ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

12-23-2016, 10:34 AM   #1
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Coupe vs Roadster. An M3 owner's dilemma

Hello all,

I know this has probably been debated over a million times, but let's keep this one fun. I currently own an E36 M3 and an E92 M3 and love them dearly, with no plans to ever sell them.

If you know me from the other subforums, you would have noticed that I've been all over the place in terms of what to add next to complete the M collection. I went from an M2 to an M3, to an M3 CP, to an E46 M3 convertible, and now I'm really debating going with a Z4M next summer/fall.

My question is, what would YOU add if you were in my shoes. Obviously, I know the final decision will be up to me, but I thought it would be cool what other members thought since this is such a tight knit community

Here's what I came up with so far

Z4M Roadster:
+Cheaper to buy than coupe
+Wind in hair, S54 in ear
-More maintenance with the top
-Not as rigid as Coupe

Z4M Coupe
+One of my favorite side profiles
+Value will seriously appreciate sooner than later
-More expensive to buy

Looking forward to chat with you guys. Happy Holidays to everyone

E36 with E92...M Power by ADM5 Photography, on Flickr
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2016, 10:46 AM   #2
Roadroach
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0si coupe w/stick

If I was in your shoes, I'd get the Z4M Coupe. Can't beat that profile. For wind in the hair, I'd sell the E36 M3 sedan and replace it with a convertible.

But that's just me....
2014 981 Cayman S manual
Appreciate 1
W///7435.50
      12-23-2016, 10:55 AM   #3
rockstar93
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E86 Z4MC; E92 M3

Garage List
It really depends on your needs or desires with the car. I honestly believe both the coupe and roadster will eventually be sought after - both were relatively low volume vehicles that embodied "///M" and perhaps were the last two true ///M cars.

Seeing that you considered the E46 M3 convertible, it seems the added rigidity of the Z4MC wouldn't be an important factor. The E46 M3 convertible's rigidity was an issue, whereas the Z4MR is only an 'con' relative to the Z4MC. The Z4MR was more structurally rigid than the E46 M3 Coupe. As significant as it seems between the coupe and roadster, both are incredibly stiff cars and the difference would likely only be noticed when pushed hard...I think.

It comes down to your own preference. Is the top-down, wind in your hair feeling worth the added maintenance and loss of the profile you like with the coupe? And vice-versa, is the look worth the added cost and loss of the top-down option?

Easiest way to avoid making that decision is to just get one of each, which is what I'd do If you only have space for one, I'd go Z4MC. I get the wind-in-my-hair feeling from a motorcycle, which is much more of a thrill.
E86 Z4M Coupe Interlagos Blue/Black
E92 M3 Coupe 6MT Interlagos Blue/Fox Red - Build Thread

Last edited by rockstar93; 12-23-2016 at 11:05 AM..
Appreciate 1
W///7435.50
      12-23-2016, 11:33 AM   #4
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadroach View Post
If I was in your shoes, I'd get the Z4M Coupe. Can't beat that profile. For wind in the hair, I'd sell the E36 M3 sedan and replace it with a convertible.

But that's just me....
I just love that E36 too much. I've done quite a bit of maintenance to it so it's a really well sorted car, not to mention it would be very difficult to find another Techno Violet E36. The prices on these are also going up, so I think even if I did want to sell it, a few years down the road would be more ideal.

The E36 verts are pretty cheap though

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockstar93 View Post
It really depends on your needs or desires with the car. I honestly believe both the coupe and roadster will eventually be sought after - both were relatively low volume vehicles that embodied "///M" and perhaps were the last two true ///M cars.

Seeing that you considered the E46 M3 convertible, it seems the added rigidity of the Z4MC wouldn't be an important factor. The E46 M3 convertible's rigidity was an issue, whereas the Z4MR is only an 'con' relative to the Z4MC. The Z4MR was more structurally rigid than the E46 M3 Coupe. As significant as it seems between the coupe and roadster, both are incredibly stiff cars and the difference would likely only be noticed when pushed hard...I think.

It comes down to your own preference. Is the top-down, wind in your hair feeling worth the added maintenance and loss of the profile you like with the coupe? And vice-versa, is the look worth the added cost and loss of the top-down option?

Easiest way to avoid making that decision is to just get one of each, which is what I'd do If you only have space for one, I'd go Z4MC. I get the wind-in-my-hair feeling from a motorcycle, which is much more of a thrill.
I forgot to mention in my original post that I live in South Carolina, so I'd get a lot more use out of the Roadster I think. It was close to 70F yesterday (21C) and I couldn't help but think this morning how awesome it would have been to have a Z4MR. I borrowed my friend's S2k and thoroughly enjoyed having the top down. And no motorcycles for me. I promised my mom years and years ago I'd never get one, and I'm going to respect that.

I'd love to have both, but maintaining 4 M cars would make me lose my sanity
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2016, 11:34 AM   #5
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

///M Roadster, simply no other choice for me. Don't worry about rigidity in the Roadster, it's an extremely rigid car and there is no sway in it. The Z4MC is nice of course, but it just doesn't grab my attention like the Z3MC did. I'd much rather have a Z3MC than a Z4MC, even though the Z4MC is a vastly superior car in every way but looks.

The Z4M Roadie is the best car I've ever owned (on my 2nd one now), and I plan on having it forever as long as costs don't become prohibitive. Nobody makes a car like this anymore, it's a very sad thing.
Appreciate 1
W///7435.50
      12-23-2016, 12:30 PM   #6
yousefnjr
salty cowboys fan
Rep
Drives: ‘06 Z4MR, ‘20 X7, ‘22 M4x

You've already got a couple coupes, and sounds like the weather is good where you live. Roadie would make a nice addition to the stable IMO. Top down driving is just too good

Get one with heated seats
      12-23-2016, 12:30 PM   #7
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
For the most part, coupe owners will say get the coupe, roadster owners will say to get the vert. Since the coupe has one of your favorite side profiles, just get it, don't worry about the higher cost, since as you said, the value will increase sooner than later.
Appreciate 2
W///7435.50
David701567.00
      12-23-2016, 01:10 PM   #8
rockstar93
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E86 Z4MC; E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pungo View Post
For the most part, coupe owners will say get the coupe, roadster owners will say to get the vert. Since the coupe has one of your favorite side profiles, just get it, don't worry about the higher cost, since as you said, the value will increase sooner than later.
I agree the added cost is negligible. If you plan to sell the car, there will always be a gap between the roadster and coupe and you should get that money back. If you don't plan on selling it, then the cost is worth it to be satisfied with you car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
I forgot to mention in my original post that I live in South Carolina, so I'd get a lot more use out of the Roadster I think. It was close to 70F yesterday (21C) and I couldn't help but think this morning how awesome it would have been to have a Z4MR. I borrowed my friend's S2k and thoroughly enjoyed having the top down. And no motorcycles for me. I promised my mom years and years ago I'd never get one, and I'm going to respect that.

I'd love to have both, but maintaining 4 M cars would make me lose my sanity
Sounds like the Roadster may be best suited for you. Unless you're looking to get serious tracking the car the Z4MR is more than adequate. Not to say the roadie can't hold its own on-track, but along with the benefits of the coupe, it's an added hassle to require a welded in roll cage to pass the broomstick test.

Given this would be your third ///M to maintain, the tiny bit more maintenance the convertible top requires shouldn't be an issue. Drain the water and apply a coating (Raggtopp or others) every once in a while. Z4MR takes less time to wax
E86 Z4M Coupe Interlagos Blue/Black
E92 M3 Coupe 6MT Interlagos Blue/Fox Red - Build Thread
Appreciate 1
W///7435.50
      12-23-2016, 01:21 PM   #9
RABAUKE
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993, 2014 MB GLK

Z4MC for my two cents. Limited production numbers and when you throw in the options the uniqueness is clearly there. They are holding their value and some may argue the value is going up now. They are a rare car to see, where as the roadster seems to blend in with traffic.....again, just my two cents.
Appreciate 1
W///7435.50
      12-23-2016, 01:25 PM   #10
angelr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 aw/ir m coupe, 2013 S4

One of each...? if not, coupe
Appreciate 1
W///7435.50
      12-23-2016, 01:25 PM   #11
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

There have been several Roady owners that end up selling and buying a coupe.
......can't think of any that went the other way.

Just sayin.....
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 2
W///7435.50
RABAUKE4653.00
      12-23-2016, 01:48 PM   #12
ZeD4Mr
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Skyer Z4MR

Will you be tracking your car? Will extreme exclusivity trump over fun factor? Is rising in value a big factor in your decision? Coups are cool and roadies are fun.

I had E36MC and E46MC prior. That tech violet you have is beautiful.

If I were you, I'd get a roadie. You don't have a convertible in your line up yet. Seems like you're missing S54 in your collection and you can get a hardtop for the roadster. Too me that the best of both world and I like the silloute of a hardster better.

If it's me, I'll get a coupe since I already have a roadster. This chassis is simply amazing. If I have enough space, I'd get a coupe tomorrow.

FB Group-- > fb.com/groups/z4group
Instagram --> @Skyermotorsport
FB Page-- > fb.com/Skyermotorsport
Appreciate 1
W///7435.50
      12-23-2016, 04:14 PM   #13
yousefnjr
salty cowboys fan
Rep
Drives: ‘06 Z4MR, ‘20 X7, ‘22 M4x

Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post

Just sayin.....
Yeah I can't recall any either. To be fair though, the first page of the classifieds section shows 7 Moupes and just 1 M roadie for sale. Maybe off-season for selling a vert, but point is people move on from both flavors of Z traitors lol
W///7435.50
      12-24-2016, 08:48 AM   #14
Redacre
6 Cylinders 3 Ways
Rep
Drives: M5, 911, Macan

Garage List
I really wanted a vert since I live in California and can take advantage of the top-down life. There's something very special about open-top motoring, but I totally respect that it isn't for everyone. Also, after owning several convertibles I've learned that you really want to buy a purpose-built convertible (like the Z4) and not a car that started life as a coupe and got the roof cut off. Plus, I have to disagree that the cost difference is negligible. I've seen roadsters with 40k miles go for <$20k, that's a lot of car for the money.
Appreciate 1
W///7435.50
      12-24-2016, 10:08 AM   #15
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yousefnjr View Post
You've already got a couple coupes, and sounds like the weather is good where you live. Roadie would make a nice addition to the stable IMO. Top down driving is just too good

Get one with heated seats
I've seen your sig a few times and have always admired your car. White/Red would be one of my top combos. And you're right, top down driving is such a different experience, whether cruising at the beach or attacking mountain roads!

Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post

Just sayin.....
I can definitely see that, but I also don't think there's too many people that are as reluctant to sell their cars as I am

If I had only 1 choice, I'd definitely go with the M Coupe. But because I already have 2 coupes, I think that's where it makes more sense to go with the Roadster to have variety. It was 70F again yesterday, really unusual for Dec weather here, but I would have loved to have a convertible!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeD4Mr View Post
Will you be tracking your car? Will extreme exclusivity trump over fun factor? Is rising in value a big factor in your decision? Coups are cool and roadies are fun.

I had E36MC and E46MC prior. That tech violet you have is beautiful.

If I were you, I'd get a roadie. You don't have a convertible in your line up yet. Seems like you're missing S54 in your collection and you can get a hardtop for the roadster. Too me that the best of both world and I like the silloute of a hardster better.

If it's me, I'll get a coupe since I already have a roadster. This chassis is simply amazing. If I have enough space, I'd get a coupe tomorrow.
Definitely no plans to track the car. These cars are just too rare to risk. To answer your question, I think fun factor would beat the rarity factor if I'm completely honest. I live where these cars used to be built, and I don't see either of them on the road, so the Roadster is rare "enough"

And thanks, the TV coupe is a head turner. I was lucky enough to find it 15 miles from my place!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redacre View Post
I really wanted a vert since I live in California and can take advantage of the top-down life. There's something very special about open-top motoring, but I totally respect that it isn't for everyone. Also, after owning several convertibles I've learned that you really want to buy a purpose-built convertible (like the Z4) and not a car that started life as a coupe and got the roof cut off. Plus, I have to disagree that the cost difference is negligible. I've seen roadsters with 40k miles go for <$20k, that's a lot of car for the money.
We don't get as great weather as you guys (winters do get cold, and summers get too humid). You are correct though, from my research the past couple of days, you could get a really nice Roadster for significantly less than a coupe. And it's definitely not negligible. Buying a Roadster would leave some extra $ for mods

Thanks to all that have replied! Very interesting.
Appreciate 2
yousefnjr6115.00
Redacre363.50
      12-24-2016, 01:22 PM   #16
racerbruce
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 X3 & 13 335is E93

Oh, the fun of being connected to the elements with the top down....it rains on occasion in the Great Pacific Northwest, but still find mega-days for top down experiences....the ultimate is driving to Mt Rainier in the summer. Listening to the Rogue Engineering Diablo exhaust top down is the best.
W///7435.50
      12-24-2016, 02:04 PM   #17
kaybat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 Z4MR, '14 Cayman S

Garage List
'06 Z4M  [0.00]
i would probably get a coupe if i could do it over again,I'm in Fl, so its sunny here ALL the time,plus hot as hell alot of that time.If i want to catch rays, i mow the lawn(lol)..That being said, i wouldn't sell my roady at this point.
      12-24-2016, 06:30 PM   #18
GP20
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4M, F80 M3, 991.2 GTS

I used to get bored with cars quickly. Between 2003 - 2009, in a span of 6 full years, I had:

- '00 Z3 roadster 2.3i
- '03 Z4 roadster 2.5i
- '04 Z4 roadster 3.0i
- '05 G35 coupe 6MT (huge mistake)
- '06 Z4M roadster

Then in mid 2009, I traded in my M roadster for an '08 Space Gray Z4M coupe. Best decision I ever made buying a car. 7.5 years and 100k miles later, I still get excited and it still feels special ever time I'm behind the wheel. I've just added an '16 Space Gray F80 M3, and I'll never sell the M coupe.

Last edited by GP20; 12-25-2016 at 03:34 AM..
Appreciate 2
W///7435.50
RABAUKE4653.00
      12-24-2016, 07:58 PM   #19
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

All points are mostly covered at this point, but on stiffness, either car is stiffer than just about anything on the road up through exotics.

I'm a coupe owner (in a family with 2 coupes) and given your needs (no track, street, and several mentions of warm weather) why not go with the Roadie? Budget would leave room for a full suspension refresh, some S54 work, or a top. Yes, the coupe will probably appreciate faster, but unless you're a collector looking to make some money down the road, the roadie seems like it would give you a different experience from your other cars while retaining a high level of performance. (That's not something you can say about the E36 E46 vert, body flex, or E93--massive weight.)
Appreciate 1
W///7435.50
      12-24-2016, 08:44 PM   #20
dc_wright
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z43.0si Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
All points are mostly covered at this point, but on stiffness, either car is stiffer than just about anything on the road up through exotics.
^This^
Someone else compiled this torsional stiffness comparison, but backs up what Finnegan's stating. The Z4R is stiffer than a lot of hardtop coupes and sedans including BMW E46s (w folding seats). The Z3 by comparison is a wet noodle.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Torsional Stiffness.pdf (262.1 KB, 467 views)
      12-24-2016, 10:57 PM   #21
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Quote:
If I had only 1 choice, I'd definitely go with the M Coupe. But because I already have 2 coupes, I think that's where it makes more sense to go with the Roadster to have variety. It was 70F again yesterday, really unusual for Dec weather here, but I would have loved to have a convertible!
Sounds like you already knew what you wanted...
Appreciate 1
W///7435.50
      12-25-2016, 02:01 PM   #22
mercedesc63
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 02 BMW Z3M Coupe S54 Slicktop

Quote:
Hello all,

I know this has probably been debated over a million times, but let's keep this one fun. I currently own an E36 M3 and an E92 M3 and love them dearly, with no plans to ever sell them.

If you know me from the other subforums, you would have noticed that I've been all over the place in terms of what to add next to complete the M collection. I went from an M2 to an M3, to an M3 CP, to an E46 M3 convertible, and now I'm really debating going with a Z4M next summer/fall.

My question is, what would YOU add if you were in my shoes. Obviously, I know the final decision will be up to me, but I thought it would be cool what other members thought since this is such a tight knit community

Here's what I came up with so far

Z4M Roadster:
+Cheaper to buy than coupe
+Wind in hair, S54 in ear
-More maintenance with the top
-Not as rigid as Coupe

Z4M Coupe
+One of my favorite side profiles
+Value will seriously appreciate sooner than later
-More expensive to buy

Looking forward to chat with you guys. Happy Holidays to everyone

E36 with E92...M Power by ADM5 Photography, on Flickr