ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

09-29-2011, 07:26 PM   #1
JeffchaPz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M

Would You Buy The Ebay Headers? And Why

Hello everyone,

I've been thinking about getting headers for my 07 z4m but I would like to know if they're worth it or not. Also, once they get installed - would I pass the Texas inspection?

Any thoughts or comments or suggestions would be appreciated.....

Thanx

Jeff.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 07:29 PM   #2
Jumbosock
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 M coupe

After spending 6+ hours force fitting them onto my last E46M3 I do not recommend them!! I ended up getting the euro headers and throwing the ebay ones in the trash.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 07:32 PM   #3
JeffchaPz
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for the info.... I figured that they are too good to be true.

With the new ones, do you feel a big difference in power? did you pass inspection yet?
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 10:02 PM   #4
mpower03
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 z4 M Coupe

i just want to make one thing clear, these are actually a better fit than on the e46 m3 because the is more room in the engine bay. I can't comment on if you will pass smog tests or not. I personally installed these on my car over 20,000 miles and i have had no problems with them.
The issues with them:
The flanges on the header are thick.
The flanges are not level. This is the problem with the ebay headers. The solution the would solve the problem is use e36 studs. They are inexpensive and can be purchased from getbmwparts.com or any dealership. While you are making the purchase i highly reccomend buying oem gaskets as the ones provided are crap. I also reccomend buying new copper nuts these are inexpensive also.
The only other problem is that the end of the header near the collector, is close to the passenger floor board, so sometimes at a certain rpm it will slightly touch and cause a slight rattling sound.

Those are the main problems with the headers.
I personally agree they are not of the best quality, but if something ever happened to my ebay headers i would replace them with ebay headers again. i dont see spending more than $1000.00 more on something that would save me a little bit on installation. If you research the topic on ebay headers and header installs in general on m3forum.net, you can get a good idea on what is involved. It is not a difficult installation by any means, the only thing required is basic hand tools, a way to lift the car off the ground whether you have a jack and jack stands or a car lift, and patience, it can be installed very simply. I did the install in 4 hours from start to finish, the only reason for that was because one the stud issue, and i had to man handle it lol and two the fact that i had to take them off after i installed them and reinstall them.
All in all it can be done in no time if you either know what your doing or research.

I say DO THEM!
      09-29-2011, 10:04 PM   #5
DataStream18
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2003 ESS TS1 Z4

Garage List
I have two sets for sale for cheaper then you will find on ebay!! Gaskets included!
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 11:22 PM   #6
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Z4MR

I wouldn't be afraid of buying a used set thats already been made to fit well
      09-30-2011, 06:19 AM   #7
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Me

Garage List
If you do a search, you will find a ton of posts that will answer most of the questions you have.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2011, 07:25 AM   #8
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

^WHS +1.
There are TONS of posts on headers.

One thing about ebay units is there is zero consistency.
There are a bunch of different ones out there all with varying degrees of QC.
Some are absolute rubbish & others are OK.

Personally, I'm going with used OE Euro headers.
You can still save a little cash & still have OE BMW quality.
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2011, 07:56 AM   #9
Mirko
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E86 Z4M, E90 328i, E84 X1

There is a group buy going on right now at m3 forums for Fabspeed headers from VAC. I'm just waiting on pricing but I think I will go that route.

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=381604

I emailed VAC a little while before the group buy and asked if they fit and they said the fit is the best out of the options they have. I've found a few posts on here and some have said that you might need to remove or bend the heat shield on cylinder 5 but that issue might have been addressed. I don't know for sure so I reached out again to VAC and will let you guys know what I hear.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2011, 09:53 AM   #10
Z4-VILLA
Banned
Afghanistan
Rep
Drives: Z4M Hardtop Roadster

Euro headers are fairly priced and give great out put
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2011, 10:01 AM   #11
kennyfrc
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4-Villalona View Post
Euro headers are fairly priced and give great out put
+1

See the dyno thread I started.

Mods: OEM Euro Headers, RPI Scoop

Daily: 2010 Tacoma Double Cab
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2011, 10:43 AM   #12
JeffchaPz
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataStream18 View Post
I have two sets for sale for cheaper then you will find on ebay!! Gaskets included!
What do you have and how much....

Can you post pics?

Thanx.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2011, 11:48 AM   #13
DataStream18
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List

I can polish em up for ya before i ship them out if you'd like too!

$100 obo
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2011, 11:50 AM   #14
kennyfrc
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataStream18 View Post

I can polish em up for ya before i ship them out if you'd like too!

$100 obo
OBX?

Mods: OEM Euro Headers, RPI Scoop

Daily: 2010 Tacoma Double Cab
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2011, 01:02 PM   #15
DataStream18
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
no idea honestly, I bought em before deployment.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2011, 02:00 PM   #16
Jumbosock
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 M coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpower03 View Post
i just want to make one thing clear, these are actually a better fit than on the e46 m3 because the is more room in the engine bay. I can't comment on if you will pass smog tests or not. I personally installed these on my car over 20,000 miles and i have had no problems with them.
The issues with them:
The flanges on the header are thick.
The flanges are not level. This is the problem with the ebay headers. The solution the would solve the problem is use e36 studs. They are inexpensive and can be purchased from getbmwparts.com or any dealership. While you are making the purchase i highly reccomend buying oem gaskets as the ones provided are crap. I also reccomend buying new copper nuts these are inexpensive also.
The only other problem is that the end of the header near the collector, is close to the passenger floor board, so sometimes at a certain rpm it will slightly touch and cause a slight rattling sound.

Those are the main problems with the headers.
I personally agree they are not of the best quality, but if something ever happened to my ebay headers i would replace them with ebay headers again. i dont see spending more than $1000.00 more on something that would save me a little bit on installation. If you research the topic on ebay headers and header installs in general on m3forum.net, you can get a good idea on what is involved. It is not a difficult installation by any means, the only thing required is basic hand tools, a way to lift the car off the ground whether you have a jack and jack stands or a car lift, and patience, it can be installed very simply. I did the install in 4 hours from start to finish, the only reason for that was because one the stud issue, and i had to man handle it lol and two the fact that i had to take them off after i installed them and reinstall them.
All in all it can be done in no time if you either know what your doing or research.

I say DO THEM!
I agree with this post as far as the problems. The issue I have with ebay headers is that I don't want ANY rubbing whatsoever AND the headers can be so unaligned that they may eventually leak. There can be a LOT of force applied just to get them to sit against the engine right. But the main thing is I do not like having to do the job more than once. It's tiresome. I say do it right the first time with oem euro. Oem fit is such luxury when you've experienced a poorly aligned ebay header. I was so exhausted!
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2011, 02:32 PM   #17
DataStream18
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Also I didnt see that you had an M, the ones I'm offering are not for the M. Sorry for the mistake! Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2011, 07:25 PM   #18
mpower03
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbosock View Post
I agree with this post as far as the problems. The issue I have with ebay headers is that I don't want ANY rubbing whatsoever AND the headers can be so unaligned that they may eventually leak. There can be a LOT of force applied just to get them to sit against the engine right. But the main thing is I do not like having to do the job more than once. It's tiresome. I say do it right the first time with oem euro. Oem fit is such luxury when you've experienced a poorly aligned ebay header. I was so exhausted!
if you being exhausted is worth 500 or more dollars than by all means, but it seriously isn't a bad install on these cars.
      09-30-2011, 07:46 PM   #19
Z4-VILLA
Banned
Afghanistan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyfrc View Post
OBX?
dude those headers are gross...get that garbage out of here. seriously. We own M cars....not walmart shopping cars

Last edited by Z4-VILLA; 09-30-2011 at 08:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2011, 07:58 PM   #20
Z4-VILLA
Banned
Afghanistan
Rep

Man up and buy a set of euro headers and never worry again about fitment issues...plus the power is amazing. Even if you heard success stories on ebay headers dont buy into all too soon... I almost went this route but I savvyed up quick and learned the truth about saving money while modding...you spend more down the road. Best of luck
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2011, 08:43 PM   #21
mpower03
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
dude those headers are fucking gross...get that garbage out of here. seriously. We own M cars....not walmart shopping cars
Wow, that is completly rude. I hope you dont go around public like that giving the rest of bmw owners a bad rep.
      09-30-2011, 08:48 PM   #22
mpower03
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Man up and buy a set of euro headers and never worry again about fitment issues...plus the power is amazing. Even if you heard success stories on ebay headers dont buy into all too soon... I almost went this route but I savvyed up quick and learned the truth about saving money while modding...you spend more down the road. Best of luck
Look, to the person who started the thread if you have the money to spend to purchase bettder quality headers, by all means do that. Just remember what you have to gain. Horsepower? Very similar. Quality? Different. Peace of.mind? Debatable. Do tbey dk the job? Yes.