ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

10-10-2012, 09:20 AM   #89
G80indy
Save the Manuals
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z3, E46, G80

many years down the road it will be a collector's car.
"the best of Bangle"
the only example, hahahahah
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2012, 05:33 PM   #90
jrainlay
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loogey Clapp View Post
...the damn things are just beautiful whatever way you look at them. I think there will be many in the future wishing and wanting to have one. On the road, I am still amazed at the number of looks my 6 year old car gets. Which is why I think they WILL become collectible.
I agree! Just about every time I take my 5 year old Z4MC out for a spin, it draws wide-eyed expressions of admiration and envy from people I encounter. I can't count the times people have come up to me at the petrol station to ask about the car. It's one of the best looking autos BMW has ever built. People love the timeless design. This is no ordinary BMW that starts to look dated after 4 or 5 years (I should know... I've had plenty of them!). With its long nose, sweeping curves and wide stance, this car will certainly take it's place in the Pantheon of classic sports cars. And it has the performance to back it up! Combine all of that with low production numbers and you have a sure-fire cult/collectible car.

Last edited by jrainlay; 09-27-2014 at 02:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2014, 04:45 PM   #91
eHelmholtz
TARDIS
Rep
Drives: Z4

I'm seeing a lot of e85/e86 around town these days!
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2014, 09:30 AM   #92
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

They are all over the place here. But if you wave or toot the horn, they either ignore you or give you a dirty look in response. One day last summer my son and I were returning home around 6:30 pm and we spotted a black pre-facelift 3.0i in the neighborhood, so we followed the chap hoping to chat Z4's and he pulled into his driveway; clearly a new car to him. Son and I both said "nice car!!" with enthusasm but the driver looked at us like we were weirdos. "This is awkward: I thought so we promptly drove away.

Its quite the contrast with recent very pleasant conversations I've had with non E85 owners who seem much more eager to talk about BMWs. For example, I've had grand chats recently with E89 owners (an SDrive 35I and an SDrive 35is - and a guy last week with a 2014 M3 who just got it and was wondering about winter storage). But the E85 owners in my town, with the exception of two old friends of mine, are standoff-ish and aloof. Or to use the local vernacular - a bunch of dicksmacks. How very sad.

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2014, 11:21 AM   #93
C-los
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

I know how you feel. I used to see a white Z4M. I'd pull up next to him at the stop sign or light, look over and kind of wait for him to look over so i could wave hi, (while i'm in my Z4M mind you..) He looked at me once, like i was some insane person wanting to rob him.. So i was like **** him, rolled on. I don't get it sometimes. I get more waves from Harley's and Goldwing riders while on my BlackBird than i do waves from other bmw owners. NON-BMW owners wave all the time...
Appreciate 1
      09-23-2014, 11:35 AM   #94
itdnwiwbp
Major
Rep
Drives: 330iZHP

I've completely given up on waving at other cars. As everyone else says, people act like you're insane. They're probably trying to remember how to interact without a like button, I guess.
      09-23-2014, 11:39 AM   #95
Phishman
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Beige car

Quote:
Originally Posted by itdnwiwbp View Post
I've completely given up on waving at other cars. As everyone else says, people act like you're insane. They're probably trying to remember how to interact without a like button, I guess.
I "liked" this post. You're right though.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2014, 01:26 PM   #96
007M
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '007 ///M Coupe & Boxster S

Wow, read this whole thread and it's very interesting. I think there are a couple of things to keep in mind. There are a lot of car cults for different kinds of cars with people that love them. I went up to the Leavenworth Drive and there were 100's of cars and only 2 MCoupes (z4) there. I got lots of people taking pics and people telling me what an awesome car it was. But most people at gas stations will come up and ask me what kind of car it is.

As for the Coupe vs Roadster discussion. I think it comes down to total production numbers and perceived rarity. There are a massive number of z4 roadsters in comparison to z4 coupes. While there is still a disparity between MRoadsters and MCoupes it is nowhere near as large. Because of this large number of z4 roadsters I believe the MRoadsters are perceived as being more common.

From another thread on this forum. Here are the numbers:
Roadsters (non-m) - 175,786
M Roadsters (North America) - 3,042
M Roadsters (Other) - 2,028
E85 Total = 180,856

Coupes (non-m) - 12,819
M Coupes (North America) - 1,815
M Coupes (Other) - 2,460
E86 Total = 17,094

So, when you look at it as lumping all roadsters vs all coupes you see 10x as many roadsters, which is not as true to the 5070 M Roadsters vs 4275 M Coupes being about equivalent. You could say something similar for the z3's of the world but when one goes to buy a z3 you find that there is a definite price jump when you look for an M. Because M owners and buyers know what it is.

Which brings us full circle to the cult/club aspect. In the german automotive world ours is a unique car and the M definitely adds value.

Last edited by 007M; 09-23-2014 at 01:27 PM.. Reason: adding link to other forum post with numbers
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2014, 12:10 PM   #97
DrVolkl
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E93 6spd/ '13 X5M

I bought this car based solely on looks. I think it's going to age very well and will hold it's value for the near future and then begin to climb. Just give it time fellas.

I enjoy driving mine.. definitely a conversation piece.

E93 6spd
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2016, 10:07 AM   #98
Wfbal
Registered
Rep
Drives: Jeep Wrangler

Great Post!

Totally agree with 007M, E86 cars have a much better chance to hold/rise in value.

I see E85 on the street every day but E86 (other than mine) very rarely.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2016, 05:43 PM   #99
SaltyNC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wfbal View Post
Great Post!

Totally agree with 007M, E86 cars have a much better chance to hold/rise in value.

I see E85 on the street every day but E86 (other than mine) very rarely.
Yeah, but that was 2014 and then people found out the S54 vanos throws chunks of metal into the engine at around 50K and by 90K the bearings almost certainly will spin, and the market was flooded with E86's, and no one wanted them anymore. It's a shame, too, because it could have been a great collector car. Luckily, the e85's were only bought by hairdressers when they were first released, and they were driven so easy, they are expected to go to 200K without issue except for maybe needing a clutch at 50K. You know, hairdressers.

Just kidding!

I think the e86 is the more collectible of the two, no doubt about it. That shape is just special and the low volume that were produced. But don't underestimate the appeal of topless. No kidding, if you think about it, older roadsters are still seen as cool by most folks, even in car designs that weren't nearly as cool as the E85. And to have an M roadster, well that's just icing on the cake. I just bought mine to enjoy. It was 10 years old and had only 30K on the odometer when I picked mine up. I just rolled past 40K this week.

Welcome to the forum!

Salty
Aux Port|LED Interior|LED Strip Trunk|Underseat First Aid Box|Stubby Antenna|Intravee II|BMW Oil Change Kit|Top Down Side Panels|Vibra Technics Engine Mounts|Rogue Trans Mounts|Engine Mount Bolts Upgrade|RS Windblocker|Euro Front Plate|M5 Illum Shift Knob|Supersprint Powerloop Exhaust|Gruppe-M Intake|RPI Scoop|Black Grills|19x8.5 ET35 F 19x9.5 ET22 R Sportline 8s PSS| Besian Vanos|CDV Delete
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2016, 03:45 PM   #100
antennahead
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MR silver grey

Garage List
There were 5070 Z4 M Roadsters built internationally and 4275 Z4 M Coupes made internationally, a difference of 795.............. very little difference actually. In time the M version of the Z4 will be more desirable in both variants. I own a roadster, but I appreciate the coupe. It does bug me though that there has been this slight "looking down their nose at the roadster" attitude over the years by coupe owners.......... not so much here as most are true enthusiasts, but the attitude does exist. I agree with Salty, I bought mine to enjoy it. Living in this part of the country on the coast it is top down weather pretty much all year long. Older roadsters seem to grow in appreciation over time as well, as was pointed out...... look at all the '50's and 60's roadsters sold at car auctions. Fast forward to 2046 and I'm guessing mint condition roadsters and coupes will do very well at auction
Appreciate 1
      07-17-2016, 12:56 PM   #101
dazed^
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 M Roadster

I recently saw M roady's listed at or above the price I paid 7 years ago. Looking forward to the next 7 years.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2016, 02:34 PM   #102
KPop
KPop
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Horse and Buggy

I think the M versions of our cars will be increasingly desirable over time. I can't think of a single car in the $30-40k price range that delivers the same level of mechanical feedback and driver excitement as the Z4M. The Cayman S is good, but almost too refined. The Elise, if you can find one, is too "race-car" and hard to live with on a daily basis. The Z4M has the right balance of testosterone and civility that makes it special. I listed my car in the classified section here, but even now I'm considering just keeping it.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2016, 01:50 PM   #103
deemo319
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPop
I think the M versions of our cars will be increasingly desirable over time. I can't think of a single car in the $30-40k price range that delivers the same level of mechanical feedback and driver excitement as the Z4M. The Cayman S is good, but almost too refined. The Elise, if you can find one, is too "race-car" and hard to live with on a daily basis. The Z4M has the right balance of testosterone and civility that makes it special. I listed my car in the classified section here, but even now I'm considering just keeping it.
Keep your car. And I agree with your post. The coupe is desirable and was unique within it minuscule segment when new and even more so now.

E86 M Coupes in excellent condition with current and or updated maintenance records are starting to command serious cash.

The numbers in which the E86 M Coupe were produced for the North American market were tiny over its lifecycle (1,815) and that is in its favor going forward, as people look for a unique car with "feel" and "character" with a heavy dose of "raw" personality as we move closer to driverless cars.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2016, 03:29 PM   #104
wspohn
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtMc View Post

Another question to ask is this: of all of the cars from the 2000-2010 era, which ones could really become collectors items? I would say the z4m is on that list. But many would say the same about the Pontiac solstice coupe. Who has one of those sitting under cover in their garage? Not me!
New Z4MC owner, just saw this thread.

In almost all cases where a convertible and coupe version of a model were offered, the convertible brings more and is more collectible in later years.

The few exceptions include the Mercedes 300 SL, where the gullwing will always be worth more than the convertible, despite the fact that the latter had a more fully developed chassis.

Two others where prices seem to be better for coupe than convertibles (at this point we aren't talking appreciation, but rather a slower depreciation curve) are the Z4MC and the even rarer Pontiac Solstice GXP (less than 1,000 made and less than 300 were manual transmission).

Ask me how I know......(the Solstice is faster but the Z is prettier)

Appreciate 0
      09-26-2016, 03:44 PM   #105
KPop
KPop
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Horse and Buggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wspohn View Post
New Z4MC owner, just saw this thread.

In almost all cases where a convertible and coupe version of a model were offered, the convertible brings more and is more collectible in later years.

The few exceptions include the Mercedes 300 SL, where the gullwing will always be worth more than the convertible, despite the fact that the latter had a more fully developed chassis.

Two others where prices seem to be better for coupe than convertibles (at this point we aren't talking appreciation, but rather a slower depreciation curve) are the Z4MC and the even rarer Pontiac Solstice GXP (less than 1,000 made and less than 300 were manual transmission).

Stock-for-stock, the Z4M is a good bit faster than the Solstice GXP in all performance measures, unless yours is tuned.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2016, 09:18 AM   #106
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Quote:

Ummm, no. Per Road and Track http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars...-solstice-gxp/ The turbocharged version of the Solstice is NOT faster than a Z4M.

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2016, 04:25 PM   #107
wspohn
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPop View Post
Stock-for-stock, the Z4M is a good bit faster than the Solstice GXP in all performance measures, unless yours is tuned.
Mine has been slightly modified, both as to chassis/handling and engine, which now puts out 375 bhp/375 Tq. It also weighs a couple of hundred pounds less than the BMW. Does 1/4 in the 12.9 range, vs, the Z4M, which was what - 13.4?

But the sound of the BMW is sublime and the styling is right up my alley.

I'll be keeping both in the collection!
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2016, 12:29 PM   #108
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Quote:
Mine has been slightly modified, both as to chassis/handling and engine, which now puts out 375 bhp/375 Tq. It also weighs a couple of hundred pounds less than the BMW. Does 1/4 in the 12.9 range, vs, the Z4M, which was what - 13.4?

But the sound of the BMW is sublime and the styling is right up my alley.

I'll be keeping both in the collection!
What did you do to get those numbers out of the GXP? I knew about the GM produced LNF upgrade to get 290hp and 340 ft/lbs.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2016, 12:50 PM   #109
wspohn
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickdr View Post
What did you do to get those numbers out of the GXP? I knew about the GM produced LNF upgrade to get 290hp and 340 ft/lbs.
Very simple, actually. Just fitted a stock turbo unit that had a slightly larger impeller wheel on it and had it retuned to suit. That represents the lower end of modifications to these engines, but I like to keep it reliable.

Many owners are getting between 400 and 500 bhp (somewhere around the lower number, the cautious owner switches from hypereutectic to forged pistons and many also go to a new forged con rod). Otherwise the engines are built like tanks and can take an amazing amount of abuse. Just wish GM would create a V8 using two banks of LNF heads - 800 bhp out of 4 litres that got 30 mpg on the highway would be kind of neat! Their LS series is so successful that they don't need to do that sort of thing, though.

Last edited by wspohn; 10-08-2016 at 09:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2017, 09:11 PM   #110
TeufelZ
Rep
Drives: 2004 z4 3.0i

Hey guys,

Not sure if anyone still reads this after 6 years but I bought a 2004 z4 3.0i. I had a 2013 FRS along with my z4 but I recently got the FRS totaled. I've had my thoughts about selling the z4 to buy another FRS because those cars are just as good. Now before anyone thrashes what I have to say, I get that BMW cars are the "ULTIMATE DRIVING MACHINE," but the FRS is just that good when its driven.

After driving my z4 because im basically forced to everyday now, I am starting to love it more and more but i'm still not sure if its a car worth keeping for a long period of time. For a college student, maintenance gets pretty rough especially playing for gas. Not that it's a problem but I do like to save some extra cash for my pocket to go out and eat. Nonetheless, I wish to keep the z4 and have the FRS back in my garage and hopefully i'll have enough to buy another someday.

My 2004 3.0i z4 has red interior with that gray mixed in as well. Wished that it was red and black but I believe its what they had at the time for the sterling silver exterior. I bought this car second hand with 115k now sitting after 2 years at 136k...wwooooowww. Had run into a few problems such as blowing white smoke, oil leaks, my auto dimming mirrors both left and right side leaking fluids, driver side headlight turning yellow and oem hid failing also my SMG pump failed(yes, my z4 isn't an auto nor a manual) and I had changed all engine, diff and trans fluids and changed the belts and pulleys. After all the changes, my car runs smoother and faster than before but I still don't know if the price that I put into fixing it is worth it. Worth it or not, I do plan on keeping it for a while at least after dumping so much money into it. So bare with me because I do like slammed cars.

I built this car to be slammed so what I spent is an average or just estimating what I spent so far...

spark plugs $70
Motul engine oil$60
Motul trans fluid $40
Motul diff fluid $30
6 coilpacks $120
engine pulleys + belts + smg pump + service $2300
driverside headlight $970
aftermarket hid bulbs (bright af) $30
bc racing coilovers extreme lows $500
custom straight pipe to blast pipe exhaust $450
front and rear reinforcement plates $60
federal rsrr tires 225 f 265 r $550
custom personal steering wheel $300
works bell hub and quick release $700
no thread to thread shift knob adapter $11
shift knob extension 4 inch $11
buddyclub spec a shift knob $50
forgot the name but its a 3 point strut bar on top the engine $180

I bought my car for $7,000 and total repairs and mods I have done is $6432 but not including all the oil changes I have done every 5k miles.

So in conclusion, I have mixed feelings about the z4. I am still very indecisive about selling or keeping it. I'm no sure if I even see this car as a collectible or my specific model year and options it has. I however have not seen many SMG roadsters around but I suppose it is a cult no? Seems like it to me. Either you hate these cars or love it. I'm stuck debating if this is the right car for me or not.
Appreciate 0