ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

02-13-2009, 05:46 PM   #1
blender
Custom User Title
United_States
Rep
Drives: black

Plz Advise - Evaluating a used Z4M- what to check

Hello Folks,

I have the opportunity to buy a virtually new 2006 Z4M roadster with a mere 1,300 miles on it. It's basically still new.

I plan on having a trusted mechanic look at the car. Aside from the obvious signs of accident repair and fire/water damage, what would you recommend I specifically check for ?

also, I have concerns about chassis stiffness in a 'vert. I will be adding a strut brace with firewall braces as my first mod. Is there any under- body bracing system for the Z4?

Lastly, what other first mods would you recommend as highest ROI without voiding warranty?

Big thanks for your insights.

Regards
Rob
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2009, 06:36 PM   #2
jragan
Imola Lover
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Imola Red M Coupe

If you do a little bit of searching, this exact topic has been covered countless times

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcleme05 View Post
I plan on having a trusted mechanic look at the car. Aside from the obvious signs of accident repair and fire/water damage, what would you recommend I specifically check for ?
http://www.zpost.com/forums/showpost...78&postcount=7

Quote:
also, I have concerns about chassis stiffness in a 'vert. I will be adding a strut brace with firewall braces as my first mod. Is there any under- body bracing system for the Z4?
You haven't done your research. The Z4Ms are some of the stiffest cars around, especially since it was, first and foremost, designed to be a roadster...the coupe version was an afterthought which is the opposite of the way things usually go (coupe first, then later add a 'vert). If you look in the engine compartment, there is already strut bracing and it is of wide debate as to whether adding the cross-brace between the towers adds anything more than cosmetic value.

Quote:
Lastly, what other first mods would you recommend as highest ROI without voiding warranty?
  • While a dealer, technically, could use it as a reason to not cover a transmission/clutch issue, removing your CDV is free and will enhance the drivability of the car tremendously. (The only reason to replace it with the "modified" unit in the past was to keep appearances up that the system was stock and untainted...but the BMW techs have since been notified to look for a missing or "modified" CDV unit, so it's moot...just remove it.)
  • RPI Intake Scoop
  • Better tires
  • Aggressive alignment with the front camber pins pulled and the front suspension pushed to full negative camber possible
  • High Performance Drivers Education (HPDE) course. You will not be able to just get in this car and drive it no matter how good you think you are. You will have to change your driving style and lose all your bad habits to be able to properly conduct this animal. Go to a HPDE and learn learn learn!
      02-13-2009, 07:50 PM   #3
CalRick
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '15 M235 & '95 M3 tracktoy ;

Garage List
2016 X3 Xdrive28d  [0.00]
2015 BMW M235i  [0.00]
1995 BMW M3  [0.00]
Is that the one at CarMax? It looks like quite a deal, and I'd be after it too if I were in the market for a roadster.

jragan pretty much summed it up. The Z was built from the ground up as a roadster, so its stiffness is on a par with most closed cars, and the coupe is just overkill in that regard (but very useful overkill on the track!)

I second the motion about driving school (if you haven't already done so) - most any other mod you can do is just bling if you don't know how to use what you already have (though it's hard to beat the ROI on free for the CDV delete.) BMWCCA schools are quite good, however they are decidedly roadster unfriendly, so you need to go to one of the Porsche club events or one of the commercial schools or organizers.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2009, 10:11 PM   #4
jragan
Imola Lover
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalRick View Post
BMWCCA schools are quite good, however they are decidedly roadster unfriendly, so you need to go to one of the Porsche club events or one of the commercial schools or organizers.
I concur that the Porsche (PCA) hosted events are some of the best but my experience is that they tend to be lacking for first time drivers. The ones around here, anyway (Maverick PCA) are much better for more skilled drivers. I'd suggest going to a "normal" Bring-Your-Own-Car (BYOC) HPDE hosted by an organization who specializes in HPDEs as they give the best instruction for first-timers.
      02-14-2009, 12:27 AM   #5
blender
Custom User Title
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the sage advice. Good to hear my concerns about chassis stiffness are unfounded. I fully agree that tightening the nut behind the wheel is the best performance mod. I have indeed been to a handful of BMW CCA LA events at Autoclub speedway in Riverside. Their Car Contol Clinic is a great way to spend a day. I have some years experience driving a S2000. It's no M car, but it does provide some frame of reference.

Thanks again for the advice.

regards

rob
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2009, 12:29 AM   #6
blender
Custom User Title
United_States
Rep

yes it is the one at CarMax. I will see it in person tomorrow barring unforseen events.
thx for the reply.

regards
rob
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2009, 03:23 PM   #7
Gyrian
3.2 liter grin
Rep
Drives: 2008 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jragan View Post
[*]While a dealer, technically, could use it as a reason to not cover a transmission/clutch issue, removing your CDV is free and will enhance the drivability of the car tremendously. (The only reason to replace it with the "modified" unit in the past was to keep appearances up that the system was stock and untainted...but the BMW techs have since been notified to look for a missing or "modified" CDV unit, so it's moot...just remove it.)
I've been thinking about this.
Since keeping appearances is out the door, you might as well remove it and keep the part handy.
I presume re-installing wouldn't attract attention, all while restoring its 'functionality'.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2009, 07:59 PM   #8
jragan
Imola Lover
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrian View Post
I've been thinking about this.
Since keeping appearances is out the door, you might as well remove it and keep the part handy.
I presume re-installing wouldn't attract attention, all while restoring its 'functionality'.
I've heard (although i don't remember seeing it on mine) that BMW uses a paint marker accross the fitting and the CDV such that if the lines don't line up properly, they know things have been "messed with".
      02-15-2009, 09:45 PM   #9
Gyrian
3.2 liter grin
Rep
Drives: 2008 M Coupe

It's really too bad that such a simple mod could potentially result in warranty trouble.
I haven't heard of this happening to anyone so far, but there is that. On the flipside, never heard of any problems resulting from a removed / Zeckhausen CDV either. :/
Appreciate 0