ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

11-03-2015, 10:01 AM   #1
Nate4641
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 M Roadster

Garage List
Scotch Guard on the soft top

Has anyone used Scotch Guard on their soft top? I have a tan top so it stains easily. I'm worried about it leaving some kind of streaks or something. I can't find ragg top or a bmw dealer close by to get those products but all the auto parts stores have scotch guard. I'm in an awkward position that I can't order anything online so that option is out. Does anyone have experience with this product?
      11-03-2015, 10:28 AM   #2
Twixboy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '04 Z4 3.0i 6spd

No experience with Scotch Guard, but can you get 303 Fabric Guard locally? That one's a pretty popular generic ragtop protectant that works okay. It does need to be applied pretty frequently in my experience, but it's really cheap.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2015, 11:04 AM   #3
TennesseeZ4
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4 3.0i; six speed manual

303 Fabric Guard

Might check with a sailing / boat supply business as they typically carry the 303. No experience with the SG.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2015, 12:38 PM   #4
deemo319
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate4641
Has anyone used Scotch Guard on their soft top? I have a tan top so it stains easily. I'm worried about it leaving some kind of streaks or something. I can't find ragg top or a bmw dealer close by to get those products but all the auto parts stores have scotch guard. I'm in an awkward position that I can't order anything online so that option is out. Does anyone have experience with this product?
I would inquire with Scotchguard which I believe is a 3M product, but if anyone knows better please correct me.

I have Raggtop and purchased from Bavarian Autosport. It works very well but I don't see how the others you mentioned wouldn't do the same thing.

It rains every day here in Orlando during hurricane season, so I wanted something to put on the soft top.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2015, 12:59 PM   #5
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

Only danger is if it dries hard and makes a mess of little crispy bits when you fold the top.
I use Raggtop.
      11-03-2015, 02:34 PM   #6
KLH
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 3.0si

Checking with 3M first sounds like a good idea.

Is Scotchgard formulated for outdoor applications?

**Edit: I went to the 3M Scotchgard website. I wasn't aware that 3M manufactures several varieties of Water Repellants / Protectants, including some formulated for outdoor use. I was curious, so I decided to make contact and ask which of their products was best suited for use on an automobile convertible top.

The following is the result of my online inquiry:

Initial Question/Comment: Which Scotchgard product is best to use on an automobile convertible top?

System: Welcome! Thank you for contacting 3M. You are important to us. A 3M Scotchgard Support Representative will be right with you.

System: Shelly C has joined this session!

Shelly C: Hello

Shelly C: One moment.

Shelly C: Unfortunately, we don't have a Scotchgard product that we would suggest for any convertible top. We have not tested Scotchgard on convertibles. We would suggest contacting the auto manufacturer for recommendations.

OK Thanks

Shelly C: Sure, anything else I can help you with?

No thank you.

Shelly C: Great, have a good evening and thank you for contacting 3M.

I thought their reply would've been "No Problem" since 3M manufactures so many automobile related chemicals etc. It appears if you decide to use it, you'll be doing so at your own risk. ;-)

Last edited by KLH; 11-03-2015 at 04:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2015, 10:30 AM   #7
TommyA
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0i

I am currently using Scotch Guard on my black top with no ill affects. Several of my friends also use it on their tops with no one having a complaint. I called a upholstery shop to see what they recommended and their response was to use either Scotch Gaurd or 303.
Appreciate 1