ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

10-24-2015, 04:39 PM   #1
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

Windshield washers work!

I've had my car for a few months, don't really drive it that much and only in good weather, yada yada. So I had never tried to use the windshield washers until last week. They didn't work!

Today I finally got a chance to do some diagnosis and learned that the washer motor was not working. I took it out, learned that doing so is a very quick way to drain the washer tank! Put it back in, found a plug, took it back out and plugged the tank, and took the little bugger inside to my workbench, where I proceeded to take it apart. What the heck, it wasn't working anyway.

I managed to pry off the top plastic cap that covers the electric motor. I wasn't glued down thankfully. Then I clamped the pump in a vise very gently and pulled on the motor itself, which also came loose and slid out. It was rusty looking, and the motor did not turn. Looked like water got in there and did not get out, and everything was frozen up.

So I went to work with a wire wheel, cleaning up the gunk , then clamped the motor shaft in the vise and tried turning the body of the motor. It moved, but it wasn't happy about it. So I cleaned some more, lubed the bearings, and kept working the motor back and forth. Eventually it moved fairly freely.

I applied some volts - it belched a bit in one direction then stopped. Tried reversing polarity - same thing. A bit more cleaning and hand turning, then put the volts to it again. Puff of smoke! Uh oh! But then the motor whirred to life! I put it all back together again, stuck it back in the car, and now I have windshield washers. w00t!

I also have a whole new level of respsect for BMW. A lot of cars would have a part that was welded or glued closed and would have to be cut apart. Instead I was able to breathe new life into the little bugger. Thanks BMW.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2015, 09:40 PM   #2
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Good job getting yours reworked, but if it fails again- the part is very cheap to replace. Mine started leaking a couple of years ago. Got one on EBay for $13...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-323-325i...JUOYHj&vxp=mtr
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2015, 05:03 AM   #3
wdb
dances with roads
Rep

Ok, so I earned roughly minimum wage fixing my old one.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2016, 08:58 AM   #4
wdb
dances with roads
Rep

Back from the dead, due to my repaired motor being, you guessed it, dead. Again. It looks like the rubber seal around the electric motor shaft allowed washer solvent past, again, and so the motor seized up, again.

This time I said 'enough!' and bought a new motor. I chose one that cost a bit more ($22) but got good reviews, rather than the really cheap one ($8) that got mixed reviews and a lot of complaints about having a weak, errr, stream. I picked up a new grommet/filter thingie while I was at it. Squirts like new again! Now I need to go get another gallon of solvent to replace what I lost in the R&R process. And figure out how to get the stupid windshield trim piece to lay flat! Grrrr.

CONTINENTAL VDO Windshield Washer Pump 2218690121

OES Genuine Washer Pump Grommet with Strainer for select BMW models

Last edited by wdb; 06-20-2016 at 09:12 AM..
Appreciate 1
      06-20-2016, 12:13 PM   #5
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

I remember reading this originally.
You did well to have your repair job last this long.
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2016, 02:42 PM   #6
wdb
dances with roads
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
I remember reading this originally.
You did well to have your repair job last this long.
Thanks but to be honest it's hard to say how long it lasted. I probably haven't reached for the washer control in, oh, 8 months? I suspect the repair lasted maybe a month, given the condition things were in when I took it apart the second time.

I continue to boggle at how crappy the rubber bits are on this car. It was a rubber seal that caused the motor failure. Hard, dry, and cracked, just like the other rubber bits I've been replacing.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2016, 02:32 AM   #7
jpwbrown
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 coupe

Help

How difficult to replace? tips, step by step instructions.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2016, 05:28 PM   #8
wdb
dances with roads
Rep

How difficult to replace the washer pump? Honestly it's so easy it's doesn't need a writeup. Disconnect the wire and the hose, pop the motor out, (watch all of your washer fluid drain out,) pop the new motor in, reconnect the hose and wire. It really is that easy. If you're doing the grommet that takes an additional, I dunno, 30 seconds or so to pop out/in.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2016, 06:39 PM   #9
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

I think there's one bolt that holds the tank in place.
If you take the bolt out you can move the tank a little to get more space to get your hands in there.