ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

08-13-2012, 02:38 PM   #23
RobMCoupe
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

These are Stromung. Slight drone around 2k when in wrong gear under load. Some complain it is loud. I like to hear exhaust note cause. It really sounds good during accel. Freeway cruising is about 20% louder than stock. You'll know it's there when you tap on the gas. Exhaust is always louder in coupe than roady.

I see if I have time to make an interior sound clip this week.

I had BMS exhaust prior to Stromung. The drone was unbearable.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 02:59 PM   #24
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

RobMCoupe - From looking around on this forum I think you also have headers or an intake? Headers also change the sound I believe?
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 03:11 PM   #25
RobMCoupe
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post
RobMCoupe - From looking around on this forum I think you also have headers or an intake? Headers also change the sound I believe?
I have stock intake with BMC drop in filter. Spending $400 + for an intake was not worth it. All research said stok intake is already CAI.

Headers makes the exhaust a bit louder. I really noticed the change after adding RE X-Pipe. There is exhaust fest thread here. The two loudest car have Euro Headers and X-Pipe.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 05:03 PM   #26
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMCoupe View Post
I have stock intake with BMC drop in filter. Spending $400 + for an intake was not worth it. All research said stok intake is already CAI.

Headers makes the exhaust a bit louder. I really noticed the change after adding RE X-Pipe. There is exhaust fest thread here. The two loudest car have Euro Headers and X-Pipe.
You have headers and the X-pipe? I can't tell about the headers from your response.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 05:58 PM   #27
RobMCoupe
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post
You have headers and the X-pipe? I can't tell about the headers from your response.
I have Euro headers, Euro Section 1, RE X-Pipe, Stromung. Stock intake with BMC drop in filter.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 06:18 PM   #28
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:

Yes, headers add a bit.

My experience is the same as Rob's: I really noticed a change as well after adding the RE X-Pipe. Pops, burbles, more bass, and louder after install on my wife's car with the Eisenmann Sport. That's why my long-term plan is to add the Euro Headers + X Pipe to my Remus Sport. Should be about "perfect" after that.

BTW, Rob's exhaust sounds really good in person. IIRC, the Stromung had a nice low end ("bass") sound compared to others. Stromung as an axle-back only might be a good option to meet the OP's requirements. You could always go with the Stromung or Remus, and add an X-Pipe later if you want a bit "more".
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 07:23 PM   #29
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I have Euro headers, Euro Section 1, RE X-Pipe, Stromung. Stock intake with BMC drop in filter.
Thanks, not trying to be picky but I hate to listen to sound clips and think I am buying the same system only to find out there are other things I wasn't aware of. Think your sounds good and may piece it together over time depending on what I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
Yes, headers add a bit.

My experience is the same as Rob's: I really noticed a change as well after adding the RE X-Pipe. Pops, burbles, more bass, and louder after install on my wife's car with the Eisenmann Sport. That's why my long-term plan is to add the Euro Headers + X Pipe to my Remus Sport. Should be about "perfect" after that.

BTW, Rob's exhaust sounds really good in person. IIRC, the Stromung had a nice low end ("bass") sound compared to others. Stromung as an axle-back only might be a good option to meet the OP's requirements. You could always go with the Stromung or Remus, and add an X-Pipe later if you want a bit "more".
This sounds like a good plan, seems better than jumping into a loud system with nothing to do with it but sell it if I don't like it.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2012, 10:41 AM   #30
pal
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
add the Euro Headers + X Pipe to my Remus Sport. Should be about "perfect" after that.
I have the Euro headers with the Remus cans and stock X-pipe. The added sound is excellent and not at all intrusive on the hwy, on long trips etc. That being said, the x-pipe may improve the tone or push the noise just over the edge and introduce some drone- I am not sure until I or someone (you ) try the addition.

My recommendation is to go with the headers first and see if you are happy with the sound - it does make a difference and adds power to boot (upto 17whp).
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2012, 11:32 AM   #31
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Z4MR

there are some universal corsa mufflers that an exhaust shop could fit, and they're all zero drone, because of the chambers inside them. Dynomax also makes a dronefree muffler, but I haven't seen or heard one yet
      08-19-2012, 01:58 PM   #32
johanness
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4MC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pal
Quote:
add the Euro Headers + X Pipe to my Remus Sport. Should be about "perfect" after that.
I have the Euro headers with the Remus cans and stock X-pipe. The added sound is excellent and not at all intrusive on the hwy, on long trips etc. That being said, the x-pipe may improve the tone or push the noise just over the edge and introduce some drone- I am not sure until I or someone (you ) try the addition.

My recommendation is to go with the headers first and see if you are happy with the sound - it does make a difference and adds power to boot (upto 17whp).
Remus cans, SS X-pipe, Euro headers. Sounds great hot. Very small amount of drone, but I believe the X-pipe just pushes the note to the sweet spot (which I like). YVMV
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2012, 04:38 PM   #33
GammaZeta
Captain
Rep
Drives: 1

Ok, what about Remus v. Stromung? Which one is the deeper of the two?
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2012, 05:16 PM   #34
dubsesd
#dubspec
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 X5/ 2016 F80 M3 INDVL

my stromung is pretty deep. im now considering going rpi or adding xpipe and headers in the spring. i really dont want to add raspyness to my exhaust by adding an xpipe.
MPE / M Performance & Carbon package / KW v3 / 20" HRE R101LW / 20" HRE 527s / Michelin PSS / 20% tint / 3d Design / Streckenn splitters / OEM GTS hood / EAS Carbon seatbacks / Carbon RKP sideskirt / Bootmod3 / M Performance Tri color alcantara / AWE S Flow
instagram: @ dubsesd
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2012, 05:18 PM   #35
GammaZeta
Captain
Rep
Drives: 1

No rasp with the Stromung dubsesd?
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2012, 05:26 PM   #36
dubsesd
#dubspec
No_Country
Rep

no. the exhasust sounds awesome until i cruise with boxters, and m5s with exhausts. then i cant hear it haha. overall the stromung has a great sound with no rasp or drone. deep tone under load and low rpms. its just a bit to quiet IMO
MPE / M Performance & Carbon package / KW v3 / 20" HRE R101LW / 20" HRE 527s / Michelin PSS / 20% tint / 3d Design / Streckenn splitters / OEM GTS hood / EAS Carbon seatbacks / Carbon RKP sideskirt / Bootmod3 / M Performance Tri color alcantara / AWE S Flow
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2012, 08:12 PM   #37
johanness
Banned
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubsesd
my stromung is pretty deep. im now considering going rpi or adding xpipe and headers in the spring. i really dont want to add raspyness to my exhaust by adding an xpipe.
X-pipe doesn't add any noticeable rasp at all.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2012, 08:34 PM   #38
dubsesd
#dubspec
No_Country
Rep

Would you say it adds a deeper tone, louder volume, and/or more burbling?
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2012, 08:41 PM   #39
johanness
Banned
Rep

Garage List
X-pipe adds 5% volume, and that's about it. Maybe a bit deeper, but negligible. You purchase it for its flow characteristics more than for sound.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2012, 08:48 PM   #40
dubsesd
#dubspec
No_Country
Rep

I'm aiming more for sound. The headers/csl intake and tune are what I'm looking forward to in the spring
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2012, 09:07 PM   #41
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Very different experience with the RE X-Pipe here. Way more than 5% increase in sound. Deeper tone, more pops/burbles, and more volume.

Just like the cans themselves, I think there may be differences in X-Pipes brand to brand.

johanness has the SS X-Pipe. SeanK has the SS X-Pipe as well, and we were were talking about X-Pipes awhile back and he said he didn't really notice anything when he added his to his SS Powerloops. (May help with flow, but doesn't change note at all.)

Small number of data points, but there seems to be a difference. The RE turned the Eisenmann Sport into a different beast. Still no drone, but it's got those nice (to me) notes and a bit more bark. I don't notice any rasp, but you might want to check the Full Spreadsheet and Comments in the first post here, and listen as well. That will give other POVs from other ears regarding the rasp dimension.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 12:59 PM   #42
griffer
Rep
Drives: 2008 z4M Coupe Sapphire Black

I have the Diablo with black ceramics tips.

I absolutely love the exhaust sound.

Yes, there is a drone on the highway at speed (90mph), but it is very quiet cruising with light throttle, but it really picks up with very little throttle.

I think the Coupe body style really traps and echoes the noise.

I was considering dynamating the trunk space, but I do no want to get rid of them.

I just tracked my M this weekend, and everyone in the paddock knew when I was out, which was a mixed blessing as I did not do well, and my missed shifts and missed blips were OBVIOUS.
Appreciate 0