appreciated.

2009 550i and 2008 X3
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2009, 04:08 PM   #2
Chuck I
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '03 Z4 + '07 ///M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beamer3 View Post
1) Can someone please tell me if it is better to leave the soft top up when the car is garaged and/or is there damage done if it is always down (but not wet)? The unnecessary opening closing might be more damaging that leaving it stowed? (when stored for the winter I left the to up.)

2) How do I access the battery under the mobility kit? Also, is it true that changing the battery must be done by BMW?

Comments and thoughts appreciated.
I think the answer to your first question is personal preference. I don't think harm is done either way. I leave mine up with a cover over the car. As far as your question how to get to the battery. Remove the mobility kit.. That is take the little presure bottle and the pump out. There are 3 nuts on the top that have to be take off.. your wrench in the tool kit will do the trick.. Then there are three plastic rivets, two on the side and one in the front (facing you)... pull those out... All you have to do is pick the cover straight up about 1 inch and then pull it towards you... it will come out... Hope this helps... Chuck I (also... anyone can change the battery....)

Last edited by Chuck I; 03-22-2009 at 04:09 PM.. Reason: more info
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2009, 04:45 PM   #3
jamboMR
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4MR sold *sniff sniff*

Slightly OT, but I always wondered why they put the battery in the trunk anyway? The engine bay has masses of extra space, yet it's taking up valuable trunk space. I'm sure there's a good reason (weight distribution?), I just never knew why?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2009, 05:26 PM   #4
caseysc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i Conv.

Garage List
2005 Z4 2.5i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamboMR View Post
Slightly OT, but I always wondered why they put the battery in the trunk anyway? The engine bay has masses of extra space, yet it's taking up valuable trunk space. I'm sure there's a good reason (weight distribution?), I just never knew why?
Surprised you asked. BMW is all about 50/50 weight distribution front to rear. I would say it is at, or near, top priority in design. It's what gives our cars such great handling along with rear wheel drive and about five other things.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2009, 06:56 PM   #5
Beamer3
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4 M Roadster

I was concerned if the top were always stowed down position would the material hold its creases and look bad over time, and also frequent up and downs tend to wear out the motors quicker.

Kind of got used to the habit of putting it up after a drive in my Jaguar E type since the rear window was soft pastic and would crease. (And it was a pain too, since it was a manual top.)

Thanks for your comments and on the battery removal too. Btw, is it a sealed battery or can water water be added? I keep it on trickle charge all winter (BMW's recomended charger) which does say to check the battery levels periodically. Any thoughts?

2009 550i and 2008 X3
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2009, 05:00 AM   #6
rc'Z
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Convertible

I would be more worried about the top being creased and premature ware than the motors giving out. Top probably costs more to replace than motors, any one know?
On the other hand, if you run the hard top, the soft top stays down and folded for months. I would try to fold the wrinkles out if i were keeping the top down for extended times.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2009, 12:48 PM   #7
vicj
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '06 M Roadster; 2010 Mini

I keep my top down most of the time. No crease issues. In my old M3 vert, I kept the hard top on the car 7 months of the year, and again, no crease issues.
Just occasionally give it a good brushing while using a quality cleaner. This generally takes them out pretty well.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2009, 05:25 AM   #8
rc'Z
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicj View Post
I keep my top down most of the time. No crease issues. In my old M3 vert, I kept the hard top on the car 7 months of the year, and again, no crease issues.
Just occasionally give it a good brushing while using a quality cleaner. This generally takes them out pretty well.
Thanks for the info, I am/was concerned about the wrinkles not going away.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2009, 08:01 PM   #9
mikeyb99
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beamer3 View Post
I was concerned if the top were always stowed down position would the material hold its creases and look bad over time, and also frequent up and downs tend to wear out the motors quicker.

Kind of got used to the habit of putting it up after a drive in my Jaguar E type since the rear window was soft pastic and would crease. (And it was a pain too, since it was a manual top.)

Thanks for your comments and on the battery removal too. Btw, is it a sealed battery or can water water be added? I keep it on trickle charge all winter (BMW's recomended charger) which does say to check the battery levels periodically. Any thoughts?
If you kept the trickle charge all winter, you'll have zero problems. I left mine hooked up for 2 cold months and it was near death - had to zap it with heavy duty BMW charger to get it back to life.

Its likely your battery is an AGM (gel cell) in which case no water can be added. If its big, heavy and black its AGM.
Appreciate 0