ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-21-2016, 07:50 PM   #1
J-Thurm
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 bmw z4 coupe 3.0si

headlight paint is peeling due to painting them black sapphire metallic..need help!

I had the inside housing of my headlights painted sapphire black metallic like my car (2007 bmw z4 coupe) and they have bubbled up and made the headlights shine all over the place. I wish I would have known this before I made the decision to paint them this color. I want to take them back apart and paint them the STOCK black that they use. Does anyone know if this would work if I strip the paint off and use whatever stock paint it is or do I have to buy completely new headlights? I had Erik from Tekarbon do this with angel eyes as well. Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2016, 09:00 PM   #2
AmmarYasirA
Ammar
United_States
Rep
Drives: a lot

Im sure the paint color itself wasnt the issue, but moreso the paint itself. Not much help but it was worth mentioning.
      07-21-2016, 10:31 PM   #3
J-Thurm
Second Lieutenant
Rep

That's what I figured. I was just hoping I could save them somehow. Do they make bi-xenon headlights with the stock black housing? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2016, 07:46 AM   #4
tominizer
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Roadster

If I understand what you are saying, this is a common issue with painting the inside housing. It's a heat thing. Getting a proper bond to the plastic has been something DIY-ers have been chasing for a long time, not just with BMW's. The headlight heat causes the paint to delaminate. I had the same issue when I did my Mini Couper S.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2016, 09:42 AM   #5
AmmarYasirA
Ammar
United_States
Rep
Drives: a lot

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Thurm
That's what I figured. I was just hoping I could save them somehow. Do they make bi-xenon headlights with the stock black housing? Thanks.
I THINK there's an OEM version of this. See it on a few regular Z4's with black housing. Pretty sure theyre bi-xenons as well. However, Id say itd be cheaper to just redo your current housings again, just with better paint. May want to go with a paint that's better suited for heat.
      07-22-2016, 07:34 PM   #6
J-Thurm
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmmarYasirA View Post
I THINK there's an OEM version of this. See it on a few regular Z4's with black housing. Pretty sure theyre bi-xenons as well. However, Id say itd be cheaper to just redo your current housings again, just with better paint. May want to go with a paint that's better suited for heat.
I just didn't think you could paint them at all. Do you think taking that paint off and painting them again will correct the lighting on the road as well? It seemed to mess up the lighting completely after I had them painted. Thanks for the reply.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2016, 11:21 PM   #7
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
The paint bubbling on the reflector shouldn't make the "headlights shine all over the place". The bi-xenon projector works independent housing around the headlight so that shouldn't effect the light output at all. Regardless, it must look like crap. I would have thought Tekarbon would have known if the paint would have held up or not before they did they work. Did they say anything about using automotive body paint for inside the headlight assemblies?

I put bi-xenon projectors in my S10 pickup with standard 4"x6" rectangular headlights and painted the chrome reflectors with black high temp BBQ paint. The paint has been on there for many years and has not bubbled or peeled and those headlights assemblies are tiny and get much hotter then the large Z4 headlight assemblies.

Name:  zr2 headlight.jpg
Views: 1212
Size:  58.7 KB

Name:  zr2 headlight 2.jpg
Views: 1245
Size:  50.8 KB

Name:  zr2 headlight 3.jpg
Views: 1237
Size:  107.2 KB

Name:  zr2 headlight 4.jpg
Views: 1288
Size:  105.5 KB
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2016, 01:24 AM   #8
Westersund
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW

Did you use epoxy/etching primer before you painted the headlights?
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2016, 02:25 AM   #9
J-Thurm
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pungo View Post
The paint bubbling on the reflector shouldn't make the "headlights shine all over the place". The bi-xenon projector works independent housing around the headlight so that shouldn't effect the light output at all. Regardless, it must look like crap. I would have thought Tekarbon would have known if the paint would have held up or not before they did they work. Did they say anything about using automotive body paint for inside the headlight assemblies?

I put bi-xenon projectors in my S10 pickup with standard 4"x6" rectangular headlights and painted the chrome reflectors with black high temp BBQ paint. The paint has been on there for many years and has not bubbled or peeled and those headlights assemblies are tiny and get much hotter then the large Z4 headlight assemblies.

Attachment 1462906

Attachment 1462907

Attachment 1462908

Attachment 1462909
Where did you get the black high temp BBQ paint? I just want the housing(s) black, so do you think this paint would work better than using power coating? I just want them black, it doesn't really matter what I use I guess...but I don't want them peeling bubbling up. I actually sent them back to TEKARBON twice to get them painted and they started bubbling up both times. The headlights he put on youtube are actually my headlights before they started bubbling. The angel eyes he installed also went out twice, I still need to fix the passenger side and find an inverter to replace the one that burned out. Thanks for your response.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2016, 02:31 AM   #10
J-Thurm
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Also, the housing is chrome because it extends the width of the beam. I think that's why my lights are looking all messed up and all over the place. I hope after I paint them again with whatever I decide to use will fix this issue somehow.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2016, 08:13 AM   #11
gregp553
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Thurm View Post
Where did you get the black high temp BBQ paint? I just want the housing(s) black, so do you think this paint would work better than using power coating? I just want them black, it doesn't really matter what I use I guess...but I don't want them peeling bubbling up. I actually sent them back to TEKARBON twice to get them painted and they started bubbling up both times. The headlights he put on youtube are actually my headlights before they started bubbling. The angel eyes he installed also went out twice, I still need to fix the passenger side and find an inverter to replace the one that burned out. Thanks for your response.
I have seen and purchased black bbq paint at hardware stores and big box stores. Also hi-temp paint available at fireplace stores. The prep of the surface is equally important I would think.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2016, 09:36 AM   #12
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westersund View Post
Did you use epoxy/etching primer before you painted the headlights?
No primer, I just used sandpaper and scotchbright pads to dull/remove the chrome, cleaned the surface very well, then spayed several light coats of the BBQ paint.

Quote:
Where did you get the black high temp BBQ paint?
Any good hardware store should carry it. It's all about proper prep.

Quote:
Also, the housing is chrome because it extends the width of the beam. I think that's why my lights are looking all messed up and all over the place. I hope after I paint them again with whatever I decide to use will fix this issue somehow.
No, the chrome does not extend the width of the beam, the projector does that. The beam pattern of the projector is the same whether it's in the headlight assembly or on a workbench. The Chrome is cosmetic. Some of the headlights have black housings.

Last edited by pungo; 07-23-2016 at 10:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2016, 10:58 AM   #13
rsutoratosu
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i

you can get high temp bbq paint anywhere, home depot, etc amazon

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Oleu...8502/100645381

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Oleu...8830/202315061 - spray. so issue is some paint etches, they will eat plastic.. you better test before you commit and see your headlight melted by the paint

https://www.amazon.com/Rust-Oleum-24...ords=bbq+paint

amazon - prime it
      07-23-2016, 11:15 PM   #14
J-Thurm
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I just wasn't sure about spray painting the housings on these headlights. I guess if it works, I'll go for it. How many coats/cans of spray paint did you use for the lights? I'm going to take them apart tomorrow, I just figured I would have to spend a bunch of money on some high temp high quality black paint somewhere, but if this works I guess not.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2016, 06:17 AM   #15
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

Quote:
It's all about proper prep.
Indeed.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2016, 09:06 AM   #16
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I just wasn't sure about spray painting the housings on these headlights. I guess if it works, I'll go for it. How many coats/cans of spray paint did you use for the lights? I'm going to take them apart tomorrow, I just figured I would have to spend a bunch of money on some high temp high quality black paint somewhere, but if this works I guess not.
High temp spray paint will work if the surface is prepped properly. One can should do it. 5 light coats waiting 10 minutes between coats will cover it. The bigger issue to going to be getting all the old paint off. Chemical stripper will probably melt the plastic. Sanding is going to be difficult due to all the curves and crevices.

Why aren't you going back to Tekarbon to fix them since you probably paid a large sum of money for them to do work that failed? Do they not warranty their work?
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2016, 10:44 PM   #17
J-Thurm
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
High temp spray paint will work if the surface is prepped properly. One can should do it. 5 light coats waiting 10 minutes between coats will cover it. The bigger issue to going to be getting all the old paint off. Chemical stripper will probably melt the plastic. Sanding is going to be difficult due to all the curves and crevices.

Why aren't you going back to Tekarbon to fix them since you probably paid a large sum of money for them to do work that failed? Do they not warranty their work?
I just really don't want to ship them all the way over to California for a third time just to have it happen again, so I'm taking a different route this time. I just hope I can get the existing paint off of them, so i can go ahead and spray them down like you mentioned.
Appreciate 0