ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-02-2016, 06:09 PM   #1
SwissArmy
Why so serious?
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4; BMW X5; BMW 733

DSC Brake Tire Pressure Trifecta even after replacing sensors

Hey guys,

I made a very very silly mistake. I removed the spacers on my front wheels and instead of putting the original bolts in, I put in the extended bolts!

This caused a LOT of damage including sheering off both ABS sensors and grinded down the teeth of the bearings.

After replacing the brake protection plates, both wheel bearings hubs, and both wheel sensors, I still have the lights. I've checked the codes and I get a code for the passenger speed sensor. So, I went back out and got ANOTHER new sensor for the passenger side and the code still remains.

Here is an example:

I've checked the speeds on all four wheels. The passenger wheel shows as 0kmh while the others increase.

Can you please tell me what I should do/check on?

Replaced: wheel bearings/hubs, replaced abs sensors, replaced the rotor protection plates.

The driver side speed sensor works, but the passenger side doesn't.

Help please.

The battery was NOT disconnected when I replaced the sensors, was this the cause? Would a battery disconnect fix this issue?

I tried clearing the code, it wouldn't clear and still shows as 0kmh on that one wheel when doing a speed test with my snap-on obd tool.

The speedometer works perfectly, and so does the cruise control. The lights still remain.

Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for reading. Here are some pics of the new vinyl wrap that people have been asking me about. I replace my vinyl wrap every year. Last year it was satin black, this year it is Emerald Pearl.

Last edited by SwissArmy; 06-02-2016 at 07:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2016, 08:33 PM   #2
Clearancediver
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2004 Z4

Have you checked to see if the wiring/connector weren't damaged either by the original damage or when replacing the sensor...
      06-02-2016, 08:52 PM   #3
SwissArmy
Why so serious?
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clearancediver View Post
Have you checked to see if the wiring/connector weren't damaged either by the original damage or when replacing the sensor...
Hi, the wiring looked good. The connectors remained in the little "box" untouched. The only part of the sensors that were damaged were the actual black part of the sensors that were sheered off. The blue connectors were untouched and out of the way.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2016, 05:28 AM   #4
SwissArmy
Why so serious?
Canada
Rep

bump?
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2016, 05:41 AM   #5
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Sorry to hear about your issue, I can see how that could happen.

When the sensor sheared off, it could have caused a short cct.
This could have taken out the module.

You need to run diagnostics to be sure.
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2016, 06:05 AM   #6
Cyclops
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 E91 328i & 07 E86 M

Garage List
Have you checked the fuses?
2007 #1432 ///M Coupe Silver Gray - KW V3 Coilovers - AFE Intake - Strong-Strut Brace - Status Grupee Headers - Super Sprint Race Exhaust & Xpipe - 19" Avant Garde M359 - Stoptech 380 6 pot BBK - EPIC Motorsports Tuning ////////////2009 328xi M-Tech E91 manual 6spd

- Instagram ->@e91kiter
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2016, 06:25 AM   #7
SwissArmy
Why so serious?
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
Sorry to hear about your issue, I can see how that could happen.

When the sensor sheared off, it could have caused a short cct.
This could have taken out the module.

You need to run diagnostics to be sure.
Hey inTgr8r! Thank you so much for your input. I see that there are two parts to the DSC unit. The pump (34516764087) and the speed sensor (34526764018). If I were to replace one, which would it be? Or should I replace both?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
Have you checked the fuses?
Good call! I have not. I will check them today.

Appreciate 0
      06-04-2016, 06:52 AM   #8
SwissArmy
Why so serious?
Canada
Rep

Update: I've checked the DSC/ABS fuses. All of them are good. I've disconnected (waited) and reconnected the battery.

The lights still remain. So, I suppose there is a fault with the module or speed sensor?

If there was a short, wouldn't it show faults on all four wheels? It is only showing a fault with the passenger front wheel. And when diagnosing the speed sensors, the passenger side wheel gets 0km/h. I've replaced this sensor twice. The first time around, it did detect the speed, but lights still remained pointing at the passenger front wheel. When I replaced it (thinking it was a faulty sensor), I still have a problem code with the passenger front wheel sensor BUT this time around, I get 0kmh from that wheel.

I will try putting back the other sensor and diagnose from there.

Maybe a faulty speed sensor? Steering angle sensor? Yaw sensor? Or the DSC unit as a whole?

How do I begin diagnosing?

Thanks everyone.

ALSO, I've been reading posts about how it could be related to the steering angle sensor? I believe I do have that code as well (clearable, but returns)
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2016, 07:13 AM   #9
Cyclops
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 E91 328i & 07 E86 M

Garage List
What are you using to scan and what is the actual fault code (number) you are getting?
2007 #1432 ///M Coupe Silver Gray - KW V3 Coilovers - AFE Intake - Strong-Strut Brace - Status Grupee Headers - Super Sprint Race Exhaust & Xpipe - 19" Avant Garde M359 - Stoptech 380 6 pot BBK - EPIC Motorsports Tuning ////////////2009 328xi M-Tech E91 manual 6spd

- Instagram ->@e91kiter
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2016, 08:11 AM   #10
SwissArmy
Why so serious?
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
What are you using to scan and what is the actual fault code (number) you are getting?
Snap-On OBD2 Scanner (I don't know the model off the top of my head)

As for the codes, I'd have to re-scan. But, I have two codes. One soft (erasable but returns) and one hard.

Soft code: Steering Angle Sensor
Hard code: Passenger front ABS Pulse generator/speed sensor

It looks like I might need a new SAS...
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2016, 08:26 AM   #11
pokeybritches
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: ESS/G-Power Z4M, VF Z4, 996tt

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4M  [10.00]
2006 BMW Z4M  [8.50]
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [9.00]
Are you sure the new sensor is good?

If you have a multimeter, you can test the sensor and compare its reading to an old sensor. Before you unhook anything, make sure the probes are long enough to reach the contact points (mine weren't).

Lastly, try unplugging it and plugging it back in, to ensure that it is properly seated and the connection is good.

VF Engineering Z4 3.0i, ESS Z4M, G-Power Z4M, 996 Turbo
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2016, 10:20 AM   #12
SwissArmy
Why so serious?
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokeybritches View Post
Are you sure the new sensor is good?

If you have a multimeter, you can test the sensor and compare its reading to an old sensor. Before you unhook anything, make sure the probes are long enough to reach the contact points (mine weren't).

Lastly, try unplugging it and plugging it back in, to ensure that it is properly seated and the connection is good.
Hey pokey!

I will test the sensor. But, what is the likelihood that the two sensors I bought for the passenger side are both bad. It sucks that BMW does not accept electrical parts for refund/exchange. They were about $140CAD/each from the dealership.

I will swap it back to the other sensor (the one where it DID detect speed on my snap-on scanner).

I still think it's the SAS since that code does come with it too. I will try doing an SAS reset.

Also, after installing the ABS sensors, is there any reset procedure other than driving it around for a bit (I've driven for about 2 months lol). Also, do I need to unplug the battery before installing the new sensors? I installed the driver and passenger side while the battery was still plugged in.

I'll order a new SAS just in case.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2016, 02:16 PM   #13
dc_wright
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z43.0si Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissArmy View Post
Hey pokey!

I will test the sensor. But, what is the likelihood that the two sensors I bought for the passenger side are both bad. It sucks that BMW does not accept electrical parts for refund/exchange. They were about $140CAD/each from the dealership.

I will swap it back to the other sensor (the one where it DID detect speed on my snap-on scanner).

I still think it's the SAS since that code does come with it too. I will try doing an SAS reset.

Also, after installing the ABS sensors, is there any reset procedure other than driving it around for a bit (I've driven for about 2 months lol). Also, do I need to unplug the battery before installing the new sensors? I installed the driver and passenger side while the battery was still plugged in.

I'll order a new SAS just in case.
I had similar codes pop up on my 3.0si last year. The steering angle sensor had some king of processing glitch and locked up, also locking up the bus that it shares with the instrument cluster. I had ABS codes, the turn signals were acting strangely, and controls on the radio only partially worked. Just reprogramming the SAS fixed it all. Looking back, one thing I didn't try but should have was disconnecting the battery for 30 minutes or so to let everything fully discharge, and then reconnecting so that all the processors did a cold boot. I didn't think to try that at the time......
You've got nothing to lose by trying this. Even if the reboot doesn't do it, you might see if you can find a shop to reload the software into the SAS. Cost $150 at the dealer. The steering angle sensor isn't too bad (about $200), but you've got to pull the steering column to replace it.
      06-04-2016, 03:02 PM   #14
SwissArmy
Why so serious?
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_wright View Post
I had similar codes pop up on my 3.0si last year. The steering angle sensor had some king of processing glitch and locked up, also locking up the bus that it shares with the instrument cluster. I had ABS codes, the turn signals were acting strangely, and controls on the radio only partially worked. Just reprogramming the SAS fixed it all. Looking back, one thing I didn't try but should have was disconnecting the battery for 30 minutes or so to let everything fully discharge, and then reconnecting so that all the processors did a cold boot. I didn't think to try that at the time......
You've got nothing to lose by trying this. Even if the reboot doesn't do it, you might see if you can find a shop to reload the software into the SAS. Cost $150 at the dealer. The steering angle sensor isn't too bad (about $200), but you've got to pull the steering column to replace it.
Hi dc_wright

Yeah, I will try disconnecting it for a longer period of time and finding a shop to program it. I heard there are two ways to replace the SAS. One is to remove the steering column, and another is just to get to the SAS without removing the column at all.

Source: http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1032388

Exact post: http://www.zpost.com/forums/showpost...34&postcount=2
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2016, 06:05 PM   #15
dc_wright
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z43.0si Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissArmy View Post
Hi dc_wright

Yeah, I will try disconnecting it for a longer period of time and finding a shop to program it. I heard there are two ways to replace the SAS. One is to remove the steering column, and another is just to get to the SAS without removing the column at all.

Source: http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1032388

Exact post: http://www.zpost.com/forums/showpost...34&postcount=2
That's an interesting approach in the 2nd link! Definitely worth trying if you need to replace the SAS.
      06-11-2016, 11:03 AM   #16
Clearancediver
First Lieutenant
Rep

Have you cleared the codes after experiencing the faults...
      06-11-2016, 05:19 PM   #17
Clearancediver
First Lieutenant
Rep

Meant to add that a hand held device likely isn't able to clear the code that hasn't cleared.