ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > Z4 DIY (Do It Yourself) Articles
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

02-21-2009, 02:10 PM   #1
andrewj7
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 Coupe (#40) w/Nav,Sprt,Prem

Installing an Intree

This morning I finally got around to installing my Intravee II and Alpine KCA-420i. It's all working and the car is back together. Mostly with help from this thread

I was worried that the trunk lining removal would not be the same on the Coupe as apposed to the M-Coupe. Turns out it's relatively similar.

Equipment
Tools
  • Screwdrivers
  • Scissors
  • Knife
  • Zip Ties
  • Velcro tape

Remove the lighting panel from behind the rear lights and the lug right by them that's holding the carpet in. Then remove the floor of the trunk and the two lugs which hold the remainder of the carpet down. At this point I had to remove the plastic lining across the back (by the catch) of the trunk. This made it easier to remove the side carpet. The lining then peals away once you've given it a good pull. At this point you'll be able to release the two catches that hold the side liner to the one in the firewall. Then remove the lug from the top of the lining and the two pieces will come free. Then you can pull the lining off the firewall. It should end up looking like this

Then you're free to connect the Intravee and Alpine KCA-420i according to the instructions. At this point I tested everything worked before setting about mounting the boxes. I used velco tape to mount the Alpine up in the black metal frame and the put the Intravee directly onto the firewall. This means the existing CD changer cables don't have to run to far. You do need to trim back the foam padding which is attached to the firewall liner (the big white block in the picture above)

I wanted the iPod to be stored in the area below the Nav system DVD drive. For that I took a drill to the back of the storage box and made a hole just big enough for the cable to get through.

A few zip ties for the cables and then clipping all the carpet back in and screwing all the plastic back. It was all done! A total of 1 hour and 30 mins.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2009, 10:15 AM   #2
nmulax
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupé  [7.66]
Looks great!
I still have to do this on my coupe.