ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

01-25-2014, 07:38 PM   #1
bimmertt
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 335i

06 BMW Z4 3.0si Slow/Rough Start

The starter has been acting up lately. Not sure if it is the cold weather we are experiencing, the battery, or the starter. Usually the crank is very fast, but now there is a hesitation. Any ideas?

Appreciate 0
      01-25-2014, 10:00 PM   #2
jeebus87
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 atacama yellow Z4 35i

Sounds like mine. It always take a split second longer when it's really cold.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2014, 03:22 AM   #3
thelinux
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4 3si

I am pretty sure it's the battery going bad. How old is your battery?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2014, 07:25 AM   #4
gas-can
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 3.0i Roadster

Agree on the battery. Mine had the original battery and everything was perfect until the cold came in this time, then it was slow, just like yours. Replaced it and all is well again.

Also difficult to say with the video, but that screeching noise after the start may indicate that your starter bendix may need to be regreased. What may be happening is the original grease is gone/damaged and the bendix is slow to retract the gear from the flywheel after the start, so it hangs around a bit longer than necessary, causing the loud screech. Recommend regreasing that when you can or you may need to do a starter replacement before soon.

-gc
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 07:46 PM   #5
bimmertt
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Just to update this thread, it turned out to be the battery. It officially died this morning.

There were some differing opinions on what battery to use. I purchased a group 48/H6 as that is the size that I pulled out of the car. It fit perfectly.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2015, 08:54 PM   #6
bimmertt
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Bumping my old thread Weather is getting cooler and the annoying grinding noise is back when starting the car. You can hear it in the video above. I read that something in the starter needs to be lubricated. Is there a DIY for this anywhere?
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2015, 06:51 AM   #7
Daemonblitz
Commander
Rep
Drives: Z4MC/M5/640iX/M1000RR

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [9.50]
2006 Z4M Coupe  [8.77]
2010 BMW S1000RR  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmertt View Post
Bumping my old thread Weather is getting cooler and the annoying grinding noise is back when starting the car. You can hear it in the video above. I read that something in the starter needs to be lubricated. Is there a DIY for this anywhere?
I don't know how often you drive your car but if it sits for long periods of time and/or only driven short distances, it may just be the battery going low again. If that's the case I'd recommend a trickle charger.
K66 ///M1000RR - Competition
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2015, 01:48 PM   #8
Clearancediver
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2004 Z4

If you are removing starter to lubricate/repair starter solenoid... I would just replace the starter with a new one instead...

On my '04 3.0i two bolts secure starter. I removed the air ducting/sound generator plenums/ducting from that area to access and provide working space to remove/replace starter from engine compartment... Pretty straight forward after that to get my hands in to access the bolts and starter power wiring.
      10-22-2015, 08:57 AM   #9
Diesel_d66
Private
Rep
Drives: '07 MR

related question: sometimes (varies on time of day) my car wont start at all when i insert the key and quickly turn it to ignition, trying it again the second time always cranks the car and turns it on. Should I be turning to key to 'on', waiting, then turning to ignition?

I do hear a faint pumping sound when I turn the key to on in the mornings prior to the ignition. Any idea what that is?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2015, 09:05 AM   #10
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel_d66 View Post
related question: sometimes (varies on time of day) my car wont start at all when i insert the key and quickly turn it to ignition, trying it again the second time always cranks the car and turns it on. Should I be turning to key to 'on', waiting, then turning to ignition?

I do hear a faint pumping sound when I turn the key to on in the mornings prior to the ignition. Any idea what that is?
I believe the sound is the fuel pump. Ideally you should wait until this stops(go to the first click and wait for the sound to stop) then turn and start. You could also have an issue with your starter(a fairly common failure point in the Z4).
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2015, 08:15 PM   #11
gas-can
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 3.0i Roadster

My starter started screeching at startup when it was cold so I took it apart today.

Problem: The bell housing collects clutch dust from the clutch/flywheel. This is the same housing that the starter sits in. What happens in the long term is that the clutch dust gets attracted to the starter pinion gear/shaft. It starts to impede the free movement and the gear stays attached to the flywheel for too long. Result is a screech at startup.

In this case, I retract my earlier statement about regreasing - I highly recommend against regreasing this shaft/gear since it will just cause the clutch dust to cake on even stronger/faster. Instead, I recommend stripping the starter and solenoid housing and cleaning everything up.

Here are some pics to help you see what it looks like inside

Appreciate 0