ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

01-23-2017, 10:22 PM   #1
chrlopez
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 2007

Lights....Never noticed 3 months old 2007 Z4

2007 Z4

Headlights.....Their are two headlights on both sides...right? Does the inside one turn on or just around the circle? Also one of my lights is giving out a reddish hue to it....does it mean it's almost out?
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2017, 11:26 PM   #2
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Inner light is a dummy.
see below

Thanks to Ron. R.I.P.
Name:  frontlightingz42006-1.jpg
Views: 467
Size:  104.0 KB
Name:  frontlightingz42006-2.jpg
Views: 481
Size:  80.2 KB
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2017, 12:59 PM   #3
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

With all the posts on this over the years it is amazing to me how folks still come on here asking about it. A simple search would yield the answer(as well as the owners manual).
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2017, 02:34 PM   #4
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrlopez View Post
2007 Z4

Headlights.....Their are two headlights on both sides...right? Does the inside one turn on or just around the circle? Also one of my lights is giving out a reddish hue to it....does it mean it's almost out?
Welcome to the board and congrats on the car - you're gonna love it!

I'm not sure about the reddish hue - knock on wood but thus far I've had no issue with the headlights on my car. I wonder - could there perhaps be something on the headlamp causing this? Maybe a good cleaning, or use of one of the many headlight restoration kits out there (the Turtle Wax one is good in my experience) could help if that is the root cause.

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2017, 02:59 PM   #5
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

That's classic Xenon "pink-eye".
That's what they do when they "burn out".

Replacement bulbs is a whole 'nuther thread.
You'll get sticker shock from reliable sources like a dealer.
Beware of Amazon and eBay. Prices are much better, but you have at least a 50% chance of getting a counterfeit copy that's very poorly made and lasts about a month.
      01-24-2017, 03:37 PM   #6
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by StickMon View Post

Beware of Amazon and eBay. Prices are much better, but you have at least a 50% chance of getting a counterfeit copy that's very poorly made and lasts about a month.
That's a shitty prognosis... although I will say sit down if you ask the dealer to price it for you lol, it may have been my mind exaggerating over and over through the years but I am thinking it was over $1k per headlight to replace.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2017, 03:46 PM   #7
angelr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 aw/ir m coupe, 2013 S4

I've been lucky with the replacements I've used. They're the correct spectrum and have lasted 2 years and counting so far. I can see if I can dig up the ones I bought but they were fare cheaper than oem.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2017, 03:54 PM   #8
XMetal
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [10.00]
2018 Audi S3  [0.00]
2004 X5  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
Quote:

That's a shitty prognosis... although I will say sit down if you ask the dealer to price it for you lol, it may have been my mind exaggerating over and over through the years but I am thinking it was over $1k per headlight to replace.
The entire headlight units, most likely over $1.5K per side. The xenon bulbs shouldn't be more than $140 for the pair from a legitimate source- not OE obviously. OE would most likely be over $200 per bulb
      01-24-2017, 04:05 PM   #9
dc_wright
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z43.0si Roadster

Quote:

Correct that the pinkish hue means you have one fading. You get an indeterminate, but relatively short period of time before you get full failure of the bulb. My passenger side went from white to pink to dark over approximately 5 weeks. I replaced it with a Sylvania DS2 bought through Amazon last August. Light output and color hue match the driver side bulb going by "eyeball". I was going to replace the pair, but the driver side brightness/color is still good so I'm holding off until it gets "pink eye". Hopefully that will also give me some time stagger when the replacements eventually fail.
Note that when you search for the DS2 bulbs on Amazon you'll get about 3 dozen 3rd party sources. I purchased the bulb pair Amazon sourced directly from Sylvania and had no issues. The 3rd party sources are a coin toss as Stickmon indicated. Link for what I purchased is provided below:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited by dc_wright; 01-24-2017 at 04:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2017, 04:50 PM   #10
XMetal
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [10.00]
2018 Audi S3  [0.00]
2004 X5  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_wright View Post
Correct that the pinkish hue means you have one fading. You get an indeterminate, but relatively short period of time before you get full failure of the bulb. My passenger side went from white to pink to dark over approximately 5 weeks. I replaced it with a Sylvania DS2 bought through Amazon last August. Light output and color hue match the driver side bulb going by "eyeball". I was going to replace the pair, but the driver side brightness/color is still good so I'm holding off until it gets "pink eye". Hopefully that will also give me some time stagger when the replacements eventually fail.
Note that when you search for the DS2 bulbs on Amazon you'll get about 3 dozen 3rd party sources. I purchased the bulb pair Amazon sourced directly from Sylvania and had no issues. The 3rd party sources are a coin toss as Stickmon indicated. Link for what I purchased is provided below:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Can you point out where Amazon sourced it? I only see "Ships from and sold by Amazon.com" - this doesn't necessarily mean that it's sourced directly from Sylvania. Amazon appeared to be very vague on this.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2017, 05:52 PM   #11
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I recommend purchasing a pair from a reputable source and change both so they are the same color and intensity.

Many people replace them with cheap aftermarket bulbs. Most of these aftermarket bulbs don't have the UV protection to prevent damage to the reflector in the projector. The bulb may last for years, but the reflector damage dramatically effects the intensity of the light output. I've seen the damage on several lights when I had them apart to install dual LED Halos. The damage was only on headlights that had aftermarket bulbs.

There's tons more fake the real D2S bulbs.

There are plenty of web pages describing how to tell the difference between fake and authentic. Blurry text on the bulb base is a sure sign it's fake. Shop wisely and don't buy Chinese fakes.

http://www.osram.co.uk/osram_uk/pres...akes/index.jsp
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2017, 07:17 PM   #12
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep

I lucked out and bought a pair of Philips 85122CM 5000K bulbs of eBay 4-5 years ago to have as spares for $90 /pair.
I didn't know that fake bulbs was a thing until a couple months later.
They looked OK. Passed the laugh test. Philips was spelled with 1 L and not "Phillips".

Got pink eye about a month ago and put them in.
Compared them very closely with the stock bulbs and they were identical in every fine detail.

I want to replenish my spares stock.
What do you think the odds are on these:
Philips-D2S-5000K-85122CM
      01-24-2017, 07:51 PM   #13
XMetal
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [10.00]
2018 Audi S3  [0.00]
2004 X5  [8.50]
Quote:
I lucked out and bought a pair of Philips 85122CM 5000K bulbs of eBay 4-5 years ago to have as spares for $90 /pair.
I didn't know that fake bulbs was a thing until a couple months later.
They looked OK. Passed the laugh test. Philips was spelled with 1 L and not "Phillips".

Got pink eye about a month ago and put them in.
Compared them very closely with the stock bulbs and they were identical in every fine detail.

I want to replenish my spares stock.
Looked at the ebay link and got a giggle out of "Genuine Germany" - as opposed to what, "Dubious Germany"?

The problem with these ebay ads is that they can show you a picture of anything, so you'll never know until the item is in your hands for examination.

Last edited by XMetal; 01-24-2017 at 07:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2017, 08:16 PM   #14
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Really?
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2017, 02:02 PM   #15
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMetal View Post
Can you point out where Amazon sourced it? I only see "Ships from and sold by Amazon.com" - this doesn't necessarily mean that it's sourced directly from Sylvania. Amazon appeared to be very vague on this.
If you look at the link, just above the item description is says "Sylvania" in a blue hyperlink.... That is who the supplier is.
Appreciate 1
XMetal1131.00
      01-25-2017, 02:36 PM   #16
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Quote:
Philips was spelled with 1 L and not "Phillips".
I don't get it? The name brand is 1 L as well, were you expecting 2 since it is most likely a knockoff?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pungo View Post
Really?
Looks like a pretty legit knockoff if it is one (which we all know it most likely is)
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2017, 03:32 PM   #17
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
I don't get it? The name brand is 1 L as well, were you expecting 2 since it is most likely a knockoff?
I was reading one of the many threads across the interwebs about how to tell if you have fake bulbs.
One of them showed a pic of a bulb that said "Phillips".

Maybe made in a basement lab by a guy named Phillip.

I agree that eBay can show you a picture of anything and then ship you something completely different.
      01-29-2017, 08:34 AM   #18
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

I just replaced my xenons two weeks ago. I sourced OSRAM bulbs from Amazon. The package has a counterfeit foil sticker/number you can check on line to check if the bulbs are genuine. The foil sticker breaks upon opening the package.

Now about the install. I'm a very well experienced home mechanic and have been wrenching on BMWs for about 30 years. The bulb replacement on the Z4 headlights is not for a novice IMO. You need to remove the wheels to gain free access to the headlight access doors. The back cover of the headlight is a PIA to deal with if it is the first time you've worked with it. It helps if you have replaced bulbs in various cars beforehand where the bulb is held in place with spring clips. I've run Hella aftermarket globes on the various BMWs and other cars I've owned over the years, so the Z4 setup is quite similar once you get to the actual bulb. The igniter can be tricky also. It has plastic clips that lock it in place, which means you have to be careful with it.

My 2 cents.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2017, 11:14 AM   #19
XMetal
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [10.00]
2018 Audi S3  [0.00]
2004 X5  [8.50]
I don't quite understand the concept of counterfeit foil sticker/number check. If the counterfeiter can go through all the trouble to copy the bulbs and packagings, why can't they copy those numbers as well as bulb serial numbers and will still checked out as genuine? Amazon is starting to be like ebay - I just can't trust where they are sourcing their product anymore.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2017, 11:37 AM   #20
dc_wright
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z43.0si Roadster

Quote:
I don't quite understand the concept of counterfeit foil sticker/number check. If the counterfeiter can go through all the trouble to copy the bulbs and packagings, why can't they copy those numbers as well as bulb serial numbers and will still checked out as genuine? Amazon is starting to be like ebay - I just can't trust where they are sourcing their product anymore.
Typically the counterfeiters don't go to the trouble of creating the foil labels, and if they do they don't print them with incrementing numbers, they print a couple thousand labels with the same number which may or may not be legitimate. When the OEM sees multiple sources checking the same ID number they flag that as a potential counterfeit incident.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickdr View Post
If you look at the link, just above the item description is says "Sylvania" in a blue hyperlink.... That is who the supplier is.
Since Amazon starting offering storefront services, they HAVE become more eBay like and you really have to research the source and pay close attention to how the source is listed. If the source is shown as Amazon.com then Amazon is the buyer and guarantor of the product. It's not an absolute guarantee, but they do put in a significant effort to avoid CF parts, and they'll fully support replacement if it turns out there is a CF issue. If it states "fulfilled by Amazon", then a 3rd party is doing the buying and Amazon is stocking and doing order fulfillment for them. If it shows the vendor then Amazon is only handing the transaction. This link shows all the various possibilities.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...&condition=all

Last edited by dc_wright; 01-29-2017 at 11:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2017, 01:10 PM   #21
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
My guess is if the serial number they copy gets multiple online checks, from multiple IPs, then the checking software deems them as counterfeit? I'm just guessing here, but I don't think the manufacture would bother with the effort if it was easily circumvented.

I agree that just because you order on Amazon doesn't mean you won't receive counterfeit products. There are plenty of places on Amazon that will have products shipped directly to you from China. If it's really cheap, it's probably counterfeit.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2017, 07:51 PM   #22
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
... Now about the install. ...
If you've done front turn signals a few times, you may find the HIDs easier.
I was able to do it without taking the wheels off, but I've had a lot of practice with the "puzzle box" rear covers.
I found that getting the HID bulbs out and in was a lot easier than trying to remove and replace the turn signal stalks.