ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!
View Poll Results: What would you do??
Buy it at the end of the lease 12 44.44%
Let it go 15 55.56%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

02-20-2009, 08:49 PM   #1
MRulz
Car Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW M Roadster

Arrow What would you do???

Guys need some help and advice. I am 8 months from being done with the lease of my Z4MR. It will end in Oct,2009. I am very confused whether to buy it or let it go at the end of the lease. It is fully loaded the only thing it does not have is the extended leather.

2006 Z4 MR paid 60K including everything to get on the road. The lease buy out at the end is approx 32K.

I currently have 31K miles on it and will probably have 40K by Oct.09. If you guys where in my shoes what would you do??
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2009, 09:15 PM   #2
Dieter
http://www.dkclassifieds.com
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black Sapphire Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRulz View Post
Guys need some help and advice. I am 8 months from being done with the lease of my Z4MR. It will end in Oct,2009. I am very confused whether to buy it or let it go at the end of the lease. It is fully loaded the only thing it does not have is the extended leather.

2006 Z4 MR paid 60K including everything to get on the road. The lease buy out at the end is approx 32K.

I currently have 31K miles on it and will probably have 40K by Oct.09. If you guys where in my shoes what would you do??
I would not keep it. To many miles. Try to find one after your lease is over, with lower miles. You will also not have any warranty left anymore or pretty close to it.

I got my after a lease return with only 10000 miles for $ 31K.
      02-21-2009, 02:31 AM   #3
epbrown
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M Coupe, Porsche Boxster S

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRulz View Post
If it were me, I'd work with the dealer on loweirng the buy-out price so I could keep it. Yes, you could find another car, but this one is yours - better the "devil you know" than some unknown car that looks good.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2009, 02:51 AM   #4
ATX750i
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Honda Civic Si

Garage List
2003 Z4 2.5i  [0.00]
Im going with epbrown on this one, You know the car and have known the car since day 1. You know every bit of serivcing that it has been thru and put every mile on it. I say keep it, but to each his or her own. See what kind of deal you can work out with the dealer and go from there. Good Luck!

09' 2.0 Polished Metal Metallic Honda Civic Si - Current
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2009, 04:44 AM   #5
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
Rep
Drives: 997S, MV Agusta F4, E46 M3

+1 ^^
      02-21-2009, 10:14 AM   #6
krnnerdboy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: v10 m6

from what I have been told you can offer somwhere around 25k probably less with those miles at the buyout and they will sell it for sure!

F80 m3, 997 gt3, 14 ram ctd, f15 x5, drz400sm

Gone:z4m, boss 302, c6 z06, m6,z3m
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2009, 11:34 AM   #7
SlikM
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 BSM/Blk M Coupe

i do think you could find one for cheaper with less miles but i do agree that you must love this particular car now and knowing everything that has been done with it since day one is a clear advantage.
I say drop that price and take it back home
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2009, 11:31 AM   #8
Buddy L
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 2003 Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by epbrown View Post
If it were me, I'd work with the dealer on loweirng the buy-out price so I could keep it. Yes, you could find another car, but this one is yours - better the "devil you know" than some unknown car that looks good.
Dittos!!!! You know the car. Nose to nose with the dealer, and you should do fine, especially in the current economic environment.

Check Six!
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2009, 12:42 PM   #9
ianbiz
Back in a BMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i Msport

keep it, and get an extended warranty.
      02-22-2009, 01:55 PM   #10
RCNet
Woof!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Ti Silver Z4 M Coupe

Definitely try to work with your dealer on a deal for your car at the end of your lease. I just turned in a 530xiT at the end of the lease and walked away, because I had already ordered a 535 wagon for European Delivery (still waiting on redelivery ). I've since noticed that the dealer and BMWNA have listed the car we turned in as a CPO for sale at $5k less than what my residual would have been. In the current market, there is plenty of room to negotiate. You may just have to turn it in at the end of the lease and then start over negotiating with your dealer on your car outside of the lease terms. The trick is to not bring up the subject early. You don't want to give them too much time to think about it. The worst case is that they won't "play ball" and you go with your other option of finding a good deal on a low mileage replacement.

Having said that, my father taught me to never buy a sports car 2nd hand. Even if it looks spotless, you have no idea how it was broken in and treated by the previous owner. It's a gamble, and I agree with epbrown, "it's better the devil you know"
      02-22-2009, 02:51 PM   #11
nmulax
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupé  [7.66]
Quote:
+1
      02-22-2009, 04:49 PM   #12
blender
Custom User Title
United_States
Rep
Drives: black

What he said.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2009, 05:21 PM   #13
MRulz
Car Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thats the thing which scares me.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2009, 05:25 PM   #14
MRulz
Car Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by krnnerdboy View Post
from what I have been told you can offer somwhere around 25k probably less with those miles at the buyout and they will sell it for sure!
I hope soo. That will make me very happy. I appreciate you input guys.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2009, 05:26 PM   #15
MRulz
Car Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianbiz View Post
keep it, and get an extended warranty.
Has anyone ever gotten extended warranty?? If yes what are the numbers???
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2009, 05:28 PM   #16
BZZZE
Evil Clown
Rep
Drives: 2007 MZ4 Roadster

Keep it and slap on FI for more fun!
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2009, 05:37 PM   #17
MRulz
Car Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BZZZE View Post
Keep it and slap on FI for more fun!
OOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooohhhhhhhhhh YEeeeeaaaaaahhhhhhhhh. That thought always excites me.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2009, 06:10 PM   #18
TopDown
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 G30 540i M Sport

Garage List
Ok calm down...here are what your options are going to be;
  1. When you are within five or six payments of lease end date you can start shopping around for another car - dealers will offer to pay off your lease to get you into a new car.
  2. When you are within 90 days of your lease end date you'll get a letter from the lease end manager where you leased it. One of your options will be to negotiate the purchase price below what's stated in your lease agreement. If you're willing to purchase a CPO warranty you'll get from 0.9 to 2.9% financing on your negotiated price.
  3. When you are within 60 days of your lease end date you will have the option of re-leasing for 12, 18, or 24 months. The monthly payments will be posted on the 'Owner' section of the BMW NA web site (after you are within 60 days of lease end date). This should give you time to relax.
  4. You can test drive an '06 Carrera S Cabriolet (like I did yesterday), and after you come to from the shock of the lease payment for a three year old Porsche with 15K miles on it, you'll get down on your knees and start hugging and kissing your Z4M - realizing what an amazing car you got for the money.

Mine
G30 540i M Sport
Hers F36 440i Gran Coupe
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2009, 06:15 PM   #19
MRulz
Car Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopDown View Post
Ok calm down...here are what your options are going to be;
  1. When you are within five or six payments of lease end date you can start shopping around for another car - dealers will offer to pay off your lease to get you into a new car.
  2. When you are within 90 days of your lease end date you'll get a letter from the lease end manager where you leased it. One of your options will be to negotiate the purchase price below what's stated in your lease agreement. If you're willing to purchase a CPO warranty you'll get from 0.9 to 2.9% financing on your negotiated price.
  3. When you are within 60 days of your lease end date you will have the option of re-leasing for 12, 18, or 24 months. The monthly payments will be posted on the 'Owner' section of the BMW NA web site (after you are within 60 days of lease end date). This should give you time to relax.
  4. You can test drive an '06 Carrera S Cabriolet (like I did yesterday), and after you come to from the shock of the lease payment for a three year old Porsche with 15K miles on it, you'll get down on your knees and start hugging and kissing your Z4M - realizing what an amazing car you got for the money.
Great Info Thanks!

I agree with you that it is an amazing car. One of the things which scares me it the expense after the warranty expires. There are a few Z4M out there selling at a good price with low mines but I didnot come across any which had a navi and blue tooth (Z4m's which were priced good).
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2009, 06:16 PM   #20
MRulz
Car Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

If I do decided to keep the car should I deal with BMW Financial directly and not with the dealers?? Or that cannot be done.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2009, 06:26 PM   #21
silversprint
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4M

They may sell you the car cheaper but they probably will not pre-own certify the car. You probably will also not have a service contract.

Service contract and extended warranties on the M cars are expensive. They quoted me something rediculous like $5K.

I went thru this with an E46 lease. The residual was $36K. They would sell me the car but no service contract. I really liked the car but I don't want a BMW with 40K miles and no service or warranty.

Instead I just paid $45K for a new M coupe and gave them the M3 back.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2009, 06:41 PM   #22
MRulz
Car Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversprint View Post
They may sell you the car cheaper but they probably will not pre-own certify the car. You probably will also not have a service contract.

Service contract and extended warranties on the M cars are expensive. They quoted me something rediculous like $5K.

I went thru this with an E46 lease. The residual was $36K. They would sell me the car but no service contract. I really liked the car but I don't want a BMW with 40K miles and no service or warranty.

Instead I just paid $45K for a new M coupe and gave them the M3 back.
Thats what I heard also. It costs like 5 to 6K.
Appreciate 0