ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Cosmetics Modification (Exterior/Interior) Discussions
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-27-2010, 10:43 PM   #1
racerbruce
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 X3 & 13 335is E93

Venture Shield Just Installed!!

http://www.ventureshield.com/

PERFECT install by Ben at Park Place Ltd in Bellevue, WA....it's nearly invisible on my Imola Red.

Regards
      04-27-2010, 10:57 PM   #2
Thisisdudewhoru
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 BSM 340i

Thanks for letting us know!
      04-28-2010, 06:57 AM   #3
dekaliber
Major
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC, '11 JCW, '18 Z06

Pretty sweet. Got any pics? How much did it set you back?
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2010, 08:17 AM   #4
racerbruce
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 X3 & 13 335is E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by dekaliber View Post
Pretty sweet. Got any pics? How much did it set you back?
$995

Amortized this expense into the purchase or appx $18 additional/month
      05-26-2010, 11:36 AM   #5
lstratos
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i

I'm doing this on my own.. I done it for all my car since 2002 (accord, golf, tsx) and now a Z4.. Had 3m, armor shield, xpel, and now Venture.. I think it's all pretty much same company

Did you have wax on the car before install or was it clean and prepped and installed ?

Anyway, so I plan to wash the car, clay it, and install the venture shield on it.. I been searching through a lot of the forums and can't find the proper way to wash it so that I can strip or remove the existing wax so this bonds better. I couldn't find if it was better to have this over bare paint or waxed paint. In the past, it's always over bare non waxed paint. The last one i did was in 2005 and it still looks new..
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2010, 11:54 AM   #6
nmulax
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupé  [7.66]
Using a wash like the Chemical Guys Citrus Wash & Gloss will help pull any existing wax.
Or do a 50/50 mix of distilled water and isopropyl alcohol in a spray bottle and wipe down the area being covered with the film.

I've heard that 3M did purchase Venturshield; but that the film is still different. If I recall correctly, the Venturshield doesn't have the clear-coat protection that 3M has... but is slightly thicker and also resembles the factory paint finish more closely. I've gone with Ventureshield on my cars.
      05-26-2010, 05:01 PM   #7
lstratos
Private First Class
Rep

Yes, that is true, if you go to venture shield, it redirects to 3m site.. my shield does not say 3m, hopefully its the old style.. ill check if its different from my other car
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2010, 05:25 PM   #8
dekaliber
Major
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC, '11 JCW, '18 Z06

Quote:
Originally Posted by lstratos View Post
I'm doing this on my own.. I done it for all my car since 2002 (accord, golf, tsx) and now a Z4.. Had 3m, armor shield, xpel, and now Venture.. I think it's all pretty much same company

Did you have wax on the car before install or was it clean and prepped and installed ?

Anyway, so I plan to wash the car, clay it, and install the venture shield on it.. I been searching through a lot of the forums and can't find the proper way to wash it so that I can strip or remove the existing wax so this bonds better. I couldn't find if it was better to have this over bare paint or waxed paint. In the past, it's always over bare non waxed paint. The last one i did was in 2005 and it still looks new..
Where do you buy the film from and what's the installation like? Do you get the ones die cut to your car, or the bulk rolls? Would love to see a DIY on this -- I'm getting a new bumper and the aero side skirts and figured I might as well install the Ventureshield before I put them on my car.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2010, 07:40 PM   #9
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Me

Garage List
I had the 3M installed on my M and it is simply amazing. Absolutely no nicks or marks after 6000 miles and two track days.

I also had the film installed on the rocker panels since they get a lot of rock damage over time also.

For the comment of a DIY, I really recommend that you have some professional do it.
Even though the film that was installed on the front was pre-cut, they really had to mold it to the contours of the bumper. The rockers were covered with one large sheet from front to back. It took the 'professionals' three hours to install.

I think the OP will really like his new 'protection' for the car....
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2010, 11:16 PM   #10
lstratos
Private First Class
Rep

The only reason I'm pulling a DIY is because I done so many iphones and blackberry, they have more curves than a Z Ill be doing it next weekend after I buy all the clay and stuff to clean the car..
Appreciate 0