ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Suspension and Braking Chat
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-24-2015, 01:14 PM   #1
HEY32G
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 sdrive35is

'07 3.0si Grabby Brakes

I've had my Z4 for about 3 months. I got it from CarMax. The brakes on it work very well, but they are a bit "grabby". On most cars you can apply the brakes with differing degrees of force and control how much the car will roll. On mine it's more all on or all off. This only occurs in very slow parking situations, so it's not a huge deal. On the road under normal driving circumstances the brakes are great.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Last edited by HEY32G; 04-25-2016 at 10:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2015, 11:58 AM   #2
Asianoak
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 & "11 X3

Garage List
2011 M3  [0.00]
Not sure if this is your first BMW or not but stock brakes tend to have a lot of initial bite in comparison to other vehicles and other pads. I just got an 07 328xi as a daily driver that had stock pads on it and the first couple days kept snapping passengers necks because I was so used to the brakes in my old E46 and the Z. I got used to them fairly quickly though so if it's been three months and you still feel like an on off switch there could be something else going on.
      08-02-2015, 01:14 PM   #3
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEY32G
I've had my Z4 for about 3 months. I got it from CarMax. The brakes on it work very well, but they are extremely "grabby". On most cars you can apply the brakes with differing degrees of force and control how much the car will roll. On mine it's pretty much all on or all off. This only occurs in very slow parking situations. On the road under normal driving circumstances the brakes are great.

My thinking is they put some cheaper brake pads on the car. Would that be a correct guess?

Thanks.
Stock pads tend to be bit grabby. On the ///M the CSL brakes designed for a larger car exacerbate that. Should not be the case on the 3.0.

What's the intended use? Street, autox, track, mix?

Ceramic pads may be an option, less grabby, as might be Stoptech Street Performance.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2015, 04:15 PM   #4
HEY32G
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 sdrive35is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
Stock pads tend to be bit grabby. On the ///M the CSL brakes designed for a larger car exacerbate that. Should not be the case on the 3.0.

Ceramic pads may be an option, less grabby, as might be Stoptech Street Performance.
Just street use.

I have had other BMWs and don't remember anything like this. They work great, but like I said just grabby as hell.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2015, 06:52 PM   #5
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEY32G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post

Just street use.

I have had other BMWs and don't remember anything like this. They work great, but like I said just grabby as hell.
Folks seem to like the Akebono ceramics. Less grabby and no dust.

If you haven't change the brake fluid in a while now would be a good time to change it bleed the system as well.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2015, 06:19 PM   #6
E86Z
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 3.0si

^whs, if you enjoy clean inner wheels and more progressive braking go for akebono
Appreciate 0