ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

02-21-2009, 05:40 PM   #1
reRESERVEDFX
(oO (||||) (||||) Oo)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 BMW Z4 3.0i 03 BMW M5 DINAN

Just killed my Z4 :(

Lots of snow here in Chicago, car started running wild to the left at 10mph right at the curb. Tried correcting it but it wouldn't work so I just decided to let it fly straight at the curb. Curb rash on the rim and front bumper just shot out of the pins on the left side I'm so fucking pissed :/ Took my winter tires off because it was sunny and didn't put them back on for today.

Now, quick question. The curb was about 10cm high. When I let the car fall at it under an angle but wheels were straight at time of an impact do u think I could've messed up the suspension? It seems as though left wheel is a bit turned when right one is straight?

How much would a new Z4 rim go for. I think it's called the ellipsoid.
      02-21-2009, 05:43 PM   #2
Rick Hunter
Skull Squadron Leader
Rep
Drives: '07 M Coupé & '16 435xi GCoupé

Could be a bent control arm. Depending on the condition of the rim, you might be able to get it refurbed.

Any pics for us to share in your pain?

GL with the repair. At least you weren't hurt.
      02-21-2009, 06:06 PM   #3
blklacker
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i

Pics???

-135i BSM, CRBL ,custom front lip/Indianapolis red fade, blacked out tail lights/corner headlights, golf tee, BMS Air intake, SSTT, CF spoiler,Powdered coated OEM rims gunmetal high gloss,custom Rear diffuser Black/Indianapolis red fade
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2009, 06:49 PM   #4
reRESERVEDFX
(oO (||||) (||||) Oo)
United_States
Rep

Yeah I will get out and take them now. I'm quite happy though. Since the car just bounced off the curb the whole bumper is OK! Just scratches on the underbody where it usually touches everything. Left side (hitting side) shot out of the connecting pins. The rim however needs to just be replaced

Here the pics.

http://img413.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc3302.jpg

http://img144.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc3305.jpg
http://img16.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc3306.jpg

I really thought I'm gonna go through the life of this car spotless just like my M5. But here I have the car for not even 2 months and already ripped the whole fucking front out :'(
      02-21-2009, 06:54 PM   #5
caseysc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i Conv.

Garage List
2005 Z4 2.5i  [8.00]
My mind is spinning after reading your post. What keeps coming to mind is...I don't know...zipperhead?
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2009, 07:46 PM   #6
SlikM
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 BSM/Blk M Coupe

just get the wheel refurbished, in the picture doesnt look like you need to fork out for a new wheels
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2009, 08:46 PM   #7
reRESERVEDFX
(oO (||||) (||||) Oo)
United_States
Rep

When I get the wheel refurbished, will it look almost like the new one or am I gonna be able to see the touch up? Also, I lifted car up to look at the control arm and it seems intact. I will probably replaced it anyways just in case since the part is like 100 bucks or so.

The bumper survived not only because it snapped off at the top but also because I had clear bra on. You can see where the clear bra ripped off protecting the paint from a hell of a scratch. I highly recommend that thing!!!
      02-21-2009, 09:26 PM   #8
Burt Reynolds
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

sorry to here. Last winter I had a AWD car and thought I could get buy with summer tires...same thing happened to me. It was a nice reminder that snow tires are more about stopping and turning than going. I had to replace my wheel but it was far worse than yours.

I believe you can get your wheel touched up to your satisfaction. Here are a couple links in the chicago area.

http://www.wheelsamerica.com/index.php?page=chicago
http://www.fixrim.com/

I looked this up a while back b/c I have a couple very tiny nicks on my Volks that I want to get touched up this spring.

Good luck.
2007 M Coupe w/NAV/Premium/Extended Leather, Clearbra, DICE, 4.10 BMW Motorsport Polished LSD, Active Autowerke Gen IV Headers, Supersprint Race Exhaust and X-Pipe, ESS Tuned DME, KWV3 Coilovers, Volk RE30, OEM Strut Tower Brace, Short Antenna, JL AMP, JL 10W7, Valentine V1.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2009, 10:26 PM   #9
reRESERVEDFX
(oO (||||) (||||) Oo)
United_States
Rep

Yeah sorry to hear that bud! I will definitely try one of those shops and see how well they can fix it and send u PM about the quality.

I guess what hurts the most out of the whole incident is that I actually HURT one of my only babies and it was because I was a complete idiot driving without winters on. I will actually take it to the dealer so he can assess the damage and things that need to be fixed just to be safe. Then I will do all that stuff myself :P
      02-22-2009, 03:34 AM   #10
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep

Sux bro. I guess you won't take your winters off until late march next time. Good luck, hope your deductible isn't too high.

07 ///M Coupe (Premium Package) Black Saphire Ext. Imola Red Int.

Best Website EVER!
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2009, 09:57 AM   #11
reRESERVEDFX
(oO (||||) (||||) Oo)
United_States
Rep

OH NO! I'm not claiming this to the insurance since it would show up on carfax as an accident. Especially that the only thing that needs to be replaced is a rim. We checked the whole front suspension and nothing was damaged. Ran the alignment and everything seemed just fine.

The only thing I will have to fork out money for are a new rim and pins that hold wheel arch with the bumper because they got ripped out and now the arch doesn't sit flush with the bumper.
      02-22-2009, 11:30 AM   #12
Burt Reynolds
Captain
Rep

If you are going to replace one rim, you might look at some CSL replicas...might not be that much more than 1 factory rim. The fix a rim route will probably be 150.00 though.
2007 M Coupe w/NAV/Premium/Extended Leather, Clearbra, DICE, 4.10 BMW Motorsport Polished LSD, Active Autowerke Gen IV Headers, Supersprint Race Exhaust and X-Pipe, ESS Tuned DME, KWV3 Coilovers, Volk RE30, OEM Strut Tower Brace, Short Antenna, JL AMP, JL 10W7, Valentine V1.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2009, 03:06 PM   #13
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by reRESERVEDFX View Post
OH NO! I'm not claiming this to the insurance since it would show up on carfax as an accident. Especially that the only thing that needs to be replaced is a rim. We checked the whole front suspension and nothing was damaged. Ran the alignment and everything seemed just fine.

The only thing I will have to fork out money for are a new rim and pins that hold wheel arch with the bumper because they got ripped out and now the arch doesn't sit flush with the bumper.
Well if that's the case, you didn't really kill your Z4 now did you?

07 ///M Coupe (Premium Package) Black Saphire Ext. Imola Red Int.

Best Website EVER!
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2009, 05:37 PM   #14
reRESERVEDFX
(oO (||||) (||||) Oo)
United_States
Rep

Very funny :P for me a tiniest scratch on my baby carries a death penalty!
      02-22-2009, 05:58 PM   #15
MRulz
Car Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burt Reynolds View Post
sorry to here. Last winter I had a AWD car and thought I could get buy with summer tires...same thing happened to me. It was a nice reminder that snow tires are more about stopping and turning than going. I had to replace my wheel but it was far worse than yours.

I believe you can get your wheel touched up to your satisfaction. Here are a couple links in the chicago area.

http://www.wheelsamerica.com/index.php?page=chicago
http://www.fixrim.com/

I looked this up a while back b/c I have a couple very tiny nicks on my Volks that I want to get touched up this spring.

Good luck.
This is a good seuggestion. Sorry about what has happened. The good thing is alot of damage was under the car. There is nothing which money cannot fix on your car. I am glad that your okay.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2009, 07:22 PM   #16
Mikewarlover
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: white

doesn't look that bad in the pics. I would suggest you getting some new rims more money but thats what i would do its kidna like an excuse to mod. Anyhow fixing will be the cheapest solution.
      02-22-2009, 07:39 PM   #17
reRESERVEDFX
(oO (||||) (||||) Oo)
United_States
Rep

Guys when my brother put the car on the lift he saw something very strange. First off, the wheel spins in a figure 8 motion and u can hear it hitting the brake pad and then going away. That means I guess I killed the rim. But what's more strange are front shocks. He could literally lift the wheel up with spring and shock on!!!! Then when we put it down, we started bouncing it up and down and the suspension was jumping like an old Caddy :/ My brother said that I either killed the shocks at 20k miles or the previous person crashed the car and then fixed it themselves so it wouldn't show up on Car Fax... What do u guys think??
      02-23-2009, 08:44 AM   #18
sirmalloc
code monkey
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M Roadster Imola/Imola

Quote:
Originally Posted by reRESERVEDFX View Post
Guys when my brother put the car on the lift he saw something very strange. First off, the wheel spins in a figure 8 motion and u can hear it hitting the brake pad and then going away. That means I guess I killed the rim. But what's more strange are front shocks. He could literally lift the wheel up with spring and shock on!!!! Then when we put it down, we started bouncing it up and down and the suspension was jumping like an old Caddy :/ My brother said that I either killed the shocks at 20k miles or the previous person crashed the car and then fixed it themselves so it wouldn't show up on Car Fax... What do u guys think??
I feel your pain. I forgot I had turned my DSC off and took a corner too fast (thinking it was on), spun out, and hit a curb dead on with my rear passenger side rim. Didn't touch the paint, but destroyed the rim. At the time I noticed a very slight tilt-in of the wheel. When the shop got it on the lift, they found out I bent the output shaft, upper and lower wishbone, and shock absorber. $3200 later and it feels as good as new.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-23-2009, 09:40 AM   #19
reRESERVEDFX
(oO (||||) (||||) Oo)
United_States
Rep

HOLY MOLLY!!!! =O How fast were u going, 300?? I guess mine is like a scratch compared to yours!
      02-23-2009, 10:17 AM   #20
jlstyle
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Porsche Panamera

Garage List
2014 Audi S7  [0.00]
2015 BMW X5  [0.00]
Your bumper looks fine and no need to repair at all to my eyes. (but then my standard is relatively low on keeping the cars clean).
Also, your rims could be easily buffed out. Or you could even do it on your own if you want to save about $100 per rim or so.

And as far as your suspension parts, if you had hit the curb by the side of your wheel, it could've messed up the alignment or bent the control arm.
Just check it out at the good alignment shop and straighten it out first.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2009, 02:38 PM   #21
reRESERVEDFX
(oO (||||) (||||) Oo)
United_States
Rep

Well yeah the bumper is OK. I will just have to reapply the clear bra at the bottom and buff out the underbody so that it's smooth.

As for the suspension, they checked suspension and said everything is OK. All I need is an alignment.

As for the rim, I'm just gonna get a new set of CSLs

As for the wheel arch, I already ordered it for 80 bucks so the bumper will be completely flushed with the wheel arch just like on the right side. Had to order a new one because the thing didn't snap off, instead the pins ripped the hole and that's why it doesn't wanna hold on tight.

Thankfully no damage to the important bits!
      02-23-2009, 03:48 PM   #22
pbdm4k
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d

Hope all is well with your car and I'm glad you're okay.

But, why would you take off your winter tires just because it's sunny?

Performance summer tires are only good above 10*C, even then they're running at the limit of any grip they can offer.

It's not about whether or not there is snow on the ground, there is also an operating temperature involved.

If the road is cold, your tires won't grip very well whether there is snow or not.
The compound used for winter tires is vastly different from that of summer tires.

You shouldn't swap tires just because it's sunny. When its winter, leave the winter tires on the car and put the summer tires back on when it really IS summer.
'03 VW GTI, '99 Audi A4 1.8TQ, '00 VW Jetta 1.85T, '09 BMW 335i xDrive, '04 BMW Z4 3.0i, '01 Audi TT 1.8T, '04 Volvo S80 2.5T
Appreciate 0