ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Navigation, Audio, Bluetooth, Stereo, Electronics Talk
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-15-2015, 08:48 AM   #1
SwissArmy
Why so serious?
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4; BMW X5; BMW 733

UPDATED! WORKING!! - Xenon/HID and Fog light on Passenger side not working! HELP!

UPDATE!!

Passenger HID now works...magically. Went to the mechanic to show off the problem, but...it...started working. It's been out since June of last year and it just magically works again. I still need to find out how and why.

The driver side fog light issue was due to a short in the wire. It's all sorted out now and works

__________________________________________________ __________

The HID on the passenger side does not work!

I've tried the following:
- Replaced the bulb
- Swapped the Ignitor
- Swapped the ballast
- Checked the headlight fuses in the fusebox (behind the glove box)

What could it be?! Is there a Passenger Headlight relay or something that I'm missing?

The Halogen High Beams work on both sides. [S]The Fog lights work on both sides.[/S] Now passenger fog light does not work! It's just the HID on the passenger side that does not work.

Urgent help needed. I cannot drive at night due to this

Last edited by SwissArmy; 03-22-2015 at 05:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2015, 12:00 PM   #2
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
I don't have an answer for you, but you could look at the schematics at bmw-planet dot com to see what's is in the lighting circuit. If I had to guess, I'd say it's the light control module (LSZ) $$$.
Appreciate 1
      03-15-2015, 12:21 PM   #3
dubsesd
#dubspec
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 X5/ 2016 F80 M3 INDVL

Drop it at the dealer and pay for diagnostics. They will tell you 2hstd wrong and you can go about fixing it yourself. You have already tried swapping everything from side to side with no luck.
MPE / M Performance & Carbon package / KW v3 / 20" HRE R101LW / 20" HRE 527s / Michelin PSS / 20% tint / 3d Design / Streckenn splitters / OEM GTS hood / EAS Carbon seatbacks / Carbon RKP sideskirt / Bootmod3 / M Performance Tri color alcantara / AWE S Flow
instagram: @ dubsesd
Appreciate 1
      03-15-2015, 12:27 PM   #4
SwissArmy
Why so serious?
Canada
Rep

When I took out the ballast on the passenger side (the non-working side). I see this:

The driver side (working side) is clean. I swapped this ballast with a new ballast I got off ebay, and it still does not work. Maybe it's something to do with the headlight housing? The wiring to the housing?

I do have condensation on both sides. Maybe it's just a matter of removing the headlights and letting them dry, then re-sealing them properly?
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2015, 01:06 PM   #5
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

There's a controller somewhere along the line prior to the ballast. IIRC mine went bad at one point, the dealer (under warranty) did all you've already done, then concluded it was the controller. Sorry I do not remember more--it was several years ago and under warranty so there was no diy'ing involved. Realoem .com might give you some clues on the other components in the chain of items/electronics for headlights.
Appreciate 1
      03-15-2015, 01:20 PM   #6
SwissArmy
Why so serious?
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
There's a controller somewhere along the line prior to the ballast. IIRC mine went bad at one point, the dealer (under warranty) did all you've already done, then concluded it was the controller. Sorry I do not remember more--it was several years ago and under warranty so there was no diy'ing involved. Realoem .com might give you some clues on the other components in the chain of items/electronics for headlights.
Hey Finnegan,

Did the problem occur for just one headlight or to both? I don't understand how a malfunctioning light control module can affect just one headlight, and JUST the HID.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2015, 03:04 PM   #7
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissArmy View Post
I don't understand how a malfunctioning light control module can affect just one headlight, and JUST the HID.
The LSZ has allot of electronics inside it and has many outputs that go to all the different lights. One circuit can die which would only effect, say some like the right low beam.

Now that I see your ballast, I think the problem may be the connection where the ballast plugs into the headlight. Check the connector where the power comes into the back of the headlight to make sure it has voltage for the low beam circuit. If it does, that will eliminate everything up to the headlight.
Appreciate 1
      03-15-2015, 04:27 PM   #8
SwissArmy
Why so serious?
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pungo View Post
The LSZ has allot of electronics inside it and has many outputs that go to all the different lights. One circuit can die which would only effect, say some like the right low beam.

Now that I see your ballast, I think the problem may be the connection where the ballast plugs into the headlight. Check the connector where the power comes into the back of the headlight to make sure it has voltage for the low beam circuit. If it does, that will eliminate everything up to the headlight.
Thanks pungo. I'm not much of an electrician, and wouldn't know how to check it. But, I will take it to my local indy mechanic on Tuesday to check it out. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 02:32 AM   #9
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissArmy
Quote:
Hey Finnegan,

Did the problem occur for just one headlight or to both? I don't understand how a malfunctioning light control module can affect just one headlight, and JUST the HID.
Looks like the "ballast" is the controller module. I did a bit of digging.

Confirm you swapped in the working side module/ballast to the non-working side. (That you didn't just try the e-bay module.).

The other possibility is a short in the wiring. Have you checked the continuity?
Appreciate 1
      03-16-2015, 06:29 AM   #10
SwissArmy
Why so serious?
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Looks like the "ballast" is the controller module. I did a bit of digging.

Confirm you swapped in the working side module/ballast to the non-working side. (That you didn't just try the e-bay module.).

The other possibility is a short in the wiring. Have you checked the continuity?
Yes. I swapped the working ballast with the non working one. Nada.
Put in the working eBay one (tested on driver side) into the passenger side. Nada.

Haven't checked the continuity yet because I'm not sure how to lol. I'm not much of an electrician. I will be taking it into my indy mechanic tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 12:25 PM   #11
nate96
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: TI Silver 06 Z4 Coupe

Take it to the dealer or indy shop to get diagnosed. I have the issue where the Bi-Xenon will not stay on high beams and it usually only affects the passenger side. The drivers shutter will open but the passenger does not then it will keep both closed. It is the LCM. The LCM outputs to each side of the car separately. If you do a search you can find the pin out of the LCM and see if there is power coming out of the pin to the light. It is a PITA to do though.
      03-16-2015, 05:51 PM   #12
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
It should be pretty easy to diagnose if the problem is with the headlight or the wiring up to the headlight since one side is working. Just go to the working side, pull the wiring plug from the back of the headlight off. Turn on the headlight switch, connect the negative lead of a voltmeter to ground, take the positive lead of the voltmeter to a pin 1 on the wiring connector, record the voltage (0V or 12v), do this for every pin on the connector. Now do the same to the bad side. If you get the same results for each side, then the wiring up to the headlight is good and the problem is at the headlight. If the results are different, then it's the car wiring circuit and or LCM. If you can read a schematic you would know exactly what pin on the headlight wiring plug to measure for voltage. Or take to a pro and have them do it.
Appreciate 1
      03-16-2015, 06:51 PM   #13
SwissArmy
Why so serious?
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pungo View Post
It should be pretty easy to diagnose if the problem is with the headlight or the wiring up to the headlight since one side is working. Just go to the working side, pull the wiring plug from the back of the headlight off. Turn on the headlight switch, connect the negative lead of a voltmeter to ground, take the positive lead of the voltmeter to a pin 1 on the wiring connector, record the voltage (0V or 12v), do this for every pin on the connector. Now do the same to the bad side. If you get the same results for each side, then the wiring up to the headlight is good and the problem is at the headlight. If the results are different, then it's the car wiring circuit and or LCM. If you can read a schematic you would know exactly what pin on the headlight wiring plug to measure for voltage. Or take to a pro and have them do it.
Thanks!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 08:12 AM   #14
SwissArmy
Why so serious?
Canada
Rep

Now the passenger fog light stopped working! Tried 4 different bulbs! SIGH!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2015, 08:49 PM   #15
SwissArmy
Why so serious?
Canada
Rep

updated OP
Appreciate 0